Home Non Cigar Related

New to Motorcycles.

I've always wanted a motorcycle - and finally decided I'm going to do the work in order to have one.

I don't know how to ride, and will take the Motorcycle Safety Course - and I'm looking to buy a bike and expecting to spend about $1000 for my first one. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a bike that I may down in the first year and I honestly don't know if I'd like a Harley cruiser kind of bike or a Ninja... Both kinds of bike are very appealing to me but I'm not sure which I'd like more.

Problem is, I know absolutely no one who is big on motorcycles! And I am NOT willing to go to my local Harley dealership and have some pretentious sales *** try to tell me what I should do and try to encourage me to spend thousands of dollars -.-

I've browsed Craigslist in my area and found a few bikes I think I'd be seriously interested in.

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/1810976941.html
http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/1812858718.html
http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/1812516095.html
http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/1811953106.html
http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/1810317499.html

Anyone a motorcycler that can give me some real advice on what to do?

Comments

• Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    You want to keep it around $1000? That's gonna be tough for a decent bike, but you sure can start. At that price - I'd definitely recommend a sports-bike and especially a lighter, 250cc one... So in this case - I guess the Ninja is your best choice. This way you will be able to learn quite well on it and not be afraid to smash it or dump it if you are "done" with cycling... Don't get a cruiser of under 650cc. Even that is a bit low for me. And I think learning on a sports-bike or a naked bike or a touring bike is the best thing for u... Even though I do kinda like that Yamaha... But I am always very sceptical about such low prices on cruisers. Make sure you have a mechanic look at it cause with bikes - there are some things that would be very hard to notice at first....
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    When I first started looking at bikes I had a Honda 350 in mind for it's fairly low power and cause those things can be friggin' cheap. But they really just don't appeal to me like I want my bike to. I definitely understand what you say when you say go for something 250cc and that is what I've been glancing around for.

But you say don't get a low cc cruiser, eh? That's a good peice of information right there! I always assumed that when it comes to cruisers you really get what you pay for, but I never really had any reason to believe that.

Thanks a lot for you input... It really helps, buddy :-D
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I would recommend taking a look at used SV650s. They are a little more than you are looking for. That said, they are great bikes. They are easy enough for a beginner, but still entertaining once your skills improve. Kudos for taking the MSF course. I took it and can not say enough good things about it. There are some things I disagree with that they teach, but nothing they teach you will get you hurt, which is more than I can say sometimes from learning from a buddy. Keep the shiny side up and sticky side down ;)
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    NOW we're talking! I'm a born and raised rider bro... You've gotten some good advice here so far, and I'd agree that $1000 may be stretching it to get yourself a decent bike. I don't know how big of a guy you are, but a 250 tends to get old quick (this doesn't change the fact that they're excellent to learn on, however). That being said, out of the choices you've posted, I'd recommend either the Ninja 250, or the Nighthawk. Little bit different riding style out of those two, and in my opinion, the Nighthawk doesn't look quite as lame. As far as cruisers go, there's a VAST difference in value for your CCs...(engine size). I went from a Ninja 600cc sportbike to a Suzuki 800cc cruiser, and the Ninja would leave that Suzuki in the dust. My next bike - a cruiser - will be somewhere in the 1500cc range. Feel free to hit me up if you have any further questions, and hell, you ain't that far away so come down and hang out!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Good luck on your search man! I'm sure you'll find a great bike to learn on and have many great adventures riding! Be safe
    Yeah I agree with Hays about the big CC difference... Right just now (15 mins ago) actually - I rode a friend's Honda CBR 600cc and that was a really neat bike! I am a pretty light guy - 160 pounds but the bike did not feel at all overwhelming. The power however was soooo there. Just a small flick of the accelerator would bring it rushing forward at high RPM... Bottom line - maybe you can even look for something with higher ccs when it comes to sports bikes. Now, here is my piece of advice when it comes to the BRAND of a sports bike. Go in this order:

Honda
    Yamaha
    Suzuki
    Kawasaki

Now I know Kawasakis are quite popular here, but they are far from providing the value that other bikes do. It also explains why they are cheaper and you can get a brand new Ninja 250cc for like $3000... which is so low... I used to hate the Ninjas. They went through a nice redesign the past few years and now look and feel much better, but i'd always try to go for a Honda... This is my last bike - Suzuki Bandit. I love the style of it - http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2008/03/14/bikepics-1215636-full.jpg This is actually my favorite style of bikes... Sexy naked and powerful...
    That Suzuki Bandit is a nice looking bike there, my friend!

I do have a question though about the CC differences... I realize that the higher CC the more power the bike has, but I'm 6'2" and 225lbs... should I be wary getting something low like 250-350?

Also, when looking at used bikes... what is good mileage? I've been told that 50k is too high to consider? Does that sound about right?
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I've been riding bikes all my life (dirt bikes, Aprilia RSV to current Harley v-rod) and I have to say there's nothing easier to ride IMHO than a small cc cruiser. Low center of gravity and not too much power. That being said a 250cc Ninja is a great one to. But if I were going to ride a 250 thats not real comfy, I'd go for a dual sport like a Honda XR 250L (at 6'2" you'ld fit on it nicely). Out of the ones you listed in your price range I'd prolly be lookin at the Yamaha. As for the mileage it all depends on how well the owner took care of it. Most of the engines produced by the big 4 will run well over the 50K mark if treated well. One thing is for sure, at your size after you get comfy riding you will be looking to get a bigger bike, but learning on a smaller one is certainly the way to go. Especially considering that if you by a bike for 1K you should be able to get that back out of it a year or so down the road and upgrade. Whatever way you go, welcome to the riding club.
    Your weight wouldn't make a big difference on the 250cc engine... What I am more concerned about and what I was referring to is the bike's weight. Cause for someone like me - bigger CCs usually mean higher bike weight and it might be troublesome to handle... That's all.. You'll be fine with everything ;)! And the mileage sounds about right...
    I really appreciate all the input guys. I don't think there's been one post on here that hasn't helped! Or at least I think it helps :-)

It may be a while before I end up picking something up because finances are finicky and it's hard for me to justifiably spend a bunch all at once... but I'll definitely post when I get something!
  • Something else I think you should consider... Insurance costs. Sports bikes are WAY more expensive to insure and some companies won't even look at them, especially the liter bikes(1000 cc + sports). I say learn your way on a dual purpose or 650cc and up cruiser and then get a nice 1800 torque monster like a VTX or my favorite the M109r boulevard... In any case, be smart with your riding. Most of the accidents on bikes are either too much speed and not enough experience... Or old woman didn't see you and pulled into your lane. My 2 cents.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    My advice is go bigger than you think you'll need (cc's that is). With the small displacement bikes you will get bored really soon and want something bigger. Also, smaller displacement bikes are generally made for smaller people, a 600 or bigger would fit a guy your size better than something like a 250. My first bike was a Suzuki 650GL and it was great. If you can find a clean Yamaha Seca II (XJ600) it would be a great first bike, is very easy tride, gets great mileage, and has enough power to be entertaining, but not too intimidating. They can usually be had for a pretty good deal too. The SV650 is a great bike too, but a bit more money...
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    i agree go bigger then what you are thinking...i grew up in a riding family..but my first bike 2 years ago...a 2007 GSXR600 red/white brand new off the showroom floor...barely new how to ride it off the lot...took my time learning on the back roads(i did take the class and got my license first)...but just to get comfortable I hung around the backstreets just playing around...my buddy is actually a AMA racer..and well he tought me quick hitting the twists and curves dragging knees in about 2 months...scared me for least a year...but then the 600 got boring(im 250 pounds, 6ft)...I even had it geared, a race pipe, intake, double bubble windscreen, grips, levers, racing pegs, racing tires...u name it I still got bored...my next will def. be no less then 1000cc probably a CBR1000rr or my buddies RC51 If i can get him to give it up! lol
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I started off on a Suzuki Savage. If youre looking for a low budget bike...that maybe your best bet. Its small, nimble and just enough power...it's only single cylinder. But im a bigger guy, 6'2" 210 lbs....ish:) so even though i learned on a savage....i wanted something bigger to be more comfortablt on. Thats when i got my Yamaha V-star1100, bought that an never looked back. Plenty of power and plenty of room. If you plan on riding a lot....go with the comfort and tak into account arm position and leg position....what feels comfortable initially may make your ass go numb or develop a pain between you shoulder blades further on down the road. I'm gettin off topic.....but i really have NOTIHNG bad to say about V-stars....even after 35,000 miles and counting.
    So many Suzuki riders here! Love it! I don't think I'll ever get bored with a GSXR600, but I am also the perfect size for a bike like this ;)... I remember when my friend was teaching me on my first bike. He is also a racer in BG and first few times just drove me around on the back seat. Then, we went to a parking lot and let me make a few spins. Soon after he was like - alright I'm getting on the back and you will ride home! I was like WHAAAT?! I was 115 pounds then! Like a feather and mind it - when you have not ridden a bike - its even harder with a person behind you. Especially if that person doesn't know how to "behave" and is moving left and right as he pleases. My friend at least sat well, but yeah. I was so proud cause I learnt to ride in like 2 hours LOL... After that it was practice practice and going slow. In a month he had me learning how to accelerate fast and corner low. I hit the 12,000rpms like nothing ;)... Or at least I believe it was 12,000 LOL.... So the bottom point - be careful when you give rides to people that have not been on a bike before and you are new... you both can fall at a stop sign or something. Also - make sure u have good tires AND never try cornering low unless somebody teaches you beforehand. You can fly out the road like nothing....
    No offense meant to anyone here, but unless you are riding on a track and have high level skills it is impossible to get to 100% of a 600s potental on the street. I don't understand how you can "get bored" when the bike still has more to give.
    One2gofst:
    No offense meant to anyone here, but unless you are riding on a track and have high level skills it is impossible to get to 100% of a 600s potental on the street. I don't understand how you can "get bored" when the bike still has more to give.
    yeah - i agree... :)... I guess they need more acceleration though... Some bikes can be less boring by providing more torque and faster accel...
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Not to bring down the conversation, but be careful out there. I've known gone to 3 funerals in 3 years of people who have died in motorcycle accidents. It's not all about your skill level, it's about the other numbskulls on the road, putting on make up, eating breakfast, texting, talking on the phone, reading the paper and doing the crossword while driving.
    Rob1110:
    Not to bring down the conversation, but be careful out there. I've known gone to 3 funerals in 3 years of people who have died in motorcycle accidents. It's not all about your skill level, it's about the other numbskulls on the road, putting on make up, eating breakfast, texting, talking on the phone, reading the paper and doing the crossword while driving.
    +1 Be careful...
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    One2gofst:
    100% agreed....me and Joey have argued this point more than once, and I STILL think he's a douche..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    if you buy a sport bike buy the 600. most people starting out on a 600 ride alot better than people who bought 1000 for there first bike. 1000 is alot of bike to learn on. I race off road and moto. when i turned 16 i got my street lic. started out on a 600. now i have a R 1000. the 600 is the best starting point. you live in carson city. i have road up there many of times. take a ride around big blue up there and learn how to corner at your own comfortable pace. a rider who rides over there head eats it really fast.
    cute comment hays...unfortunatly this calls for revenge for you douche comment...you SHREK...oh ...go to the postings under what all of us look like...u may see something family...
    I never disagreed that you dont get all of the use out of ur bike unless your on the track...and ill never say that...the track is far more advanced riding and you can open up more...but you still can get bored if the bike is not a good size as well...I am 6ft,250 pounds...perfect height, just way to much of my fat ass...I did get bored...nothing excited me about it realyl after putting on 13k in one year...i still loved the ride and loved the bike...but wanted more power off the line and out of the corners for MY SIZE and weight...simply put...fat guy, little bike, no fun lol
    OK, lets play devils advocate for a moment. a 2010 Suzuki GSX-R 600 has 125 hp and 50 ft-lbs of torque. A C6 corvette has 430 hp and 424 ft-lbs. The Suzuki weighs in around 430 full of fluids, while the curb weight on the Corvette is 3208. Add 250 lbs to each number and you are looking at weights of 580 and 3558, respectively. So the bike's power to weight and torque to weight are 4.64 lbs/hp and 11.6 lbs/ft-lb. The Corvette comes in at 7.46 lbs/hp and 8.39 lbs/ft-lb. From what you describe, it sounds as though you enjoy the perception of torque, which of course is fine, put it doesn't have anything to do with power, as power is a function of torque multiplied by rpms and divided by 5252. That is why motorcycles can have such high specific hp, because they can spin up to high rpms. My point is, I don't think many people would call driving a Corvette boring. A 600cc sportbike is going to be able to run a 1/4 mile in mid 10s, while a stock C6 Corvette is going to get mid 12s on it's best day. All someone needs as a reason to get whatever they want, as far as I'm concerned is "because I want one." But when one vehicle has such impressive performance numbers, yet merely lacks torque, I think it is a bit one dimensional to call it boring. 600s today are putting out nearly as much power as liter bikes of a decade ago and weigh significantly less. I'd laugh my ass off if someone came up to me in 2000 and told me that their liter bike was boring.
    I guess then every one has a different opinion of boring...as for corvettes...POS is my opinion..I respect the power that they do have, yet do think they could be so much better(interior, and exterior), but i will say chevy corvettes do have one of the BEST traction control systems in the world and wont argue there, but you give me a 100k corvette for free, versus a 100k porsche to drive around, ill take the Porsche in a heart beat for the drive...its completely different... As well, each person has a different feel for a bike..so when I say its boring to me for my 600...i dont mean its no fun to drag knee around every corner, it also doesnt mean that its not fun to fly down the highway at 110mph, but i mean that the bike just doesnt excite me like it once did. I get used to the power, the way it leans, revs, etc...simple as that but i do see what your saying one2gofast...u make a legit point but also realize each person does have a different perspective in life for different things..for instance, after owning a Suzuki600, ill never buy one again...not that it had issues or anything, I just have had the chance to ride ducati 999s, 1098, 1098s, cbr's 600, 600rr, 1000, 1000rr, rc51, kaw 600, etc...just I prefer the twins or the european bikes...or honda...simply put
    One2gofst:
    If we're talking about modern 600's, I agree that they are plenty fast. To keep it in context with the OP though, he is looking at older bikes on a budget. As far as the "I don't understand how you can "get bored" when the bike still has more to give." comment goes, this sounds like something someone who doesn't ride would say. That being said, I have no idea of your experience level or if you ride at all and don't have time right now to look up your previous posts, but the power delivery of even a modern 600 may seem a bit boring to someone who wants torque, not top end rev's. Just my .02
    thanks for backing me up bud...appreciated lol...yeah top end never had a problem...just more torque would be nice...and i love ur comment abbout this sounds like something someone who doesnt ride would say lol....
    Assume whatever you like. I was not addressing the OP when speaking about 600s, but rather Joey's comments about them being boring. If you take a look at my original post I did recommend an excellent used bike to the OP.
    IC. I guess the whole boring thing is just a matter of perspective. What's boring to one guy could be ridiculously exciting to another. Myself, I'm not looking for a 14,000RPM motor that doesn't make power till it gets up to 10K-12K. For daily riding it would feel a bit flat because I'm not generally gonna get the R's up there on the street. I however love the Honda VFR bikes with the V four because the power band is very usable and torquey in a daily environment and more comfortable than a full on supersport. In a drag race, the 600 would win, but I'll take daily ridability and comfort. (I must be getting old...)
    i like twin bikes too....more torque in the lowwer end which is nice off the line...and yes, everyone has a different perspective! lol