Home Non Cigar Related

Anti-Virus/Firewall Suite

sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
So I just got a new laptop with Windows 7 (64-bit). Any recommendations on anti-virus/firewall software?

Comments

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    antivirus - look no further than avast! or avg. firewall, if you are behind a router all the time dont bother. if you dont need to be picky about opening ports to run internet services, use the firewall integrated into windows, it is good enough for most people.
  • GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    Windows Security Essentials or AVG free version both are completely free and get the job done just fine.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I use a combination of 3 free programs and have had great results. They are ZoneAlarm, Avast, and Spybot.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    +1 on Avast!.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I use Spybot, Comodo, and Malewarebytes
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Avast is good. Also download stinger, and update it on a regular basis. I use it on a flash drive and scan once and a while. Also if you have comcast you download norton for free.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Hayblet:
    +1000 on Malewarebytes, one of the best free software, other than that i also use something free like avast or avg. OP stay away from **** sites as well ;)
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    avast. that's what my computer-genius and programmer friend suggested.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bigbgballz:
    Hayblet:
    +1000 on Malewarebytes, one of the best free software, other than that i also use something free like avast or avg. OP stay away from **** sites as well ;)
    not all **** sites are bad, just stay away from those, free sites that have tones of ads.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    bigbgballz:
    Hayblet:
    not all **** sites are bad, just stay away from those, free sites that have tones of ads.
    Just like rules when you're going out to the bars.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    sightunseen:
    phobicsquirrel:
    bigbgballz:
    Hayblet:
    Just like rules when you're going out to the bars.

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    for anyone who doesn't know already, the new issue of consumer reports rates/reviews anti-virus and internet security suites both pay and free versions. I like AVG, but imo uses too much system resources and is about 80% effective, and frankly, is annoying. There are alot more options out there that are less intrusive and use less resources. I believe Avira is probably my #1 choice, and MS Security Essentials my #2. Both free suites. FYI...Avira was also rated #1 by Consumer Reports.

"Long ashes my friends."

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I have used zone alarm in the past, it was always good. I dont recomend running an anti spyware all the time, they dont really help all that much and take up a lot of resources.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Thanks to all for the suggestions.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    for anyone who doesn't know already, the new issue of consumer reports rates/reviews anti-virus and internet security suites both pay and free versions. I like AVG, but imo uses too much system resources and is about 80% effective, and frankly, is annoying. There are alot more options out there that are less intrusive and use less resources. I believe Avira is probably my #1 choice, and MS Security Essentials my #2. Both free suites. FYI...Avira was also rated #1 by Consumer Reports.
    I use Antivira. Great program. I also use CCleaner, and Hijack This.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Kind of a heads up there is one NASTY hitchhiker virus out there right now with no way to purge atm you go to click on a google link and it sends you to a dummy site which infects you with trojans, I purged trojans twice couldn't find where the little f%^ker was hiding and was forced to reformat... good side is I got Windows 7 out of it but still was a royal pita to have to do all that.