Home Cigar 101

Did I just screw up epically?

GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
So I'm using 50/50 for my humidifier. The exact second I put the solution into my humidifier I dump it as fast as i can cause I used tap water in the mix! So I immediately pour distilled over it trying to flush out any of the bad mixture. I remade a 50/50 with distilled and put it in my humidifier. So is my puck screwed or will I be okay. Also, I'm very aware beads are better haha.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The biggest problem with tap water is the minerals, over time they can build up rendering the humidifier useless. You didn't ruin anything by doing it once though, so you should be fine if you make sure to just use distilled from now on.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    IMO you should be fine. The problem with tap water is the minerals and impurities that will build up OVER TIME (caps for emphasis), one shot of tap water is unlikely to screw it up and at least you added PG which would kill any mold / algae in the tap water.

BTW, there are several sites, this one included that sell 'gel' humidifiers that contain the same 'bead' material that everyone here love's so much. So you get the benifit of beads in a package that fits in the same place as your original puck or brick humidifier.

I use em, they work great!

• aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i would think that you would be fine unless you keep using like everyone has said. i use the humi care gel jar and love it. my RH is staying at 68% even. i know beads are more reliable but until i get another humi or my gel runs out i will stick with this.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    You're good. Tap water wil work in a pinch once in a blue moon, but id used regularly will cause problems. Keep a bottle of 50/50 on hand....problem solved:)
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    If your tap water comes from the city then it should be find but if its well water from the tap you might have more issues. There is a lot of bacteria and algea in well water.
  • GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    thanks for all the info guys
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    i recharge my humidifier with tap water.