Home Cigar 101

Humidor question--again

Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
So, I have my calibrated electronic hygrometer in my humidor and have noticed something that I wonder if I should be concerned about.

My humi states it holds about 75 cigars and does this by having a tray inside. I like the look of the analog hygrometer in the lid, so I have kept it there while placing a calibrated electronic hygrometer on the tray or on the bottom. The rectangular humidifier is also in the lid.

When the electronic hygrometer is on the bottom of the humi it reads 70% ish. When it is on the tray away from the humidifier is is 72%. Last night I placed it on the tray apparently directly below the humidifier (when the lid is closed) It read 82% this am.

So...the question; Should I be concerned about placing cigars on the tray beneath the humidifier???

Comments

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    You should switch to using beads from Heartfelt industries, or an equivelant clone product.
  • Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    I am planning on it, but have some travel issues over the next couple of weeks to get it set up.

In the meantime?
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    In the meantime I would avoid putting them directly beneath the humidifier.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Husker44:
    So, I have my calibrated electronic hygrometer in my humidor and have noticed something that I wonder if I should be concerned about. My humi states it holds about 75 cigars and does this by having a tray inside. I like the look of the analog hygrometer in the lid, so I have kept it there while placing a calibrated electronic hygrometer on the tray or on the bottom. The rectangular humidifier is also in the lid. When the electronic hygrometer is on the bottom of the humi it reads 70% ish. When it is on the tray away from the humidifier is is 72%. Last night I placed it on the tray apparently directly below the humidifier (when the lid is closed) It read 82% this am. So...the question; Should I be concerned about placing cigars on the tray beneath the humidifier???
    My thought - this is one of the reasons it is suggested that cigars be rotated from time to time in a humidor. Particularly when using a humidification method other than beads (which is far & away the most stable method, hence Mr Pillow's suggestion above), the closer to the humidification device, the (slightly) higher the humidity will be, when lower in the humidor, the (slightly) lower the RH, etc.

At your first opportunity, I suggest you invest in 1) some beads, 2) an electronic humidification device (Cigar Oasis, Hygra, etc) if you have some extra cash to spend, or 3) some in-the-jar humidification gels, in that order, to "even out" the humidity levels in your humidor. Until then, I think if you rotate your 'gars once a week or so you should be OK.

Yoda, or one of the senior BOTL's, would you like to weigh in here?

• Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    Thanks for the replies.

Wouldn't one have similar issues with cigars placed in close proximity to the beads? Sounds like I need to rotate them in both instances. Perhaps the beads don't allow such extreme variation in humidity depending on location in the humidor..

I am new to cigars, but I am looking for a solution to not have to check humidity daily or worry about the cigars when I cant tend to them regularly when out of town on business
    Husker44:
    Thanks for the replies. Wouldn't one have similar issues with cigars placed in close proximity to the beads? Sounds like I need to rotate them in both instances. Perhaps the beads don't allow such extreme variation in humidity depending on location in the humidor.. I am new to cigars, but I am looking for a solution to not have to check humidity daily or worry about the cigars when I cant tend to them regularly when out of town on business
    Any of the three methods I mentioned above is going to provide a longer-lasting and more stable RH than the humidifier that came with the humidor. Unless you're going to be out of town for months, they will all work fine. Even if you ARE out of town for months, the beads & electronic humidifier should be OK. Good luck!

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Just an addendum - electronic humidifiers typically run about $100, but really aren't' necessary until you get a humidor with a capacity above 300. Even then it's optional (enough beads and you can humidify any space), but around 300, you save space by only having a single humidifier, instead of a couple pounds of beads.

And even if you do get an electronic humidifier, it's still a good idea to have some beads, since the electronic ones only put out humidity - they can't absorb it
    xmacro:
    Just an addendum - electronic humidifiers typically run about $100, but really aren't' necessary until you get a humidor with a capacity above 300. Even then it's optional (enough beads and you can humidify any space), but around 300, you save space by only having a single humidifier, instead of a couple pounds of beads.

And even if you do get an electronic humidifier, it's still a good idea to have some beads, since the electronic ones only put out humidity - they can't absorb it
    And THIS is why this is such a great forum! Thanks for the pick-up xmacro, you give good counsel. Somehow escaped me that we were talking about a sub-300 ct humidor.