Home Cigar 101

pillow and herfador

bobdbobd Posts: 71

Headed on a 5 day trip today and I am packing my sticks.  How many of you use a water pillow in your herfador and is it ok to lay it on top of your sticks (they are in cello)?  Could the pillow actaully over-humidify the cigars in a container that seals that tightly? thanks, bob

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Ive always used pillows in my herfdor just as you described it, and have never had an issue. Enjoy your trip, and the smokes!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the pillow will over humidify.

the herfador will keep the RH without anything helping if you ad a drop or two of distilled to the foam thingie in there.

however, i have come up with a better way of keeping good RH in a herfador

get a metal tubo and punch a few hundred holes in it with a small paperclip. fill tube with beads.

travel humidification.

• AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Great idea.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    kuzi16:
    the pillow will over humidify.

the herfador will keep the RH without anything helping if you ad a drop or two of distilled to the foam thingie in there.

however, i have come up with a better way of keeping good RH in a herfador

get a metal tubo and punch a few hundred holes in it with a small paperclip. fill tube with beads.

travel humidification.

Actually, Yoda reminded me of another good idea - if you're willing to sacrifice one space, you could check out something called a drymistat tube. Along the same lines as kuzi's idea, except somebody else builds it for you. Just another option...

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I use a pillow in my herfador (15 ct.) and have not had a problem with it over-humidifying the cigars, they're definitely on the higher end of the acceptable RH spectrum, but I've had no problems. Tip: don't use a fully charged pillow, try and get it down to about half-charged, that way it will tend to hold a lower RH.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    j0z3r:
    I use a pillow in my herfador (15 ct.) and have not had a problem with it over-humidifying the cigars, they're definitely on the higher end of the acceptable RH spectrum, but I've had no problems. Tip: don't use a fully charged pillow, try and get it down to about half-charged, that way it will tend to hold a lower RH.
    yea i found this one out the hard way. had my buddy take my 10 ct travel humi with water pillow and 2 camachos and made them almost like a sponge. it sucked lol. almost ruined them if i didnt let them sit out of the humi for a couple hours