Home Cigar 101

Hygrometers?

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
I could use a bit of help in this area. I got two digital hygrometers and I'm using the salt test. I've put them in a ziplock bag along with a bottle cap with some salt and water (it looks like a gel or paste right now) with some air and zipped it up. It's been over 12 hours now and they still say 66 to 68%. Are they usually 7 to 9 off or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one from WalMart that is 18 off and all of my others are off slightly. So I think yes it could be off that much. I don't like it but at least you have the knowledge of how much it is off. My next ones will be adjustable.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    mine is 4 off.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I don't think 12 hours is enough time to tell reliably. I leave mine in for at least 24 hours, longer even if you can.

My hygrometers will keep track of high and low RH from the last time I checked them, so I also have to make sure to re-set them when taking the current reading. If your Hygrometer has this feature, you need to make sure that you re-set the RH so the hygrometer is reading the present RH and not the high / low RH since the last time it was re-set.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    My digital is 7 off, my analogs are exactly perfect. I've tested each 3 times at different intervals and they are consistent but the digital isn't able to be adjusted. I hate having to do math every time I look at the stupid thing, it's like setting your watch ahead so you're not late.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Every time i calibrated my Xikars...they were about 6-7 off....initally. I recalibrate about avey 6 months or everytime i change the batteries.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Every time i calibrated my Xikars...they were about 6-7 off....initally. I recalibrate about avey 6 months or everytime i change the batteries.
    every hygrometer i get from now on will be a xikar. I love how you can calibrate them. makes a world of difference.