2»

Comments

• DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    wow thats alot of rolling..
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    They don't make many of them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    And I also doubt you'd want a 46 year old cigar anyhow, Cuban or not, it would probably be flavorless.
    Iduno about that. though all of us at the forum agree that CA's reviews are a bit tainted, they cant be 100% off. I remember an issue where they rated some cigars that were in the 40-50 year range. two of them were ratings of 100. Im not sure that it was worth the 100 rating but giving them that score at least hints that it isnt flavorless.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    And I also doubt you'd want a 46 year old cigar anyhow, Cuban or not, it would probably be flavorless.
    Iduno about that. though all of us at the forum agree that CA's reviews are a bit tainted, they cant be 100% off. I remember an issue where they rated some cigars that were in the 40-50 year range. two of them were ratings of 100. Im not sure that it was worth the 100 rating but giving them that score at least hints that it isnt flavorless.
    I imagine this really depends on the cigar. A mild cigar after 40 years would have to be flavorless, IMO.
    im not sure... i think it would have more flavor but i guess you dont know intill you try it...
    Dias, aging a ciar will never give it more flavor. The point in aging is to mellow a cigar out and let the different tobaccos that are blended together "marry". It may change the flavor slightly and bring out different nuances but it will never give it more flavor, or strength.
    i see... ok makes sense thanks for the insight
    Sure thing. Now that said, what it might do is bring out some subtle nuances your palate couldn't previously taste but they will be nuances and subltities not powerful flavors.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    think of it this way. Cigars are a natural product. Once the leaves are picked off the plant they start to break down. as its rolled and ages as a cigar it is still breaking down. there is nothing added when you age. there are things broken down in the leaf. It CANT get stronger.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    la-henry:
    Has anybody had these at all?? I was thinking about buying the 5 pack that cigar.com has for when my friend comes back to the states for a month off of duty in the marines. Just wondering if it was a quality smoke.

I think you may be referring to these:

http://www.cigar5packs.com/index.cfm/action/cigars/sub/brand/cn/Pre-Embargo Cuban Cigars

I picked up a few of these at a local shop and gave them to friends because they were cheap (real pre-embargo cubans are not cheap, they're collectors items now, so they're pricey). One person said it was pretty good (but was so drunk, they wouldn't have known if they were smoking dog crap rolled in newspaper) and the other person threw it out after a few puffs. In short, if those are the cigars you're looking at, there's better out there.
    Rob, This is cigar.com's forum it is generally considered poor taste to talk about or especially post other companies info or products. I know it wasn't ur intention to try to promote another site, just letting you know.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    I wouldn't doubt it kuzi, but I would imagine cigars that hold up to 40-50 year aging and still maintain a decent amount of flavor are the extreme minority. Of course, you can fill a thimble with what I know about aged cigars, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    I wouldn't doubt it kuzi, but I would imagine cigars that hold up to 40-50 year aging and still maintain a decent amount of flavor are the extreme minority. Of course, you can fill a thimble with what I know about aged cigars, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.
    Joz, thats true of all of us. No one here has smoked trully aged cigars, I've had one that was around 15 but 1 cigar is far from enough to form a valid argument. Its all opinion and in some cases research.
    madurofan:
    Rob,
    This is cigar.com's forum it is generally considered poor taste to talk about or especially post other companies info or products. I know it wasn't ur intention to try to promote another site, just letting you know.

Understood. I did check cigar.com for these cigars and couldn't find them, so just did a google search, knowing that I had bought them at a local shop and could give an opinion (2nd hand) on them.
    Understandable just giving you the heads up. :) ... welcome by the way
    madurofan:
    Understandable just giving you the heads up. :) ... welcome by the way

Thanks Mad.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    My wife bought me 8 or 10 of these along with a travel humidor when we got engaged back in 03. Back then they were $8-10 a stick depending on the size. The guy running the shop at Tampa St. Pete said they were the best cigar he has ever had. It was a special occasion so we shelled out the $ at a local shop. I have smoked a few with friends and I still have 2 in the humi waiting for the right occasion. They are exceptional. Even with my limited cigar knowledge these are/were exceptional smokes. Funny enough they came with a stamped certificate of authenticity.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    I have a Camacho 62 Pre-Embargo that I got from a friend. The smell is wonderful, and my buddy raves about it all the time. He keeps rubbing it in that he picked them up when they were on the Friday deal a couple months ago.
  • I kicked out and bought a box of 'em about a year ago.. smoked two since then.

Excellent addition to the humidor and are very nice smokes