Home Cigar 101

humi-gel and distilled water

When you need to recharge those gel jars, which is better distilled water or like a 70/70 solution, or is it the same? thanks

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I've never used any of those Gel jars so I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure once those gel jars are used up, you have to go buy another one.

"Long ashes my friends."

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's just distilled water. The gel beads usually release at a preset rate, if I'm not mistaken.
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Distilled for sure. I have Drymistat tubes and that's all I use.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    stav use only distilled water,those sullutions with the glycerine solutions, tend to hold the oily gel of the glycerine after the water has been evapted out,gets messy in my opinion especially if turned over it oozes out
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Just my .02, but I discovered a bit of a trick here... water or prop glycol at recharging time was determined by whether my RH had been trending high or low. If I wanted to raise the RH a couple points, I would use distilled water to recharge & it would turn the trick. By the same token, if I wanted to lower the RH by a couple points, I would use the prop glycol and it would take it down a couple notches.

Never had any ill effects either way!

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    millennium115:
    When you need to recharge those gel jars, which is better distilled water or like a 70/70 solution, or is it the same? thanks
    depends... xikar gel jars are ONLY to be used with xikar solution. Instructions say the gel is specially formulated for use only with their solution.

Now, whether distilled water actually has any effects on it, who knows? I have the xikar gel humidifier, and only use the xikar solution, and it maintains perfect 67%. so, I continue to use the xikar solution.
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Posts: 406
    millennium115:
    Most gel jars have refill instructions....most just say fill with distilled water every so many months. I also use the Xikar jars....which state to use only the Xikar PG Solution. Since most of the non Xikar gel jars have the beads already treated with PG...and hense only are filled with distilled water. Hope this info helps.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Does the gel in this jars eventually get used up?

"Long ashes my friends."

• jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I think they recommend you change them every year. I had some over a year that still worked well. Before I switched to the great and awsome beads
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Beads are so inexpensive that I don't know why anyone would use anything else!
  • coronaex30coronaex30 Posts: 35
    yeah it says to get a new one after a year. I've been using the jar for about three months now! SEems to be working fine no crazy changes or anything! Sure beats the OEM humidifiers. Never tried the beads?
  • yeah, ive been using those jars...not bad. once the gel gets under a certain line, you fill them up with distilled or solution. i have a humicare rectangular humidifier coming in that is made with gel not sponge. i will try it out. they say it can humidify up to 100 gars... i will try and let you guys now.. thanks for the input
    millennium115:
    yeah, ive been using those jars...not bad. once the gel gets under a certain line, you fill them up with distilled or solution. i have a humicare rectangular humidifier coming in that is made with gel not sponge. i will try it out. they say it can humidify up to 100 gars... i will try and let you guys now.. thanks for the input
    DO NOT PUT that thing in distilled water for 4hrs like they tell you or you will be sorry after about 15min. just put a shot glass of distilled on it
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    I have a humicare rectangular humidifier and a humicare gel jar in a 200 stick humidor. the gel was charged when i got them so i just put them in. I use the rectangle for humidification and the gel keeps the level right. since i started this my humi stays between 69 to 72%. been that way for a month and i havent had one burn issue.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    How long will the beads last?
    I have heard of people having them over five years. I have had mine for two and there like brand new. I am pretty sure that they will almost last forever as long as they dont break down to much. Thats if you are talking about the heartfelt type beads the gel beads I don't think will make it past two years.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Hawk55:
    How long will the beads last?

Forever! As long as there's no crushing / cracking. If they don't get super wet and start to break apart they just keep going.