Home Cigar 101

Gurkha Centurian and Master Select Sultan?

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
I got these two a while ago in Sultan size, but I can't tell which is which, since they both have the red Gurkha band. One has a cedar sheet wrapped around it, but the other doesn't. Which is which?!

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Based on my research of the Master Select in other sizes, I think the cedar wrapped one is the MS.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    thats what i thought as well... but, i got a trade or bomb recently... with what I thought was a cedar wrapped MS, but it turned out to be a special size of the centurian.
    The plot thickens......
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I have never seen a cedar wrapped Centurian.
    That's kinda cool.

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Every Centurian I have ever smoked has had a second band on it, that says Centurian...
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    docbp87:
    Every Centurian I have ever smoked has had a second band on it, that says Centurian...
    None of the 30 centurians in my humi came with a second band that say centurian.

stephen_hannibal:
    docbp87:
    None of the 30 centurians in my humi came with a second band that say centurian.

My recent order of Centurians had a second band. Must be a new thing.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    docbp87:

I'm fairly certain it's new. Nightmaremike sent me a centurian that's 1 or 2 years old from the movie trivia pass. His didn't have the band, but the newer ones that I smoked had the second band.

In any case...so the Centurian Sultan is the one that's cedar wrapped?
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    No dice on some preliminary google images searching. I don't have experience with either of these cigars so I'm no help.

Maybe post pics?
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I will need to smoke it to tell the difference. I will pm you my addy. No I have seen plenty centurian and have never seen one ceder wraped. I have also seen master selects that were not wrapped in any ceader. But I would gamble on the MS. If one is smaller it would be the MS since all cent. are 6x60 and the MS has three different perfecto sizes
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    can we see a pic?:p
    jship079:
    I will need to smoke it to tell the difference. I will pm you my addy. No I have seen plenty centurian and have never seen one ceder wraped. I have also seen master selects that were not wrapped in any ceader. But I would gamble on the MS. If one is smaller it would be the MS since all cent. are 6x60 and the MS has three different perfecto sizes
    Actually, if you look around, the Centurian is available in two vitolas. The perfecto, which I love. And the sultan, which is more like a toro, that I haven't smoked yet because I still can't figure out which one it is. But it's the same size as the Master Select. I'll try to get pics up later.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    wwhwang:
    jship079:
    Actually, if you look around, the Centurian is available in two vitolas. The perfecto, which I love. And the sultan, which is more like a toro, that I haven't smoked yet because I still can't figure out which one it is. But it's the same size as the Master Select. I'll try to get pics up later.
    Learn something new everyday( I just saw the MS el duke has a ceader wrap on my search for the other size centurian)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    stephen_hannibal:
    docbp87:

it is new. the centurian also only is made in the perfecto shape as far as i know. the master select has cedar and is in a few different shapes.
    kuzi16:
    sightunseen:
    stephen_hannibal:
    docbp87:

it is new. the centurian also only is made in the perfecto shape as far as i know. the master select has cedar and is in a few different shapes.
    I actually just found the link! And it's on CCom. One of the older samplers that's still available. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-GHASST21-3
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have never seen that before.
    this is the first time ive seen a centurian in anything but a perfecto.
  • krebsiekrebsie Moderator Posts: 86 admin
    The Master Select is the one with the Cedar Wrap on it, the one without the Cedar is the Centurian.
    krebsie:
    The Master Select is the one with the Cedar Wrap on it, the one without the Cedar is the Centurian.
    Thanks, Jim. It was frustrating not knowing which of my sticks was which.