Home Ratings & Reviews

Kent1146: Review of Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Signature

I've re-adopted this hobby after an 8-year hiatus.  And it's quickly becoming an addiction.  I'm going to start posting my review and tasting notes of the cigars that I smoke, now that I've made a "real" purchase of cigars ($170 over 26 sticks) that cover a range of flavors.  Here is my Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Signature (yummy!) review:

Cigar Name:  Arturo Fuente Hemmingway

Cigar Size:  Signature – 6x47

Wrapper:  Dominican Cameroon

Accompanying Drink:  Double of Johnny Walker Black Label, with just 1 ice cube

Pre-Light:  This cigar has a veiny, slightly oily wrapper with the color of 55% milk chocolate.  Nice, even, firm feel to the cigar through the entire length, with no detectable changes in consistency that would indicate a problem with burn consistency.  Well-rounded end-cap was cut with a  double-guillotine cutter.  Slightly pungent smell, with armoa of cedar.  Pre-light flavor of a sweet, rich dark chocolate.  Lit the “nipple” of this figurado with a butane torch lighter.

First 1/3rd: Initial draw was tight, due to the “nipple” shape of the tip.  Once the tip was burned, draw and flavors opened up dramatically.  Rich, complex flavors of chocolate, cedar, with a hint of cinnamon and pepper.  Burn was perfect, with no re-lighting or “touch-ups” required.  Non-inhaled smoke had prominent blue color to it, indicative of the nitrogen-rich soil used to grow the Dominican Arturo Fuente tobacco.  Ash was completely intact, and was released at approximately 2” with a slight tap.

Second 1/3rd:  By this point, the cigar flavors had already developed, and remained outstanding.  Rich, smooth, and creamy taste with complex flavors of chocolate, cedar, pepper, and spice.  Inhaled smoke remained a medium body, with exhaled smoke retaining its rich white cloud.  Consistent burn throughout, with solid ash that was released at 1.5” with a slight tap.

Last 1/3rd:  This cigar was obviously constructed to develop its flavors into much deeper levels, as the mouthpiece accumulates smoke and tar as a natural part of smoking cigars.  The flavors of chocolate and cedar continued to develop through this phase… it would be more appropriate to call these flavors as being “deepened” or “darkened” without ever becoming bitter or harsh.  Had after-taste of cedar.  Burn remained consistently perfect, ash formation remained perfect.  Cigar began to become harsh and bitter when reaching the last 1”.  I let this cigar die a noble death, by letting it burn itself out in my ashtray.

Overall impressions:  This cigar is by far my favorite cigar.  Incredible flavor that develops gradually over time, comes to a climax, then drops sharply near the end of the cigar.  Excellent construction and burn, and definitely brought fond memories back when I used to smoke these as a 17-year old high school student sneaking glasses of my dad’s Crown Royal.  Price was too high to smoke every day, but reasonable enough to smoke once per week or on special occasions.  Rated 9.5/10, and a strong recommendation to buy.  When I run out of these, I will be purchasing a box to age over time.

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kent1146:
    Non-inhaled smoke had prominent blue color to it, indicative of the nitrogen-rich soil used to grow the Dominican Arturo Fuente tobacco.
    Really? I had no idea.

The Hemingway is also my favorite, Kent, though I prefer the Classic size. The Don Carlos has been giving it a run for its money lately, though.

Nice review, Kent. And welcome.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you arent really taking it into your lungs are you? i hope not. that could end bad.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Just got a DAMN good price on a box of these the other night... ;) Does this make Maddy my new best friend?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    you arent really taking it into your lungs are you? i hope not. that could end bad.
    Maybe he meant the smoke that comes off the end when you take a puff...I certainly hope so, I've come across exactly one cigar I could inhale without it making me cough and choke.
    rusirius:
    Just got a DAMN good price on a box of these the other night... ;) Does this make Maddy my new best friend?
    I dunno about maddy, but I might propose.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    urbino:
    rusirius:
    I dunno about maddy, but I might propose.
    That's right urbs! You're the Hemmingway fan... I was thinking it was maddy for some reason... ;)
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Hmmm must be running on the same track I had a Hemmingway this weekend and found it to be a damn fine cigar...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Nice review by the way!

I've have two Hemmingway's resting for about three months now and I can't wait to try them out! But really anything from Fuente is a gold mine in my book!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I agree brother!
    In general, I agree, but I didn't love the Chateau Fuente I had last week. It was okay, but not noticeably better than many other brands' comparable lines.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Even Fuente can't please all the people all the time... but at least they do a good job of pleasing most of the people most of the time.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I recently tried my first Hemmingway and WOW!!! Urbi I see now why you like these so much!!! WOW AGAIN! I was at a VERY nice cigar lounge here in Dallas and was just totally blown away. The burn was perfect and the draw was the same thoughout the smoke (past the "nipple" upon lighting it). I will be purchasing more of these as soon as I have the spare cash!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I got a bundle of 20 of the Chateau with the natural wrapper and I didn't like them. I love Fuentes but I very mush dislike the natural wrapper. The EMS and Maduro are soooooo much better in my opinion. TO be honest, there are few cigars that have a natural wrapper that I do like. Those really light colored wrappers and I do not agree.
    Yeah, they definitely did something right with that one, Puro.

There are many natural-wrapper cigars I like, including the Chateau. It's not that I didn't like it. I was just saying it didn't strike me as a cut above other makers' similar lines. (We sometimes talk about AF as if everything they touch is better than everybody else's stuff. As a big fan of the Hemingway and now the Don Carlos, I get caught up in that sometimes. I was just offering a corrective.)