Home Cigar 101

Plastic cigar wrap

Should I keep the plastic on the cigars after I buy them if I have a humidor?

Comments

• Lots of discussion concerning this issue..If I were you I'd do a thread search and read up on what everyone has posted. Great info in this place, just have to find it.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    It's actually not plastic - it's cellophane. It allows humidity to "breathe" with the cigar, so it doesn't hurt them. And it all boils down to personal preference. Either you want your cigars to be protected, or you don't.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I use to be a cello off guy, but after several years of seeing well aged gars get chipped and split by my humi digging, I am now firmly in the cello on camp, in fact I even save cello off cigars I smoke to slip on loose cigars that I got unwrapped so they get protected.

And as Tat mentioned cello is not a plastic product it's made from celluloid and is porous, try filling one or more wrappers with water and leave them stood upright for a few hours and see what happens to the water, it will 'leak' out through the cello! And, actually the cello will become very soft and pliable too!

• Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    I do both.

In my coolidor I keep the cello on. The coolidor I use for storage to keep my sticks at a nice humidity and temp in an evironment I can control. The cello wrapper gives them the extra protection against digging in the humi and whatever else might happen and Kuzi told me that it doesn't hurt the aging process all that much. It'll slow down, but when you are trying to age a stick over, lets say, a YEAR, I don't know how much difference it'll really make because -as MrMoke said- cello is breathable.

In my 20 count that I actually smoke out of, I pull the cello off. My guy at the B&M told me that if you like the cedary taste (which I do) then keeping the sticks naked helps absorb the cedar flavors a little faster. He could be full of crap I dunno but it made sense to me. Also, I think most importantly, I simply like the asthetic of naked cigars. I think my humi simply looks nicer and more impressive if I keep the sticks naked.

I did an extensive amount of research (meaning I hit up a bunch of old threads on this forum and PMed Kuzi lol) and came up with the following conclussion: do what you like.

Cello wrappers can't hurt your stick though. Digging around in your humi full of naked sticks definately can cause harm to the cigars.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I take the cigars out, make small slits in the cello, and then re-insert the cigars. Well, that's what I do for humidor A, which is to say, the cigars I'll be smoking over the next few days. For humidor B, I take the cigars out, cut the cello in half, re-insert the cigars backwards, but those I of course intend to keep for a few weeks. For humidor C I actually cut the cigar in half, keep the cello in one piece, glue the cigar band on my ass, and smoke a cigarette intead.

Smiley face....one of those long days people.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Big T smokes:
    In my 20 count that I actually smoke out of, I pull the cello off. My guy at the B&M told me that if you like the cedary taste (which I do) then keeping the sticks naked helps absorb the cedar flavors a little faster. He could be full of crap I dunno but it made sense to me. I did an extensive amount of research (meaning I hit up a bunch of old threads on this forum and PMed Kuzi lol) and came up with the following conclussion: do what you like.
    Lots of good advice. Your guy at the B&M is right, in my opinion. Cigars will absorb more than just humidity. If they sit for year(s) along side other cigars, they can even swap flavor from the oils in the wrapper. Mild conneticut beside dark maduro sticks can pick up on the sweetness of the Maduro wrapper. Some people even fear that after time, all of their sticks will taste the same (not really true). The cedar from your humidor is aromatic, and it will impart a cedar note on your sticks, with or without cellophane, but faster without.
    I have most of my sticks naked. Some special sized sticks will have the cello on until a week or 2 before I am ready to smoke them. This is usually because I will have these sticks for several years before lighting them up. Rocky Patel Limited A size cigars are one example of a stick that I leave the cello on. They are so long that they barely fit into any of my humidors, and they get left alone for long periods of time.
    Try leaving some on, taking some off and see how you feel about it after a few months. Decide for yourself.

• vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    Theedge:
    I take the cigars out, make small slits in the cello, and then re-insert the cigars. Well, that's what I do for humidor A, which is to say, the cigars I'll be smoking over the next few days. For humidor B, I take the cigars out, cut the cello in half, re-insert the cigars backwards, but those I of course intend to keep for a few weeks. For humidor C I actually cut the cigar in half, keep the cello in one piece, glue the cigar band on my ass, and smoke a cigarette intead.

Smiley face....one of those long days people.
    Guess we now know what this brother does with his cigar bands.....LMAO....that was great.