Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidifer help

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
HELP! I submerged the Humi-care rectangle gel humidifier in distilled water and set the timer for 4 hours like in the instructions that it came with. However, two hours in, the gel beads over-expanded and popped open the humidifier. I dumped everything into the sink and put most of the gel beads back in and popped it closed, but there's still quite a few beads in the sink. Will this affect my humidity or will I be ok?

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Shoulda warned you about that. If yo have a hair dryer, place the crysatals...all of them, in a bowl and gently blow on the on low for 15 minute or so, that gets em back to normal and everything will be just fine. crystals are finicky as far as expansion but they are the only thing i use, love em.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    let the beads left dry outon something the only problem you may have is that humi devices are made to balance humidty so if it is comptely full it will not draw out the humidty which may have your humidy high NEVER FOLLOW THE HUMIDIFIER DIRECTIONS just use like a shot glass of water if your humidy is low add more water better yet get beads but you should be ok
  • Options
    I tried hairdrying it for 20 min and letting dry naturally for the past two hours. The gel's just too big. It could fill about 4 humidifiers right now. Maybe I should just let it sit in distilled water for 15 min next time.
  • Options
    it will take a while naturally dont sweat it just keep an eye on the RH if it gets high throw a uncharged humidifier in there like one of the pillows from your ccom order or some extra picecs or dry ceader from a old cigar box.
  • Options
    jship079:
    it will take a while naturally dont sweat it just keep an eye on the RH if it gets high throw a uncharged humidifier in there like one of the pillows from your ccom order or some extra picecs or dry ceader from a old cigar box.
    Uh...no, jship. My humidor doesn't have any problems. It's the humidifier. The rectangular Humi-care gel bead humidifier popped open because the beads took in too much water (even though the instructions told me to drown it in water for 4 hours).
  • Options
    sorry about the confusion i was responding to my first post to you that if you put that humidifier in your humi and the gell is completly full it will not draw out any excess humidiity so your rh might go up
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    yeah i did that too. i set it in a pan in the garage so it would dry up. when it does just put the crystals back in snap it shut. soak it for a half hour and you ll be good to go.
  • Options
    MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    Add my dumb ass to the list. I wish I saw this thread before I got started. I might add, its off to a bad start.

I'm new to forum, Cigar collectioning but do have a humidor that I onced used. The humidifier is at 60 and needs to be replaced which is why I ordered a new one.

Going to be running to the store tomorrow for a replacement. I don't even know if its worth the complaint to Ccom.

I odered to samplers to start off with, the Veags 5 and the Padilla...