Home Cigar 101
Options

harsh endings

I've found that cigars typically tend to get really harsh towards the end of the smoke.  Just out of curiousity I was wondering why that happens. 

-Thomas

Comments

• Options
    RailedRailed Posts: 30
    Good question!  i would like ot know the answer to that too.
    I could only guess that it burns hotter since there is less restriction for air traveling through the cigar.  also less tobacco to filter and cool the smoke?

• Options
    matt.hickeymatt.hickey Posts: 54
    Through my own experience and my interpretation of what others here have posted I think I might have a suitable answer. Some of you guys with more experience and knowledge help me out if I am on the wrong track. There is nothing different about the cigar at the end to make it more or less harsh it is the same as the rest of the cigar. That being said if you treat it bad by leaving stale smoke in it from not blowing it out or puff to fast it will increase not only the harshness or even bitterness of the cigar but the faster smoking will make it much hotter thereby altering some of the fundamental properties of the tobacco at the end of the cigar. In other words it has already been charred and you are smoking "charcoal" and stae smoke if you don't smoke it right. -Matt
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    matt.hickey:
    Through my own experience and my interpretation of what others here have posted I think I might have a suitable answer. Some of you guys with more experience and knowledge help me out if I am on the wrong track. There is nothing different about the cigar at the end to make it more or less harsh it is the same as the rest of the cigar. That being said if you treat it bad by leaving stale smoke in it from not blowing it out or puff to fast it will increase not only the harshness or even bitterness of the cigar but the faster smoking will make it much hotter thereby altering some of the fundamental properties of the tobacco at the end of the cigar. In other words it has already been charred and you are smoking "charcoal" and stae smoke if you don't smoke it right. -Matt
    I can see that.

My answer was gunna be that as you get closer to your lips the smoke has less time to cool... but there aremany cigars out there that will burn cool all the way down. maybe that can be atributed to the construction. ...im not 100% sure.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I think its mostly due to crap building up like tar getting stuck in the end closest to your mouth, by the time you start burning that section, you are smoking the crap that has built up. I believe over heating the cigar contributes to this stuff building up quicker. but you would think that the hotter the fire the more cleanly it would burn... dunno.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nice ... i never thought of that. good call!!