Home Ratings & Reviews

(Drew Estates) Natural Dirt Torpedo

Forward:
Lilwing had a little contest to have people suggest what cigar he should have that night, and the reward for said contest was a couple Natural Dirt Torpedos. He mentioned that he wanted to send these out becasue he wanted a review from someone else on them. I have no idea what he thinks of these - so let's see if my thoughts on it coincides with his! Please remember this is coming from a guy who started smoking BECAUSE of Drew Estates cigars. I think if my B&M didn't have Ambrosia cigars the first time I went in, then I probably wouldn't be smoking now. So I'm a bit biased in favor of Drew Estates (Although I can still recognize the tobacco they use is garbage)

Review:
This thing is definitely smaller than a typical Torpedo, I would guess it's somewhere around 5x52 or so... Which for me isn't entirely a bad thing. I tend to like the smaller, quicker smokes.
The Dirt sure didn't smell like much. Didn't smell like a cigar, didn't smell like an Acid, smelled just kind of neutral like a soft cardboard smell, i guess? Prelight draw was nice, good easy draw without being really loose, and the taste on my lips was pretty suprising considering the smell, was sweet like I would expect from a Drew Estates, but wouldn't expect from the smell of this cigar.

The stick changed quite a bit throughout, and is probably the most volatile stick I've ever had when it comes to taste changing based on how hot it's burning. The first 1/3 was actually quite smooth and nice. I was suprised! Very pleasant cigar for the first 10 mins or so... but it slowly went downhill. Generally I notice a cigar gets a bit biting, and harsh when it bruns hot - this thing did do the same just slightly, but also the taste changed completely when I let it burn hot. It was a very very strong coffee taste when I would take a few rapid large draws to heat it up. The only way I can describe it is... well... instead of tasting like tobacco... it kind of tasted like I was smoking burned coffee grounds. I figure that is Drew Estates way of making a strong infused taste for a maduro? It... was actually kind of neat, but the attraction faded quickly. The second 1/3 was just a little bleh compared to the first 1/3. About the same stuff but the novelty had worn. The last 1/3... I was over it. Every draw the sweet taste on my lips was overpowered by the burnt coffee taste that made my face scrunch up like I was smelling something fowl. I got about halfway through the last 1/3 and set it down, because it was gradually just getting stronger and stronger. The 4 inches or so I smoked, only took me maybe 40 minutes.

Conclusion:
All in all... I'd smoke it again. It wasn't so bad that I wouldn't recommend it to people. It was sweet and compared to other Drew Estates the poor tobacco flavor was hardly noticable. I would have to give the advice though, burn it hot and fast during the first half, and slow and cool the second half. That's what I plan to do with my next one, and will probably make it a more consistant and pleasant smoke.

So, Lilwing, What'd you think of it?

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Great review... And I have to be honest I like this cigar.
    I always get a really smooth coca off them.
    Not an everyday smoke but a great way to mix it up.

• brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    stephen_hannibal:
    Great review... And I have to be honest I like this cigar.
    I always get a really smooth coca off them.
    Not an everyday smoke but a great way to mix it up.

Had my first one the past Friday night and agree with Stephen, great way to mix it up.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I like them, I get the cocoa and coffee flavors. Not an everyday smoke, but a good change up.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    GadwinDuil:
    (Although I can still recognize the tobacco they use is garbage)
    Not a shred of garbage in the LP9 or t52s.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    docbp87:
    GadwinDuil:
    (Although I can still recognize the tobacco they use is garbage)
    Not a shred of garbage in the LP9 or t52s.
    I've heard about that. Haven't tried them myself. But of the Drew Estates I have had (All infused ones, 1400cc - Kuba Kuba - Opulence 3 - Tabak especial - etc) you really can distinctly tell that the tobacco is low quality. That is, at least for all the Drew Estates i have actually tried. My top 3 DE would probably be Tabak Especial Cafe con Leche, Natural Dirt and Ambrosia Kaya. Mostly because in my experience the tobacco tastes the best in them :-P
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Something about DE infused cigars that just makes me not want to smoke any of their cigars, like they might be cross contaminated with infusion wiff or something. It's not rational, I know, but this review certainly doesn't help my phobia any.
    bigharpoon:
    Something about DE infused cigars that just makes me not want to smoke any of their cigars, like they might be cross contaminated with infusion wiff or something. It's not rational, I know, but this review certainly doesn't help my phobia any.
    Like cigars in general, I truly believe that DE are an acquired taste. I mean... the first DD I ever ordered was 5 Vegas Gold Torp... And I couldn't stand smoking them the first time I had it! But I wasn't used to cigars, and the cigars I was used to were DE cigars. Granted I don't have the love for DE that I did when I started smoking, but I still will never refuse to try a cigar because it's infused or made by DE.

If you don't want to try em though, that's all you, buddy :-P
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've tried 'em before. Like you said, you gotta at least try them, right?
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Odd. I've always found that despite the arguably awful taste, the tobacco DE uses is always rather top-notch.
    mrpillow:
    Odd. I've always found that despite the arguably awful taste, the tobacco DE uses is always rather top-notch.
    I read somewhere that DE is notorious for using the cheapest throw-out tobacco because they just use it for infusion anywhere. I'll try to find some sources on it sometime. I remember the Kristoff rep coming to my town's cigar club and mentioning it once too
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    GadwinDuil:
    mrpillow:
    I read somewhere that DE is notorious for using the cheapest throw-out tobacco because they just use it for infusion anywhere. I'll try to find some sources on it sometime. I remember the Kristoff rep coming to my town's cigar club and mentioning it once too
    That's strange, because Jonathan is always talking about where their Tobacco comes from, and all of the rare exotic stuff that goes into their blends. Granted, if you're just going to soak it in perfume, then I personally don't see why the quality of the tobacco matters as much... but the LP9 and T52 are definitely quality product.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Great review, buddy..... Thanks for being a good sport.

I pretty much agree with your assessment, however, I enjoyed it a bit more than you. I think the flavor notes you described were very close to what I got, except for the burnt coffee flavors. I got more of a mocha/espresso taste. But that could be due to a burn issue.

I definitely think that as far as infused cigars go, it's more enjoyable than most other ACIDS.

Thanks again for the great review and enjoy the other smokes I sent ya!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I don't think it's infused hence the "Natural" line.

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    I don't think it's infused hence the "Natural" line.

Well, that's surprising..... It sure tastes infused. Still a good smoke.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..