Home Non Cigar Related

Childhood and Modern Day Heroes/Role Models

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Simple enough. What was your favorite childhood hero (can include superheroes or from classical literature) and who is your hero or role model today (you can even include a story or reason as to why if you wish)?

My favorite superhero growing up was Iron Man.

My favorite hero from literature was Diomedes

My role model today is my dad.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Favorite superhero from childhood: Wolverine
    From hero from literature: Atlas and Icarus
    My role model my father.

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    I'm my own hero and role model.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    My childhood hero was my grandpa. In fact he still is today. I hope to be half the man he is. kinda funny to think when i was little i wanted to wear cowboy boots and dress like him. Now as a dad i hope my kids look up to me as i do him. Heroes come and go but legends live forever.
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Jim Thorpe
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    favorite superhero growing up - Mean Joe Greene.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    mrpillow:
    I'm my own hero and role model.
    AND he comes with his own soundtrack!
    Nolan Ryan - no drama, no bragging, no stupid crap like so many athletes today. Go out, do your job, work harder than everybody else and be the best at what you do. Taught me at a young age that hard work + desire + doing things the right way = success.

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    My Father is my hero, Yeshua of Nazareth is my role model.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Pele of Brazilian soccer fame.

we even share the same birthday.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143
    I don't think I had a hero growing up. If I did, I can't remember who. As I was starting to come into my own as a journalist, my hero became Dan Rather--I had saved a promo he did for a station I was working for where he mentioned my name!! I treasured that thing until I left the business and he got in trouble for supposedly making up negative stories about GWB. These days, it's a combination of my dad and myself as I try to set an example for my own son.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    My childhood heroes were Brett Favre and my Dad
    My role models today are: Dr. Richard Carlson, The Beatles, the Dalai Lama, and my Dad
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Childhood heroes - Dad . . . maybe Goku from Dragonball Z
    Lit - King Arthur (loved the old excalibur legends)
    illinoisgolf99:
    My childhood heroes were Brett Favre and my Dad
    My role models today are: Dr. Richard Carlson, The Beatles, the Dalai Lama, and my Dad
    Thank GOD for your Dad Jarrett - if Brett Favre was your only hero as a child, you probably would have ended up licking dirt from sidewalks for a living!

GO BEARS!!!! LOL

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Larry Flint has always been an inspiration.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    My favorite superhero growing up was He-Man. Skeletor creeped me out! Worked with a lady who looked like Skeletor at my last job!

My favorite hero from literature was Roberto Clemente. My favorite book grwing up was about his life. A great man and ball player

My role model today is ever changing!
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Nolan Ryan - no drama, no bragging, no stupid crap like so many athletes today. Go out, do your job, work harder than everybody else and be the best at what you do. Taught me at a young age that hard work + desire + doing things the right way = success.

I still have my Nolan Ryan Rookie cards in a nice plastic sleeve in very good condition.

Growing up, Batman. He was just a man with no special powers, wasn't an alien, nothing. Just a man who had his family taken away from him at a young age with a will to protect and serve justice when and where it was needed. And he fought badass bad guys and hot bad girls.

Since I still can't be Batman... hmmm...