Home Cigar 101

Pinar P2000?

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Found it on the sister sites (please don't hurt me, CCom. I loves you). Can anyone tell me if it's just a gag put out by Pinar or is it really 100% pre-embargo Cuban tobacco as advertised? Better question: Is it any good?

Comments

• bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Found it on the sister sites (please don't hurt me, CCom. I loves you). Can anyone tell me if it's just a gag put out by Pinar or is it really 100% pre-embargo Cuban tobacco as advertised? Better question: Is it any good?
    Wayne, PM me your address and you can find out for yourself.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    from what i can tell they have an Ecuadorian wrapper.

most agree they taste like poop.

i read a review that said it tasted like burning crayons.

iduno. i have never had one. for the price they go for you can get a real ISOM that has good reviews.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    I'm glad someone asked this I've been quazi wanting these when they are on the jam... just been hesitant...
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    from what i can tell they have an Ecuadorian wrapper.

most agree they taste like poop.

i read a review that said it tasted like burning crayons.

iduno. i have never had one. for the price they go for you can get a real ISOM that has good reviews.
    I actually found that review lol. But at the same time, the guy reviewing did say that he regularly inhales while smoking cigars.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Wayne you gots mail....
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I fell for the trap and picked up a 5er a while ago. Smoked one right away and gave 2 or 3 away shortly after. Tough to tell if it's really 100% pre-embargo because my experience with actual pre-embargo (besides the camacho PE, which doesn't really count for these purposes) is null. Honestly, I'd say save your money and when you get enough saved, Corona Cigar down in Orlando, FL has some actual pre-embargo cigars from name brands for some pretty steep prices.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Like Rob said, there are actual Pre-Embargo CCs out there that are fairly easy to obtain. Prices are steep on some of them, obviously, but they are the real deal. Everything I've ever heard about the Pinar P2000 has been negative.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I just dont see how a 100% pre-embargo cigar could be good. Cuban tobbacco is the best for aging and 25 years would probly be prime that tobbacco is what like 50 or 60 years old. Even if well kept it would be way past its prime. Remember tobbacco will last forver if well kept but that does not mean that it keeps getting better all tobbacco has its prime.
  • long_asheslong_ashes Posts: 166
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was trying to find anything online about these as one of the fans of our website donated a bunch of these too us. They are too pricey to review on the site though so we just plan on smoking them whenever. Ash Tray lit one up last night and didn't like it at all, I just started smoking one this morning and it's not nearly as bad as some of the comments (crayon and ass) lol.

I guess we'll find out once I'm done, maybe the turds don't begin until midway through the stick. I'll keep everyone posted on this. I did find that this is only about 20% pre-embargo cuban and the rest is Ecuadorian and Nicaraguan.
  • long_asheslong_ashes Posts: 166
    Finishing up the P2000. I gotta say. I actually like it. It's definitely not worth the price tag but if it was in the cheap cigar range I would pick some up. It starts out very mellow with a hint of spice and more prominent notes of cedar and cream. When you hit the middle of the cigar it becomes very spicy and the cedar and cream are even more prominent. Big notes of black pepper toward the end.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Just had my first P2000 the a couple days ago. Would probably give it a 6.5 or 7. Not a life changer, but I wouldnt give this one the "Obsidian Award" either. Burned well, decent flavor, and every once in a while throughout the stick I would get a hint of the same "WOW!" flavor that I get when I smoke Camacho PE's.

Dont misunderstand me - the P2000 is not even in the same zip code of the Camacho PE, which I feel is a stellar smoke. But I dont think the P2000 is a dog rocket or a flaming crayon either. Good middle of the road stick when you want to try something different, which can be picked up for a song if you pay attention.

• Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    The Sniper:
    Just had my first P2000 the a couple days ago. Would probably give it a 6.5 or 7. Not a life changer, but I wouldnt give this one the "Obsidian Award" either. Burned well, decent flavor, and every once in a while throughout the stick I would get a hint of the same "WOW!" flavor that I get when I smoke Camacho PE's.

Dont misunderstand me - the P2000 is not even in the same zip code of the Camacho PE, which I feel is a stellar smoke. But I dont think the P2000 is a dog rocket or a flaming crayon either. Good middle of the road stick when you want to try something different, which can be picked up for a song if you pay attention.

+1. Sniper sums up my thoughts well. I was gifted one a couple months ago. Good, but nothing spectacular. Nothing like a Cuban and not as smooth as a Camacho PE, but its OK. Whether its made of "real pre-embargo" tobacco, or how much of it, whose to say.
    The first few I had tasted like mud and wax. After almost a year of rest I fired one up and it was a completely different smoke.
    I agree with the sniper every once in awhile you'll get that "hmm this has potential" feeling.

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    stephen_hannibal:
    The first few I had tasted like mud and wax. After almost a year of rest I fired one up and it was a completely different smoke.
    I agree with the sniper every once in awhile you'll get that "hmm this has potential" feeling.

Wonder if that would come out even more if someone were to keep aging them? Then again, for a stick that purports to be actual pre-embargo Cuban tobacco, I wouldnt think a guy should HAVE to age it for 3 or 4 years after buying it...

• PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    CCOMs description says all cuban filler, and they dont lie to us. Call up your rep and find out how good a deal you can get
    The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:

Wonder if that would come out even more if someone were to keep aging them? Then again, for a stick that purports to be actual pre-embargo Cuban tobacco, I wouldnt think a guy should HAVE to age it for 3 or 4 years after buying it...

Agreed its not so bad with a year on it so I'm going to let it rest for a few more. Hopefully some of that potential starts to shine.