Home Cigar 101

The Importance of a Clean Palate

illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
I was just watching the ccom interactive video for this week and Alex and Tim mentioned the importance of having a clean palate when smoking cigars. They reccomended Club Soda to keep it as clean as possible when smoking, anyone else use CS for this?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i personally dont use club soda, but i may have to start now. I drink milk then a bit of water. this gets my mouth to a more neutral PH before i start to smoke. also i try and stay hydrated all the time. when your mouth is dry from being dehydrated your taste buds are always off. keeping hydrated helps a ton.

... next time im at the store ill pick some CS up and give it a whirl
    ...if i remember.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Sweet! Another excuse to drink more CS.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Wow, 600 posts, where does the time go.
    Goldy:
    i should hit 7k some time in the next few days....

i need a 12 step program.

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Never thought club soda would be that good for smoking cigars. I usually just drink chocolate milk with maduros or water for everything else.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Club soda huh. Would have to do my hardest not to have any other type of liquor to be mixed with it. Well its worth a shot. Ill have to try it next time or later this evening.
    wwhwang:
    Wow. Never thought club soda would be that good for smoking cigars.
    i never thought of it either, till now that is.

but it makes sense now that i think of it. the bubbles in club soda will probably help remove impurities in the mouth. they help when cleaning other things.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Water is the only thing I will drink unless I'm specifically trying to pair a cigar with a certain drink.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:

LOL, if there is help for Kuzi...then thier might be help for us all...

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I usually drink a coke with a cigar, but I am now gonna have to give CS a try.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I at times drink a dr pepper with a cigar. I'm gonna try the cs soon.
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:

Good thing you're in Akron LOL
    surfingzeeko:
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:

Good thing you're in Akron LOL
    well played.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    ill drink diet pepsi or water other than that thats all. i may have to try the cs though.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I no its common in wine taseting to cleanse your palate by useing white bread (including crackers) or cheese also by drinking plenty of water you can also use lite sorbet. pallet cleansing is more about cleansing befor trying something different so you dont confuse the flavors with the other taste and flavors in your mouth and to wake up your taste buds
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    club soda, never thought of it. milk then water is a good idea too. I know crackers and or pieces of chocolate are a good.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    just had a Gurkha Legend with some club soda and I gotta say it really does make a difference, I could taste the flavors much better and kept your palate refreshed.
  • Although its not a neutral flavored drink....I like Ginger Ale...I think the flavor is not too overbearing, yet it still has the qualities to cleanse the palate
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I usually drink some sort of cola or coffee and it seems to work for me. Not a club soda fan at all.
    ThinBluLine06:
    Although its not a neutral flavored drink....I like Ginger Ale...I think the flavor is not too overbearing, yet it still has the qualities to cleanse the palate
    fla-gypsy:
    I usually drink some sort of cola or coffee and it seems to work for me. Not a club soda fan at all.
    colas and sodas work well because of the acid in them. cigars produce a smoke that is alkaline in nature. the contrast makes both flavors stand out more.

smae concept as pizza with pineapple on it. the spice and the sweet contrast is what makes it good.

these flavors are just a bit more related to each other.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    I think as adults you know what you like best with a cigar. These gentleman enjoy a cllub soda. Ice Water is also reccomended. I like to drink beers with my cigars and I've heard "ugghhh... ruins a cigar..." a thousand times... but I'm a grown up and I get to decide what ruins what for me :-)
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Big T smokes:
    I think as adults you know what you like best with a cigar. These gentleman enjoy a cllub soda. Ice Water is also reccomended. I like to drink beers with my cigars and I've heard "ugghhh... ruins a cigar..." a thousand times... but I'm a grown up and I get to decide what ruins what for me :-)
    Beer doesn't always ruin a cigar. Like any drink/cigar pairing, it's good to try and have a good contrast. Beers can go quite well with a smoke. The same goes for scotch, rum, whiskey, etc. However, this, like most cigar discussion regarding taste, boils down to personal preference. What works for some doesn't work for others.
    Big T smokes:
    we did kinda get off track here.

the thread started out with what actually cleanses the palate so that there is no flavor in the mouth, not so much about pairings. they are drinking club soda to cleanse the palate.

we actually have a thread or 50 about good pairings.

i agree with the beer thing, though there are times and beers that change the flavor of a cigar for me, its not always in a bad way. as long as you are enjoying it, who am i to say anything?
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

I am going to keep going off track here.

I typically like beer and cigars, but IMO they need to be paired well.

I had one the other night that just didnt go well with the cigar at all.
    the cigar turned out not t be my cup o tea, but the pairing was way off also!!

• wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    I'm a cigarette smoker as well as a cigar smoker, anyone know if club soda will help clear out the cigarette taste? Usually I just wait like an hour after a cigarette to smoke a cigar.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    wwestern:
    I'm a cigarette smoker as well as a cigar smoker, anyone know if club soda will help clear out the cigarette taste? Usually I just wait like an hour after a cigarette to smoke a cigar.
    Club Soda is supposed to help cleanse and refresh your pallete, I just started drinking it while smoking and it seems to help, welcome by the way, stick around!
    wwestern:
    when i quit smoking cigarettes i noticed that i could taste things at a higher level than i could while a smoker.
    do you think that this has any impact on your cigar smoking?
    if you quit cigarettes would you enjoy cigars more?
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    Yap,cigarettes change the flavour of everything,but i still smoke them,when i have quited for a awhile before i can see my taste buds gi back to normal,everything taste so much better!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Does anyone have any feedback after trying out the club soda?
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    wwestern:
    when i quit smoking cigarettes i noticed that i could taste things at a higher level than i could while a smoker.
    do you think that this has any impact on your cigar smoking?
    if you quit cigarettes would you enjoy cigars more?

Without a doubt... cigarette smoking alters everything you taste lol. I'm just trying to figure out how to mitigate how much it alters the taste of cigars. As far as quitting I'd like to but 12 year habbits are hard to break. Thanks for the welcomes!