Home Cigar 101

Humidity issues

I'm relatively new to the cigar world, having first started in on the adventure about a year ago.  Since then I've accumulated a small fortune worth of cigars, which I house in my 300 count humidor.  The problem is that I purchased two Humi-care rectangular humidifiers to replace the poorly constructed foam-based ones the humidor came with, and can't seem to get the humidity under 77%, even using 50/50 PG solution.  I keep the temperature constant between 68-70 degrees, and the humidity in the rest of the room is 45-50%.  Using the same hygrometer (calibrated), the Humi-care jar in my small 20 count humidor holds a constant 69-70%.  I'd really like to avoid any problems with mold/beetles/etc., and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    convert to beads from heatfelt industries. they are designed to soak up humidity above a level and let it off below a level. i got 65% beads. they work great.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    2 of those humi cares in a 300ct might be a little overkill and I am surprised that the humicare jar isn't too much for the 20ct. I would take one of them out and see what the humidity does. That and do what kuzi says and get some beads instead. But for now, see how just one of the humicares does.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    ironhorse:
    2 of those humi cares in a 300ct might be a little overkill and I am surprised that the humicare jar isn't too much for the 20ct. I would take one of them out and see what the humidity does. That and do what kuzi says and get some beads instead. But for now, see how just one of the humicares does.
    +1
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I'm with ironhorse, try just 1 of those rectangular humidifiers.

I'd also suggest, and I do this regularly; place both hygrometers next to each other in the same humi and see if they read the same for about 12 hours or overnight should do, if they don't read nthe same you can bet at least one of them is miscalibrated! If they both do read the same (and don't worry about them being 1% - 2% apart) chance of them both being off by the same amount is negligible therefore you know they are both correct!!!!

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I bought one of those rectangular humicare humidifiers a few years ago. It always spiked my rh way too high. They don't work very well. I second the beads suggestion, or go with boveda packs if you're not into water and spraying.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Audiguy94:
    I'm relatively new to the cigar world, having first started in on the adventure about a year ago.  Since then I've accumulated a small fortune worth of cigars, which I house in my 300 count humidor.  The problem is that I purchased two Humi-care rectangular humidifiers to replace the poorly constructed foam-based ones the humidor came with, and can't seem to get the humidity under 77%, even using 50/50 PG solution.  I keep the temperature constant between 68-70 degrees, and the humidity in the rest of the room is 45-50%.  Using the same hygrometer (calibrated), the Humi-care jar in my small 20 count humidor holds a constant 69-70%.  I'd really like to avoid any problems with mold/beetles/etc., and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    check these out...

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL
  • Audiguy94Audiguy94 Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I isolated the problem as the humidifiers themselves.  I took out the humi-care packs and put them in a separate container, and within a couple hours they shot the humidity in that container to 80% (this is with a 50/50 PG solution).  I'll be ordering some of the beads you all suggested tonight.  Will it be ok to open up the humi-care packs and just replace their shoddy gel with the beads?  Also with the beads do I just use distilled water or PG solution?
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Audiguy94:
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I isolated the problem as the humidifiers themselves.  I took out the humi-care packs and put them in a separate container, and within a couple hours they shot the humidity in that container to 80% (this is with a 50/50 PG solution).  I'll be ordering some of the beads you all suggested tonight.  Will it be ok to open up the humi-care packs and just replace their shoddy gel with the beads?  Also with the beads do I just use distilled water or PG solution?
    Just make sure you clean out those jars real good and you should be fine; some soap and water should do the trick

To your second question, you only use distilled water (about $1 for a gallon), an only use it until 70% or 3/4 of them are clear. You never use tap water or PG because then the minerals/PG solution will clog up the beads and ruin them