Home Cigar 101

New to smoking cigars

Hey everyone my name is Steve and I'm new to smoking cigars. I'm good friends with lilwing88. I'm just wondering if anybody knows of some good med. body cigars I can start out with and then work my way up to full body cigars. I'm thinking about buying the tin man sampler is that a good one to buy for my first set.

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I'm a mild-medium guy and these are some of my favs already...

nub connie
    nub maduro
    montecristo white
    oliva connie
    5 vegas gold
    predomo reserve 10th champange
    tabak especial by drew estates (cafe con leche) , this one is infused and sweet

Welcome to the forums Steve!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    A big sampler like that is a great way to go. It will give you a wide variety of cigars, and you can let a bunch of them rest since you'll be getting a lot of cigars. There are so many great cigars out there in the "medium body" range that I'm not sure where to start. Brands like 5 Vegas, Perdomo, Padilla, Rocky Patel and a few others make many of their cigars in the "medium" range. There are only a few blends from those brands that I would classify as "Full bodied."

Either way, welcome to the site! lilwing is a great guy and we're happy to have friends of his join us!
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums. The Tin Man sampler offers good variety and I agree it's a good place to start. Another thing you might want to do is to sign up for the Cigar of the Month Club, which is a great way to sample.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143
    Welcome! I'd suggest Nub Cameroon, Oliva Serie G (Cameroon or Maduro), Nica Libre, or Perdomo Lot 23. There are so many possibilities out there, so do a little browsing around here, see what interests you, and just go for it!
  • Ironmick63Ironmick63 Posts: 100
    Thanks zeebra, I wrote them down and I'll be sure to try them all out. Thanks again
    Thanks alot for the information means alot. Lilwing is going to help me on my way.
    I was thinking about something like that to do to get my feet wet. Thanks for the information
    Thanks for the information, I wrote those down and I will make sure I try all of them and some more in the near future. Thanks again
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Try the "Quote" button so your responses to other members are better organized.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    Welcome to the forums. The Tin Man sampler offers good variety and I agree it's a good place to start. Another thing you might want to do is to sign up for the Cigar of the Month Club, which is a great way to sample.
    totally in agreement, especially regarding COTM club, think about the review section in the CCOM magazine, buy the mild and/or medium collection that was reviewed. Gives you a little info, a broad spectrum of good choices, you might also consider the House Blend sampler. Oh, don't get too carried away, time yourself, stick to one or two sticks a day for awhile, preferrably on a full stomach. Enjoy!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    zeebra:

nub connie
    nub maduro
    montecristo white
    oliva connie
    5 vegas gold

These are all great cigars. You can't go wrong with anything on this list. The 5 Vegas Gold is more of an everyday cigar but for the price it can't be beat.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    When I started I ordered the Medium sampler and loved every stick. some of the highlights were

RP Decade
    RJ Viejo
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    One of my favorite mild-med sticks at the moment has to be the Camacho Connie. I love that cigar and didnt see it listed here.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    zeebra:

nub connie
    nub maduro
    montecristo white
    oliva connie
    5 vegas gold

Dont forget the CCom Purple Label - excellent price point, and a SUPER delicious, super creamy mild. For that matter, you should definitely pick up the CCom Blend sampler - lots of different types of smokes in there for you to give a try, and its easy on the wallet as well!

Welcome to the forums Steve! Lilwing88 is good dude & should be an excellent guide for you - in cigars, not baseball. Smelly Cubs fan.... :-D

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    sightunseen:
    +1 on the Cigar of the Month club. I dont know how often you smoke, but the CotM sampler gives you 1 Featured cigar, 2 Recommended cigars, and 2 Everyday cigars for a total of 5. For me when I first started out, it was perfect - had one cigar per week, plus the Featured cigar for a special occasion thru the month, and then the next box showed up!

It also comes with a newsletter which helped me out tremendously in figuring out what I like & what I dont. For example, I started noticing that a lot of cigars I liked were Nicaraguans, that a lot of them I didnt like had sumatra wrappers, etc. I highly recommend the sampler to all who are getting started. Enjoy!

The Sniper:
    zeebra:

nub connie
    nub maduro
    montecristo white
    oliva connie
    5 vegas gold

Dont forget the CCom Purple Label - excellent price point, and a SUPER delicious, super creamy mild. For that matter, you should definitely pick up the CCom Blend sampler - lots of different types of smokes in there for you to give a try, and its easy on the wallet as well!

Welcome to the forums Steve! Lilwing88 is good dude & should be an excellent guide for you - in cigars, not baseball. Smelly Cubs fan.... :-D

Thanks for the information. I have to go with Lilwing88 with the cubbies also.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    welcome to the forums. stick around and you will learn a lot.