Home Cigar 101

An impatient smoker? Go Mas Gordo!

VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
The point of this post really was to discuss/ask opinions on something ive noticed. That something is..if you tend to be an impatient smoker (by that i mean you cant help but draw every 10 seconds or so) cigars with large ring sizes on average seem to by default taste far better. Now, the obvious reason of course is that larger ring sizes dont burn as hot despite how much you might be puffing on it, compared to a really small ring size which will heat up fast. But, i guess what im asking is...does anyone else here notice that this seems to be the case for them..that you enjoy larger ring sizes more as a matter of flavor (assuming of course you're a fast puffer).

Comments

• jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    All cigars taste worse if they get to hot if you smoke fast you have alot better chance at not noticing it as much with a bigger ring gauge since they burn cooler. Smaller ring gauges will always burn hotter so you have to smoke them MUCH slower. It took me a while to learn how to smoke and enjoy cigars but I would much rather smoke a smaller ring gauge now. I did use to smoke much faster and did feel the way you do now.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I'm a pretty slow smoker, so really big ring gauges tend to go out, or want to go out for me. I like sticks in the 42-50 at range at the most. You have to be able to control your draws consciously to smoke them though. Larger ring gauges are more forgiving, but I still feel like smoking them quickly can result in bitterness.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Buy an ashtray, set the smoke down. Read a book. Pair the stick with a nice drink. Remind yourself that cigars are not cigarettes. You're smoking them to relax, taste, and enjoy the aroma.

That's what I did when I noticed I was smoking too fast. I also smoked less often. It's worked. Now I'm slow as hell.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Yes yes I know the solutions here...I was just curious if anyone enjoyed larger ring sizes as a result, thats all. I can and do slow down to keep the flavor but its still habitual to draw somewhat fast.
  • GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    I've found a smaller ring size is more enjoyable cause I smoke pretty slow. My smoking buddy likes large ring sizes and still power smokes through them. He's a cigarette smoker so I guess it's habit for him but every time he runs into burn issues.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vidarien:
    Yes yes I know the solutions here...I was just curious if anyone enjoyed larger ring sizes as a result, thats all. I can and do slow down to keep the flavor but its still habitual to draw somewhat fast.
    I am with you on this. I love the larger size, 54 - 60, I smoke at an above average pace so the larger sizes are preferable. However, I have recently picked up some lancero sizes, 7 X 38 and such to help slow the pace as I do HATE the bitter taste.
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    I definitely love a thicker ring gauge due to that. However, I am trying to get better at slowing down, but I just want more lol
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    Buy an ashtray, set the smoke down. Read a book. Pair the stick with a nice drink. Remind yourself that cigars are not cigarettes. You're smoking them to relax, taste, and enjoy the aroma.

That's what I did when I noticed I was smoking too fast. I also smoked less often. It's worked. Now I'm slow as hell.
    I've slowed down as of late like my JDN I smoked earlier lasted about 1:30 and I had a Cu-Avana Intenso burn for damn near 2 hours the other day... makes me wonder how long my MOW Double Carona will burn for... of course with me it's situational if I'm playin Magic or over at my friends I tend to smoke slower cause I'm bs'n if I'm alone I tend to fall into cig habit
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vidarien:
    The point of this post really was to discuss/ask opinions on something ive noticed. That something is..if you tend to be an impatient smoker (by that i mean you cant help but draw every 10 seconds or so) cigars with large ring sizes on average seem to by default taste far better. Now, the obvious reason of course is that larger ring sizes dont burn as hot despite how much you might be puffing on it, compared to a really small ring size which will heat up fast. But, i guess what im asking is...does anyone else here notice that this seems to be the case for them..that you enjoy larger ring sizes more as a matter of flavor (assuming of course you're a fast puffer).
    there is actually a scientific reason for this.
    a few people here hit on it.

here is how i explain it
    when a cigar burns too hot it tastes bad. got it.
    when you puff on a cigar, you are only able to draw in as much as your mouth will allow. smaller mouth, less smoke. bigger mouth, more smoke. Imagine the cigar as a straw. if you have a huge straw you can get more air faster but the air pressure at the end of the straw is less. less oxygen goes past a particular point. when you have a smaller ring straw, all the air has to be crammed into a smaller point. All of the oxygen goes through that tiny area. more O2, more fire and heat.

this is actually a huge reason why large ring cigars got so big in the last few years.

im still sticking to my small ring gauges and slow puffing.