Home Ratings & Reviews

MOW Virtue

Had my first MOW Virtue.  I didn't really care for it.  The cigar had a very soft roll and the taste was rather bland.  I can't really get a good flavor profile on it but it seems like a papery taste.  Flavor would switch from absent to paper to a very weak cream.  It tastes a lot like the 5 vegas right off the truck without the harsh notes.  I'll revisit the cigar after a couple months of aging but overall it was a simple, uninspiring taste.  Has anyone else had issues?  I checked my humidor and it was at 72% with temperatures ranging from 70-75 degrees depending on the time of day.  Burn was correct with no wrapper issues and the beverage of choice was unsweetened tea.  I'd place it under the Perdomo 10th, Rocky 99, and 5 Vegas (price point) but slightly better than the CAO Gold.

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Hmmm... had my first Virtue a while back also, but had a very different impression. MUY DELICIOSO! Had a very creamy taste throughout, very smooth. I understand trouble with a flacor profile to a degree - this was the first cigar I have ever had that I would classify as a full-flavored mild, not sure exactly how to explain it. Was a mild flavor but the body was strong if that makes any sense to anyone??? I would give this one two thumbs up, and cant wait to try more.

Great burn, tons of smoke (which I am a fan of), burn time was somewhere between 45 minutes to an hour. One thing I noticed you didnt mention in your comments - what size did you try? I know that can make a significant difference with certain brands more than others. I had the lonsdale size, which I am usually not a big fan of, but this one was really good.

Glad to hear you're going to give it another try down the line, because IMO its definitely worth it.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I've had a few of these, but so far in the Robusto size only and I would agree with SNIPER. I enjoy this smoke alot. Very smooth and tons of smoke! Takes me about 45-55 minutes for the Robusto. Burns perfectly and no construction issues so far. I've had 3 of em so far and have another 6 resting. Hope they get better with a little age on em. I enjoyed the flavor and just how smooth this cigar was the most.

Do try it again.
  • MrBuhlMrBuhl Posts: 4
    +3 - I really enjoy these - tons of creamy thick smoke (which I also like) although I also do note the very light draw on them. I've had the Robusto, Lonsdale, and my fav is the Toro - this really shines in the larger format in my opinion. Let er rest and give it another try!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I just bought the Weekend Blitz (robo) that included 3 of these. I have never had one, but I am ready to make an attempt to get my MoW badge.

"Long ashes my friends."

• vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    i too got the daily deal. i didnt let them rest long and i loved it. they came in robo, but i got 3 toro sent to me from another order. had this smoke after a huge dinner on a hot evening. one of the best milds i have ever had.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    +4...my only complaint is they don't last long enough. Give 'em some time and another chance.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    thehoff:
    Had my first MOW Virtue.  I didn't really care for it.  The cigar had a very soft roll and the taste was rather bland.  I can't really get a good flavor profile on it but it seems like a papery taste.  Flavor would switch from absent to paper to a very weak cream.  It tastes a lot like the 5 vegas right off the truck without the harsh notes.  I'll revisit the cigar after a couple months of aging but overall it was a simple, uninspiring taste.  Has anyone else had issues?  I checked my humidor and it was at 72% with temperatures ranging from 70-75 degrees depending on the time of day.  Burn was correct with no wrapper issues and the beverage of choice was unsweetened tea.  I'd place it under the Perdomo 10th, Rocky 99, and 5 Vegas (price point) but slightly better than the CAO Gold.
    well, if you have any extras, I'll take them off your hands... I'm a fan... i haven't met a MOW that I didn't like
  • thehoffthehoff Posts: 76
    I find it odd that everyone seems to have enjoyed that cigar.  I must be unlucky.  Will revisit it guys in about 6 months.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    thehoff:
    I find it odd that everyone seems to have enjoyed that cigar.  I must be unlucky.  Will revisit it guys in about 6 months.
    You're just hearing from the people who've had good experiences. I'm not saying they are wrong by any means, but of the 6 I've had, so far half have been total garbage. The other half were ok to good. I plan to revisit the toro and the robusto sometime in a few months, but I'm in no rush.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    This is a cigar that can really change with the vitola - the flavor profile is the same from vitola to vitola, but the flavors can vary in their intensity depending on which one you smoke. The lonsdale is a much mroe full-flavored smoke than the churchill.

I've had the churchill/toro, and they're pretty much my favorites. Keep in mind that I don't care much for full-bodied smokes, and I'm shy with flavors that are too full for my taste (I don't care much for the lonsdale/torpedo), so my preference for the larger ring gauges may not match yours
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    thehoff:
    Part of the problem may be the 72% RH. I've never had a stick smoke or taste right at that high of a RH, but that's just my experience. I've had every vitola except the salomon (it's resting) and really dig this stick. So far my fav is the lonsdale and I was surprised at how much I liked the churchill. It's one of my top milder sticks :^)
  • coachjamiecoachjamie Posts: 337
    I have had 2 of these and I really like them. The only thing I don't like is the price. I think they are a bit overpriced for sure.
    coachjamie:
    I have had 2 of these and I really like them. The only thing I don't like is the price. I think they are a bit overpriced for sure.
    I've been able to pick up robusto sizes for $2.75 each! Thats the size I prefer so I'm happy.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    You have a PM Shawn
  • coachjamiecoachjamie Posts: 337
    You have another PM
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Just picked up a two 5 packs of the Robusto off the DD a couple days ago and just had to smoke one off the truck, loved it, good flavor, even burn, nice white smoke, draw was a little loose but that's ok. Can't wait to get some age on the other ones, I bet they'll be even better.
    brotheradam:
    Just picked up a two 5 packs of the Robusto off the DD a couple days ago and just had to smoke one off the truck, loved it, good flavor, even burn, nice white smoke, draw was a little loose but that's ok. Can't wait to get some age on the other ones, I bet they'll be even better.
    Yea man, I really liked them. I had one on me the other day and my friend asked me for it...I said no prob and smoked an AF Hemmingway instead. He absolutely loved it and asked me for another one the next day. He doesnt smoke too many cigars, but just text me what he needs to do to set up ....I think I had a tear in my eye.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    as much as I love the original and Ruination I think the Virtue is one of my faves, it's always so darn tasty
  • thehoffthehoff Posts: 76
    robbyras:
    thehoff:
    well, if you have any extras, I'll take them off your hands... I'm a fan... haven't met a MOW that I didn't like
    I'm going to be posting a decent sized trade post in a week or so. I'll probably list em as well. When I do I'll give you first shot if you want.