Home General Discussion
Options

40th Anniversary Cohibas

I am no new to cigar smoking, but I do have a question on cigars I was given recently.

I was given a box of 40th anniversary Cohibas as a gift. I was told that they came from Cuba from a relative of the person that gave them to me, but I question their authenticity.

The box seems authentict, but the cigars are barpole in style. I have never heard of a bar pole style for Cohibas. Anyone have any info on this. 

Comments

• Options
    ChevyChevy Posts: 61
    Well... I myself came across a few of these sticks a couple of years back. First of all, they are 100% NOT Cohiba. Let me explain. Cohiba has never made a bar-pole cigar, but that is not to say that they are not cuban. Cuba's #1 export are "fake" cuban cigars. Sure the tobacco is from cuba but the cigar bands and boxes might be fake. One reason Cuban fakes are so hard to tell apart from real cubans is a lot of the time everything on a cigar might be real. For example, employes might steal real labels and boxes right from the factory, then apply them to "other" cigars. So the cigars you have might well be cuban, but they are definitely not high end Cohibas. Sorry for the bad news but hope this helps
  • Options
    what i do when i'm around so called "cuban cigars" is smell them. a good cuban, to me, smells a little bit like tea leaves, especially cuban cohiba's. if its fake it'll smell generic sort of like an old semi ok smelling trash can. its a weird thing but its probably just experience that helps me. and in the end, if you prefer a 5 vegas gold over a genuine cuban cohiba or bolivar, than smoke the 5 vegas and keep the cohiba or bolivar as a trading token.
  • Options
    egranaegrana Posts: 2
    I appreciate the information. It is interesting to find out that almost everything but the cigars maybe genuine. I did smoke a couple, they were alright, but nothing exceptional. I may just pass them around as novelties and see what my friends think of them.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Chevy:
    they are 100% NOT Cohiba. ....Cohiba has never made a bar-pole cigar
    true. you beat me to the punch on this one.