Home Cigar 101

Herf-a-dor goodness! (tip inside)

TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
So I'm on vacation this week and wanted to bring my herf-a-dor with me. I despise taking my delicious, well-rested sticks with me in an uncontrolled environment, and frankly the little hockey puck thing in there is terrible. But I remembered a great tip from another member here a while back and replicated it and it works great!

Take an empty tubo (one of the metal ones) and puncure little holes all over it. (I used a sharp turning fork)
Fill the tubo with charged beads at least halfway, or as much as 3/4s of the way full.
Throw in a digital hygrometer if you are like me and are completely paranoid
Voila! The beads do their thing, and I don't need to worry!

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That certainly works. I don't like that the tubo takes up the space of one cigar, I like to cram my herf-a-dor full, so I use a half discharged water pillow, it doesn't hold as high as a fully charged one and can be stuffed along the side.
  • AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
    This is a great idea. I've never used the beads. I instead use the cigar.com gel jar for my humidor at the office and the cigar.com cigar juice for my humidor at home (which my wife just bought me for father's day, BTW). She also got me my first herfador, so now I'll be buying some beads so I can safely travel!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    So I'm on vacation this week and wanted to bring my herf-a-dor with me. I despise taking my delicious, well-rested sticks with me in an uncontrolled environment, and frankly the little hockey puck thing in there is terrible. But I remembered a great tip from another member here a while back and replicated it and it works great!

Take an empty tubo (one of the metal ones) and puncure little holes all over it. (I used a sharp turning fork)
    Fill the tubo with charged beads at least halfway, or as much as 3/4s of the way full.
    Throw in a digital hygrometer if you are like me and are completely paranoid
    Voila! The beads do their thing, and I don't need to worry!
    you got that from me when i had mine at the herf down here in akron.

works great doesnt it?

i cant remember who i got that idea from but it sure was a good one.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    It was you, Kuzi! You're right. Great tip. Been holding steady at 69-70% the whole time I've been gone.

It does take up some space, Joe. I am only here for 5 days, so I knew I had the room.
    TatuajeVI:
    It was you, Kuzi! You're right. Great tip. Been holding steady at 69-70% the whole time I've been gone.

It does take up some space, Joe. I am only here for 5 days, so I knew I had the room.
    5 days, holy crap, I'd need 2 herf-a-dors. :). It all works, I'm not gonna try and tell you my way is better or anything, heck as long as you're doing something to keep the cigars fresh you'll get no complaints from me. I use the tubo method in my more permanent fixtures, it works great in a cigar jar humidor.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that if your cigars are well maintained that the sealed herf-a-dor maintains RH just fine without any help. If you are going to go a long time I think you need something but for my 1 to 2 day trips out of town nothing is necessary. I don't use the puck or anything in mine. I would take this suggestion though if it was going to be a week or more.
    j0z3r:
    TatuajeVI:

5 days, holy crap, I'd need 2 herf-a-dors. :). It all works, I'm not gonna try and tell you my way is better or anything, heck as long as you're doing something to keep the cigars fresh you'll get no complaints from me. I use the tubo method in my more permanent fixtures, it works great in a cigar jar humidor.
    heh, I wish I had time to smoke 15 cigars in 5 days up here. It sure is beautiful on Lake Michigan. I've only had 2 cigars in 4 days - terrible!
    You're just not trying hard enough Phil, now down (in a chair) and give me 20 (puffs).
    rofl. That sounds like a great punishment!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    You're just not trying hard enough Phil, now down (in a chair) and give me 20 (puffs).
    wow, he's generous, your lucky if I'd give ya knee pads!
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    lol i wish that is what people would tell me if i messed up. that would be the life.