Home Ratings & Reviews

LHC Oscuro Fuerte

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte
5.5x54 "Robusto"

Right off the bat, this is a pretty big stick for a robusto. I assumed it was a small toro, until checking the internet for dimensions. The stick has a beautiful dark chocolate colored wrapper, really thick, and super toothy. It has a rough leathery feel to it. You can feel the tooth, as well as see it on this one. It is called Oscuro Fuerte, though I'm pretty certain this is just a maduro, not an oscuro leaf wrapper. I am a big fan of Pennsylvania Broadleaf Maduro, which is the wrapper on this stick, as well as A.J. Fernandez, the blender behind it, so I'm excited to be reviewing it.

The body gives off a faint woody aroma, as well as sweet tobacco. The foot smells like chocolate as well as that great humidor scent. The pre-light draw is loose, and gives cocoa and pepper flavors, as well as a pretty rich earth.

Lit at 10:45pm.

Initial draw flavors as, as expected, heavy cocoa and coffee, with a strong pepper finish. Sweet tobacco is in there somewhere as well, but not as well defined.

Getting into the first third, the flavors start to become more readily discernable. There is an earth flavor right on the draw, followed by a coffee and cocoa, followed by a good tobacco flavor, and a peppery finish, with some more coffee flavor. The cocoa is really pleasant, and at around an inch and a half, the pepper has sort of fallen back to a low heat on the rear of the palette, like after eating a hot pepper, and having a sip of water. Smoke production is awesome, making big billowing clouds of white smoke, and coming off the foot and cap pretty heavily after each draw. Through the nasal retrohale, there is definitely still some heat, but also the coffee flavor. Burn line isn't flawless, but it is pretty good, and certainly self-correcting, if a little wavy.

Into the second third a little ways, and the flavors haven't really changed much. Seems this is going to be a pretty steady stick, especially in terms of transition. Still the same cocoa, and pepper, with a coffee through the nose. Getting a little leather as I get around the halfway point, which is one of my favorite flavors. Love the combination of sweet cocoa, and dry leather. Still burning well too, no tunnels, no heat problems, nothing. Ash is tight, and holding for over an inch at a time.

Around the start of the final third a creamy nut flavor comes on strong. Not a bitter nuttiness like when a stick gets too hot, but rather a smooth nut flavor that is awesome with the leather and cocoa already there. Pepper has come up a bit as well on the finish, which I think is pretty typical in sticks like this one later on. Loving it. Really relaxing. This is however a fairly strong cigar, so despite being a good relaxing smoke, I'm definitely starting to feel it a little. Not in my stomach, but just in the head and such. Little buzz going on from it. With rich flavors like this, it is a great dessert smoke, after a heavy meal would be great, or with a cup of coffee. Put a clip in it with an inch and a half left to keep smoking. Still tasting great, pepper is strong as heck now, smoke is getting a little hot.

Ended at 12:28, which is awesome for a robusto, total time of 1 hour 45 minutes. I would definitely recommend this stick, expecially for its low price, to anyone looking for good, rich maduro flavors.

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Great review. I agree that this is a great maduro for the price. Definitely one of my favorites.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    thats crazy cuz i hated this stick...i didnt like it at all lol
  • Great review, one of my favorites as well... I love how they are included in a lot of samplers
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Great review. I think you pretty much nailed it. Good coffee, cocoa and gets creamy on the last 1/3rd. It's what you expect it to be when you look at it or nose it pre-light.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    It is a great go to stick for me
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    got any? i'll take em off your hands.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    me too! lol
    Hayblet:
    cholmes8310:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    me too! lol
    get in line!! haha. Thanks to you I'm hooked though. That was the best salomon I've ever had. Bet they're even better in robusto size.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    Lol. Like the others said, I'll take 'em off your hands :P
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    Hayblet:
    cholmes8310:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    me too! lol
    get in line!! haha. Thanks to you I'm hooked though. That was the best salomon I've ever had. Bet they're even better in robusto size.
    ok how about if he sends em to you... you send me a couple? :D
    Hayblet:
    cholmes8310:
    Hayblet:
    cholmes8310:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    me too! lol
    ok how about if he sends em to you... you send me a couple? :D
    yeah, that'd work! gotta bribe him into sending me some if he has any first though.
  • Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    I smoked mine too fast. It kicked my butt.

I'll have to try one again after I have learned you cant pound cigars
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    LOL Joey doesn't have any guys...If he did, I'd have claimed em the last time I mooched from his humi.

In any case, HELLOVA review bro! Excellent recap of a stick that I really liked - very well done.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨