Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Have an exhaust leak need help

I just found that I have an exhaust leak in my truck right at the **** on the back of the catalytic converter. The **** looks to rusty to try to take off the bolts and replace the gasket. I only need to get this truck through the next few months before we are getting rid of it. I know that they make a muffler patch but the heat is alot lower at the muffler than the cat. Any ideas on a patch or make shift fix to get by for the next few months? Dont need pretty just functional.

Thanks
Dustin

Comments

• Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Dustin1981:
    I just found that I have an exhaust leak in my truck right at the **** on the back of the catalytic converter. The **** looks to rusty to try to take off the bolts and replace the gasket. I only need to get this truck through the next few months before we are getting rid of it. I know that they make a muffler patch but the heat is alot lower at the muffler than the cat. Any ideas on a patch or make shift fix to get by for the next few months? Dont need pretty just functional.

Thanks
    Dustin
    take it to a muffler shop, have them replace the gasket and just weld it completely shut. or, just have them weld it completely shut without replacing the gasket. Not a big deal it sounds like.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Permatex makes a gasket maker that goes to 700 degrees. It's their Ultra Copper Gasket Maker. It should do the trick. Just use a wire brush to knock the rust off from around it so that it makes a good adhesion.

Found the actual description for it. The Ultra Series - Permatex® Ultra Copper® Gasket Maker The Ultra Series - Permatex® Ultra Copper® Gasket Maker Premium silicone that can withstand operating environments to 700°F (371°C) intermittent. Fills gaps to .25" when fully cured. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones - eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Suggested applications: Pumps, compressors, exhaust manifolds/headers, valve covers, oil pans, thermostat housings, gear boxes.
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Go to a shop and have it welded and be done with it, pic if possible will also help!
  • Options
    Mighty Putty!
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    so just run straight headers for the next couple months!
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I am trying to get in touch with a friend of mine who has a welder that I can use. Any tips on how to do it? I have done some small stuff with a small mig but nothing like this. Should I just clean up the **** as much as possible and weld it shut?