Home Cigar 101

Cigars on camping trips?

mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
July 5th-10th I will be going on a camping trip with a few buddies and we're going to be doing an awful lot of cigar smoking, but I'm concerned about something. Even with a proper travel humi or herf-a-dor where humidity can be controlled, what can be done about the temperature issue? We'll be in the Texas hill country, so it'll be about 100 degrees every day.

Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    You can use a cooler maybe? Perhaps a cooler with an icepack and a herfador inside the cooler to protect it from crazy temperatures?
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Using ice or an icepack would lead me to believe condensation issues would be a problem.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    The biggest problem with temp is hatching the dreaded tabacco beetle when you get above 75 degrees just try to keep your travel humi in the coolest darkest place you can find a few days should be no problem at a higher temp outside
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    You must be going to rough it. I will be camping also that week but the 20 ct humi will be safely in the camper with the A/C plugging away.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1

Marty

Camping with air-conditioning? Might as well just sit at home ;)
  • bobdbobd Posts: 71
    I think we sometimes baby our cigars a little too much, I mean what did they do in the old days before all of this high tech humidification and temp control?  Plus I have had some sticks that have stored in less than ideal conditions and they burn and tasted great.  Don't get me wrong I am checking my RH all the time and try to do my best to maintain proper conditions but I think cigars may be tougher than we sometimes think.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bobd:
    I think we sometimes baby our cigars a little too much, I mean what did they do in the old days before all of this high tech humidification and temp control?  Plus I have had some sticks that have stored in less than ideal conditions and they burn and tasted great.  Don't get me wrong I am checking my RH all the time and try to do my best to maintain proper conditions but I think cigars may be tougher than we sometimes think.
    well said.

if you have higher end sticks there is a very good chance that they have been fumigated already.

if you are still worried, freeze them for a few days in a zip loc.

if you are still worried, in the herfador, divide sticks up in plastic bags... one or two in each bag. then if beetles are there and hatch they wont get to all of your cigars.

OR only take tubos.
  • bobd:
    I agree. Having them in a ziplock bag for a few days will have no adverse impact.
    mrpillow:
    Camping with air-conditioning? Might as well just sit at home ;)
    Well if you have never seen my camping pics I can understand but it is the only way to go in the deep south in the middle of summer. Here are a few samples image
    Link to all pics
    http://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
    See, that just looks like a day at the park to me. Not saying it isn't awesome fun, but not really my idea of camping!
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    You'll be smokin' em before they get a chance to hatch.I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I'd keep them in a herf-a-dor inside a cooler ;) Seriously though, if you just use like one cool pack it isn't going to make it freezing cold in there and shouldn't cause any condensation issues. Otherwise, I'd just take a chance and herf-a-dor it.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    When I saw that second to last pic I thought you were badass for camping in snow.
    Goldy:
    When I saw that second to last pic I thought you were badass for camping in snow.
    LOL, taken from the waters edge of Souith Carolina Beach.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I took several sticks with me last year when it was 80plus, maybe in the 90's.. and they were fine. though that don't seem like camping, way too cushy.. hehe.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    cigars are meant to relax with, not to worry constantly about. if you are then put in a small cooler with an ice pack like someone said and you will be fine. have fun out there
  • fla-gypsy, is the third picture there Silver Glen Spring?  I think we're heading down there this week.