Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor seasoning?

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
I'm nearing the end of day 2 on the seasoning. I put a bowl of water along with a charged humidifier on the bottom and put the calibrated hygrometer on the tray on top. How long do most people season the humidor for? My hygrometer still says 80 rh.

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    People will throw out all kinds of time frames, but barring some sort of emergency (of which I cannot imagine an applicable one..), I would recommend 5-7 days. Your humidity will indeed run high during this time, because you have such an influx of humidity, but that and the time will ensure that the cedar absorbs the adequate amount of humidity so as to complete its purpose.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    heh, this time of year you may not need to season for long as Hays said. 65% beads are really nice to have during the humid months - trying to remove the excess humidity can be a pain without them.
  • Options
    Nearing the end of day 4 of seasoning. Hygrometer still says 80. Should I just keep everything the same and wait? I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly. Calibrated the hygrometer and all I did was place a bowl of water in it with the charged gel humidifier. Did -not- wipe down with damp towel.
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    i left mine like that and my humidity dropped when i started putting my sticks in. your humi should even out by itself. i would put a shot glass of distilled water in there and watch the level of it. once it stops dropping its time to put your sticks in. thats what i did and it worked great. im holding about 67%
  • Options
    Ok. I was starting to think I was doing it wrong because so many people say that it has to be wiped down with a damp towel or sponge. But at the same time, a lot of people say that wiping the interior with a damp towel will warp the wood.

I chose not to wipe it down, but I'm not too confident if I'm doing it right.
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    im telling you do the shot glass thing and see once the water level stops dropping your humi is properly seasoned