Home Cigar 101

Humidor plan!

interpiminterpim Posts: 146
Hi guys... one of my hobbies is woodworking, and I have plans to build a humidor for myself once I get my house settled in Virginia.  I worked on the design today, and here is what I have...

It's 18" Wide 18" Deep and 24" Tall.
The trays inside are about 16" x 15" and are just about 2" deep.  There is quite a bit of room underneath for boxes and humidification stuff... and of course I could always leave a drawer or two out to make more room for boxes when I start to get more into my collection. 

How many cigars do you think this will hold?

Comments

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Sweeeeeet design dude! PM to you (in a min)
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Bro, you need to hook up with the cabinet maker. From what I've heard he can do wonders in the wood industries. Just a thought. But love the design....taking orders? haha
    Here is a discussion that was going on a few months back about figuring humidor capacity. Your results may differ due to the tray format, but according to a formula contained therein (LxHxD/9) the estimated capacity would be somewhere around: 864.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    I am quite confident I can accomplish the build on this humidor myself :)  I've been woodworking as a hobby for about the past 15 years, and overall about 25 years. 

It's the getting it humidified properly that I'll be slow to catch up on LOL... I've never owned anything larger than a 10 cigar Herfador
    with the just the trays I am getting 267 cigars using the LxWxD / 9 formula.

The bottom area comes up to around 342 cigars.

So I think I can safely get 600 cigars in there :)

With the formula the factories use, I should get many more LOL, but I divided by 9 instead of 7.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thats about the design that i would love to some day have. we discussed it in THIS thread.

there is other good info in that thread so you may wanna look at that just for ideas/fun.
    thanks for the link Kuzi, and Hays I replied to your PM... if you need any help let me know.
    I shot ya an email to the address you gave me...

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Looking at this reminds me of something...I need a new humidor too! lol. Think Cabinetmaker can gimme an estimate on a 150 to 200 count humidor with a divider or two and a small lock and key? Last one I got was horrendously damaged (and not from shipping, either. Looked like bad handiwork, even though advertisement looked beautiful and flawless).
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Unrelated, but are you moving to Virginia? Where abouts?
    I am moving to a place called Dahlgren, VA.  It's about 30 minutes east of Fredricksburg.  I will get in the area around the end of July.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    OP, did you draw it on Sketch? What are you using for gluing and nailing the joints? The design looks great!
    I used sketchup for the render... I plan to use Titebond 3 for gluing the joints.  I plan to use locking rabbits on the front and back, and splined miters on the tops and sides.  Essentially creating a sealed box and slicing off the front door.  when I line it with cedar I am going to pull the planks out about 5/16" to create the seal for humidity.  The Titebond 3 is waterproof, so will stand up against the environment of the humidor.
    I didn't draw the hinges into the render, but I plan on adding mortised hinges to keep the seal nice and snug.

I played around w/ sketchup a bit and came up with a animation of the humidor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfwsZ0mFRNA

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I would love to learn how to do wood working. It just seems very therapeutic. Very nice design by the way, are you going to use glass in the front door?

"Long ashes my friends."

I hadn't considered glass, one reason is a single pain of glass will allow to much transfer of heat and humidity... I could do a double pane, but that would be twice the PITA, and I prefer the look of wood. 
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    interpim:
    I hadn't considered glass, one reason is a single pain of glass will allow to much transfer of heat and humidity...
    if the glass is sealed at the edges with some sort of polymer sealant then you should be fine. heat isnt an issue unless the place you are planning on having this humidor is in the sun or if your house swings 20+ degrees a day.
    Usually when I mix glass into a woodworking project the seal isn't necessary, so I would possibly consider it.  Wood will expand and contract through the natural cycle, and I think moreso with the added humidity that I will be adding to it.  When I have used glass in the past, I have created kind of a buffer zone around it, to prevent the wood from expanding and shattering the glass.  I think the manufacturers that sell glass top humidors can get around this because they are using engineered wood that is less susceptible to this expansion and contraction, and then covering it with a veneer.  My plans are to use solid wood... first, I don't have any experience with veneer, and second I'm not sure I would trust the veneer glues available to me to withstand the high humidity.
    Krieg:
    I would love to learn how to do wood working. It just seems very therapeutic. Very nice design by the way, are you going to use glass in the front door?
    I took couple of woodworking classes and its addicting and relaxing, look at your local wood store for bussines cards of instructors. It was pretty cheap and very informative and fun. Sorry,didnt mean to hijack the thread!
    bigbgballz:
    Sorry,didnt mean to hijack the thread!

You didn't hijack it at all :P  Being very enthusiastic about my hobbies I enjoy sharing information about it, and others as well.

I belong to a woodworking forum that is very informative, especially for beginners, or folks wanting to just build one thing and be done.  If anyone is interested it's http://lumberjocks.com
    my personal project page there is http://lumberjocks.com/interpim/projects

interpim:
    I used sketchup for the render... I plan to use Titebond 3 for gluing the joints.  I plan to use locking rabbits on the front and back, and splined miters on the tops and sides.  Essentially creating a sealed box and slicing off the front door.  when I line it with cedar I am going to pull the planks out about 5/16" to create the seal for humidity.  The Titebond 3 is waterproof, so will stand up against the environment of the humidor.
    I didn't draw the hinges into the render, but I plan on adding mortised hinges to keep the seal nice and snug.

I played around w/ sketchup a bit and came up with a animation of the humidor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfwsZ0mFRNA

Very nice, so no nailing after gluing, I am curious cause i read that nails could be bad in humidor building due to moisture but isnt it the spanish cedar keeping moisture away from the exterior frame where nails are used? Cant wait to see some progress pics when you start. Thanks!
    bigbgballz:
    Very nice, so nailing after gluing, I am curious cause i read that nails could be bad in humidor building due to moisture but isnt it the spanish cedar keeping moisture away from the exterior frame where nails are used? Cant wait to see some progress pics wh

No, the only metal I plan on using in this will be brass or stainless screws to attach the hinges and the latching mechanism.

Thanks, something happen here as evertyime i tried to edit my text or delete the post it reposted it, moderator can probably clean up the mess!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Looks great, what will the exterior wood be?
    I'm not sure yet what the exterior will be... I usually will walk through a lumberyard till I find something that jumps out at me. My favorites are Walnut and highly figured Maple, so most likely something like that.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    ill tell ya what that does look sexy. i would definetly love to have that set up. again i would have put a glass front on it just to have my sticks staring at me all day lol. but to each is his own. it looks good though honestly . great work sir.
    thanks for the compliments, with my limited storage capability limiting me to basically 9-10 sticks max. I will most likely put together a small coolidor when I get moved to give me a chance to get this thing put together, and still be able to take advantage of the sweet deals I have been seeing here on Ccom.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    You should allow for power to the inside incase you want to install an electronic humkidifier. You should also have an external Hygrometer/Thermometer so you don't have to to open it to check RH% and Temp. My $.03
    Per your animation, I would also add a door of some sort over the bottom open cabinet space - that's a wide open space to be dumping humidity every time you open the main door...

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Very nice plans man. GL on the build! Can't wait to see pics of the build and the completed project!
    KCW:
    You should allow for power to the inside incase you want to install an electronic humkidifier. You should also have an external Hygrometer/Thermometer so you don't have to to open it to check RH% and Temp. My $.03
    I was actually thinking of adding a external hygrometer/thermo... what do you guys think of this?
    remote hygrometer