Home General Discussion

MSRP scam

I recognize the manufacture suggesed retail price is a price set by the company that they feel is what their product should be sold for. I think it is a marketing scam to make you think your getting a better deal than you are, like for instance I've seen deals where they promote 5 cigars for 20 bucks at 50% off of the msrp but if you look at the cigars price as a single stick they might only be 6 dollars a stick normally. Which would really only be a 30% discount Gurka is great for this its better to write something off than to sell it for 80% below retail.

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Weclome to the soulless depraved world of marketing...
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I think "scam" is a bit harsh. Most everyone who buys cigars on the web knows the going rates for a particular stick, and if they don't it's easy to find out. You can do the math and decide if it's actually a deal. I doubt they're really trying to fool you.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Russ55:
    I think "scam" is a bit harsh. Most everyone who buys cigars on the web knows the going rates for a particular stick, and if they don't it's easy to find out. You can do the math and decide if it's actually a deal. I doubt they're really trying to fool you.
    agreed, its a marketing tactic, but if you look around enough you'll find a deal
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    jship079:
    I recognize the manufacture suggesed retail price is a price set by the company that they feel is what their product should be sold for. I think it is a marketing scam to make you think your getting a better deal than you are, like for instance I've seen deals where they promote 5 cigars for 20 bucks at 50% off of the msrp but if you look at the cigars price as a single stick they might only be 6 dollars a stick normally. Which would really only be a 30% discount Gurka is great for this its better to write something off than to sell it for 80% below retail.
    All companies do it......NEGOTIATE lol ccom negotiates wicked deals and I have humis full to prove it lol
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Every daily deal site does the same thing. It's marketing - certainly not a scam.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Typically I look at the MSRP as the highe end of what I would expect to pay at a B&M. You should look at each deal for what it is and compare it to other prices you will find online. I think you will find that cigar.com has prices that are very fair and their customer service is second to none.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Indeed we do not set the MSRP. Sometimes our single pricing is at MSRP (sometimes it is even required by a contract from the supplier) and sometimes we can discount it. believe me, when we can pass on savings, we do. I will say on things like Gurkha, you can go into several retail stores and see it at full retail. So while it may only be a 30% discount off what you may be able to buy it from at CCOM, it is certainly 50% off what you may pay locally. Either way, our specials and sales are always additional discounts below our normal selling price and we use MSRP as the benchmark.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    CCOM has deals that blow my mind. Alex and the staff will do anything to hook up their customers. Thats why they will always have my buisness!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'll be another one to say that Alex and everyone at ccom really do bring out wicked deals and to be honest I really don't mind even paying over msrp as I don't really shop ccom for the savings, I shop with them because it has been proven to me time and time again that they deliver a superb product and if there is anything wrong they will make it right and then some. And hell of a great group of people. (no this isn't a plug either)
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    to be honest I really don't mind even paying over msrp as I don't really shop ccom for the savings, I shop with them because it has been proven to me time and time again that they deliver a superb product
    Alright, prices are going up!!!! Ya, I can call my wife and tell her she can buy groceries this week :)
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Alex Svenson:
    phobicsquirrel:
    to be honest I really don't mind even paying over msrp as I don't really shop ccom for the savings, I shop with them because it has been proven to me time and time again that they deliver a superb product
    Alright, prices are going up!!!! Ya, I can call my wife and tell her she can buy groceries this week :)
    damnit you stupid furball!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lol, so hostile...
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    just to clarify I did not mean ccom specifically ccom kicks ass tim has even droped there listed price by quite a bit for me to meet a competitors price I I just ment in general
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    phobicsquirrel:
    lol, so hostile...
    lmao
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Ccom is the only site where you can e mail or call and get a better/special deal. They are the top shelf cigar site. I am a believer!
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with ya fla-gypsy lol.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I thought the MSRP as nothing more than a price guideline or a point of reference. It's like car manufacturers using their estimated price as a point of reference so that you and the dealer can negotiate it around that point. It's not really a scam. More like a reference point and price regulator for negotiations between the customer and the retailer/wholesaler.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    fla-gypsy:
    Ccom is the only site where you can e mail or call and get a better/special deal. They are the top shelf cigar site. I am a believer!
    sometimes. I asked for a deal on a couple different sticks today and was quoted almost exactly MSRP... maybe like $2 savings over 5 cigars. Granted, first time it's happened, so that won't stop me from asking in the future. Coulda just been those sticks too! No hard feelings here.