Home General Discussion

Beetles

zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
Just for my reference, how do you identify if you have them? Like will I actually see them in my humidor or do they hide in cigars?

Only reason I ask is cause in some of my cigar cellos there is pieces of tabacco, just like a small part, in others I dont. Tabacco from cigar being transportation is what I am thinkin on a few.

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Look at your cigars and see if there are small pin-sized holes. The holes are formed when the beetles hatch inside the cigar and start eating their way outside.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    thanks fellas. Tony...you mean on the side of the cigars right, not at the opening right?
    zeebra:
    thanks fellas. Tony...you mean on the side of the cigars right, not at the opening right?
    Yea, on the wrapper, not at the foot. That link is a good article.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    If you have the Beetles in your box, I'd imagine quite a lot of music coming out of there... Maybe to be sure - start playing "Girl" and see how they react... JK.. lame joke... lol
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    *** WARNING - THIS MAY BE GRAPHIC AND CAUSE NIGHTMARES ***

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that picture. Just tryin to expand my knowledge on em.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    zeebra:
    Thanks for that picture. Just tryin to expand my knowledge on em.
    No problem. Remember, knowing is half the battle.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    nightmaremike31:
    *twitch* Not only do I have nightmares, but now I have a permanent eye twitch
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    nightmaremike31:

Oh great now I have to go inspect all my sticks. Oh well might as well burn one while I am at it.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    nightmaremike31:

Doesnt that Just BLOW Donkey Dicks!
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Damn, that's a shame.....makes me itch..I would never wish this upon anyone.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    That pic makes me volcanically angry... and they arent even my sticks...

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    All these pics are creepy. What kind of stupid bug would eat premium sticks LOL
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    fla-gypsy:
    I Googled it - not ONE SINGLE recorded case of cigar beetles in the history of Swisher Sweets.

Guess even bugs have better taste than that. :-D >br>
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    nightmaremike31:

Can't. Sleep. Too. Scared.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    much like you and me, those bugs ENJOY premium tobacco. i dont blame them, i just dislike them.
  • I've been gifted several beetle infested sticks.  I still smoke them, albeit in a campfire.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    so i have a cigar that got hit decently bad with a beetle...let me ask....it was wrapped in the plastic wrap as always...will that beetle go from one cigar to the next?
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    so i have a cigar that got hit decently bad with a beetle...let me ask....it was wrapped in the plastic wrap as always...will that beetle go from one cigar to the next?
    Beetles can chew through cello. To be safe you should freeze everything that was in the humidor.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    Beetles can chew through cello. To be safe you should freeze everything that was in the humidor.
    will freezing kill them?, haven't seen any, but, would freezing cigars received during conditions that they hatch under do them in? Possibly a preventative measure?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    sightunseen:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    will freezing kill them?, haven't seen any, but, would freezing cigars received during conditions that they hatch under do them in? Possibly a preventative measure?
    I believe freezing is both a preventative measure and a treatment. There is an article on the first page of this thread that goes into more detail.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    after a few minutes of research and a call to ccom...here is what i was told..beetle...the bastards that strive to eat our prized possessions....you should get a double seal freezer ziplock bag....put all ur sticks in there, then put them in the fridge for 24 hours... then freeze them for 24 hours....then back to the fridge for 24 hours....after the 72 hours you can put them back in ur humi after you cleaned it out of course...lol.. Dam,....i cant smoke for 72 hours....*** guys....i dont know how ill handle myself!