Home Cigar 101

Humidifying a box?

I just got a box of Montecristo White's but don't have room for all of them in my humidor.  I've got half in the humidor and half in the box.  Would it be prudent of me to put a humidification pillow or something in the box to keep those fresh?  Or what should I do?

-Thomas

Comments

• bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    Thomas, I had a similar situation and I was pointed towards a cooler-dor. Pretty economical...just pickup a decent size igloo or similar ice box and add some sort of humidification devcie (water pillow, beads, etc) and put your box in there. I find that since ice boxes are usually a roomier than desktop humidors, you have a lot more room for expansion. Theres my two cents.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The cooler-dor is a good suggestion, but if you are just looking to humidify the remainder of the box, I would imagine a water pillow or two inside the box would be sufficient. If you go the water pillow route, you may want to try and seal up any large gaps in the seal of the lid so that it maintains humidity a bit better, you could accomplish that by cutting a strip of a plastic bag and laying it across, or taping it to, the surface if the lid so that it seals a bit tighter.

And that's my McGyver inspired advice :)

Joe
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The cooler-dor is a good suggestion, but if you are just looking to humidify the remainder of the box, I would imagine a water pillow or two inside the box would be sufficient. If you go the water pillow route, you may want to try and seal up any large gaps in the seal of the lid so that it maintains humidity a bit better, you could accomplish that by cutting a strip of a plastic bag and laying it across, or taping it to, the surface if the lid so that it seals a bit tighter.

And that's my McGyver inspired advice :)

Joe
    along those lines...

giant zip loc will work over the box. wood that is not finished will let moisture through. it may be hard to keep RH in there. zip-loc will take care of that.
  • Thanks!  One more question, if I put cigars of different strengths and different kinds of wrappers, the flavor won't go from one to another will it?
  • matt.hickeymatt.hickey Posts: 54
    I would think that mixing those different strengths and flavors would be a good thing. It might give you a unique flavor that no one else can duplicate. It might be really good. But if you don't want to mix flavors I might suggest storing your cigars in different humidors or in a case in different boxes. That is my take there might be other opinions. -Matt
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    MusicTheoryMan:
    Thanks!  One more question, if I put cigars of different strengths and different kinds of wrappers, the flavor won't go from one to another will it?
    wont mix.

think of it this way:
    If that were the case i could buy some bundles of buck-a-stick connecticut shade cigars and throw it in the humi with one or two OpusX and the flavor would transfer and i could save alot of money. (or the opus will taste like a cheap buck-a-stick) but i cant do that, cos it doesnt work. the only chance of the flavors mixing is if you have them right next to eachother for years and years and years with no rotation ever. I dont see that happening in your humidor. (or mine and i have a humidor set up just to age cigars) the transfer of oils from one cigar to another is not an issue. the marrying of oils within a single cigar is what we want (and get)

if there is still concern, you can cut down on flavor transfer by keeping the cellophane on. ...oh yeah, Flavored cigars WILL TRANSFER TASTE. dont put them in a humidor that you keep non-flavored. they will ruin a humidor (if your deffinition of "ruin" is that all of your non-flavoreds will now be all flavored the same)
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    MusicTheoryMan:
        I just got a box of Montecristo White's but don't have room for all of them in my humidor.  I've got half in the humidor and half in the box.  Would it be prudent of me to put a humidification pillow or something in the box to keep those fresh?  Or what should I do?

-Thomas
    I have room in my humidor, you can just send them to me.My address is...