Home Cigar 101

coolidor humidity

Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
The site I bought my beads off of said 2lbs of beads for my 150 qt collidor. So I put 4 (1/2 lb each) bags in the coolidor. I finally bought a nice hygrometer for it, calibrated it. Now it's saying the humidty is as high as 82%. My other, small 20 ct humi reads nice at 70%. I switched hygrmeters and the coolidor read the same with my other hygrometer.

Both are in the same location, both are remaining a consitent and nice temp (between 70-74 F)

Now I use my collidor mostly as storage. I only smoke cigars out of my 20 ct. Should I be concerned with humidity this high? The sticks dont appear to be blown out like some of the pics I've seen online. Should I take one the bead bags out? Leave the lid open?

Comments

• Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    Also...P.S. Should I maybe attach soem kind of battery powered fan apparatus in there to get air circulation??
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sounds like the beads are over charged.
    i would pull out all but one bag of beads and set the bags on or next to the air conditioning vent until they are all de-charged. then put them back in and see what happens.
    Big T smokes:
    Also...P.S. Should I maybe attach soem kind of battery powered fan apparatus in there to get air circulation??
    it couldnt hurt. small fan oust sized fan works. or better yet, a computer fan that will turn on every half hour and stay on for only a few minutes. just enough to stir it up.
    how would i attach and power the computer fan? I can just get batteries for an oust fan. Also... the beads seem really dry to me as is. I'm doing liek you said and leaving them out for a day or two though.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Just use an oust fan then.
    from what i can gather the 70% beads dont soak up as quickly as the 65% beads do for some reason. this is why im saying to decharge more than if it was 65% beads.

generally speaking, if the ambient humidity is higher, and your beads are even the SLIGHTEST over charged, they will have a hard time soaking up extra moisture. in the summer i keep my beads very dry. if i dont i end up with humidity in the mid 70s ... and that is very high for me considering i like my humidity at 65%-67%
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    My humidity kept climbing so i found that if i opened the drain it would allow a little air flow and stableize.
    good idea! i'll try this. im also getting an oust fan tommorow. I foudn a bunch of cedar inserts from the boxes i took apart so I threw them int here to hopefully soak up soem of the humidity and I'm going to check it again tommorow morning. MY cigars won't get ruined with such high humidity will they? I figured they are ok as long as I have the temp down.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Big T smokes:
    good idea! i'll try this. im also getting an oust fan tommorow. I foudn a bunch of cedar inserts from the boxes i took apart so I threw them int here to hopefully soak up soem of the humidity and I'm going to check it again tommorow morning. MY cigars won't get ruined with such high humidity will they? I figured they are ok as long as I have the temp down.

You can get mold with high RH and low temp, i'd leave the lid wedged open a little to let some air circulate and check every couple of hours.

Or just take all the beads out, that'll at least stop the humidity from climbing any higher.

what does the mold normally look like? i checked my sticks they seem to be ok.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I believe either black or blue in color.

You shouldn't have any yet, unless this has been going on for weeks???

no no no i just noticed the humidity spike. i was just being cautious.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Kuzi...excellent advice. Add the fan also. Sounds like the beads are over-charged.