Home Cigar 101

What do I need to get this lighter going?

I just bought the Lotus Man O' War Lighter and its really sweet but it came with no instructions on filling it and it has no fuel. Sooo.....I dont even know if it is butane or what...is it? And how would I go about filling either way? seems like there is a nozzle where the flame size wheel gage thing is. Anyways..anybody have this lighter that can en"lighten" me?? Thanks!

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You need a can of butane, preferably good quality like Lava, Colibri, basically anything that's at least triple refined. Turn the flame setting down to its lowest setting, all the way to the right, and press the nozzle into the fuel valve. Hold it in place for 6 or 7 seconds, and I always like to pulse it a couple more times after that, just press and hold for one second a couple times. Should be as simple as that. Every so often, you'll want to purge the tank, as air will build up in there, this is a simple matter of finding something that will depress the valve where you fill it up and allow any built-up gases to escape, try to find something that won't block the hole.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest Vector Signature Quintuplus. Filtered 5 times lol. Anyways, j0z3r gave you all the instructions you really need. Just keep in mind that you wanna refill it in 3 to 5 second pulses about 3 or 4 times. One long pulse will just create a lot of problems for your lighter in the long run. Also, wait about 20 to 30 min after refilling before you try lighting it up just to be safe.
  • Cool guys! Thanks.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    everyone gave you great advice...but i have the same lighter...refill it like they said..short burst, but i never waited 30 minutes before using....i actually filled it tonight and within 60 seconds lit my stick up...i love this lighter...i ahve 4 diff lighters but pretty much only use this lol..i also have the man o war cutter. lol..
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Lol. I dunno about the 20 to 30 min wait, really. It's just on the instructions that came with my RP Executive Triple Torch Lighter. I assume it should be good to go once it's refilled, but I guess gas may still be volatile right after refill?
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    well i heard on triple torches u wait due to the intense use of fuel for the flames...the fuel needs to settle before burning it all at once through the 3 flames other wise it causes air pockets in the chamber? im sure thats full of crap info but hey,.....better info then u got now lol
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    You are supposed to wait because the fuel goes into the lighter really cold. Something to do with pressure, sorry - I'm not into physics but I'm sure someone knows why. Letting it sit allows the fuel to warm up to room temperature. My Bugati B-1 works fine right away, my triple-flame Lotus definitely needs 10-20 minutes of waiting to work reliably.
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I did not wait for very long after filling mine up once..... and it light my hand on fire.....
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hold it in my hand for a few minutes to warm it up and then light it.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    You are supposed to wait because the fuel goes into the lighter really cold. Something to do with pressure, sorry - I'm not into physics but I'm sure someone knows why. Letting it sit allows the fuel to warm up to room temperature. My Bugati B-1 works fine right away, my triple-flame Lotus definitely needs 10-20 minutes of waiting to work reliably.

Ooh,I used to be a physics major. When butane is in the canister it is at room temp but the second you fill your lighter there is a pressure drop in the can which translates to a temperature drop. If you want to think of it the other way, look at car tires. As the tires heat up the pressure increases. Butane has a boiling point of ~31 degrees F which is why they have issues working in cold environments.