Home Cigar 101

Turning an old dresser into a humidor

JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
I was talking with Joeyjoe last night about turning a old dresser I have into a humidor. Its about 4ft tall and 3ft wide. Has 4 draws about 10 inches tall each. Its also missing the bottom but I have a feeling that can be rebuilt. Anyone have any recommendations or advice? When I can I will post pictures.
"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky

Comments

• interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    I think you will have plenty of work getting it to seal up. It was built originally without the intention for an airtight seal, and the work you will have to put into it, will almost constitute building a brand new one from scratch.

I'm sure it can be done though, just beware if you are hoping for it to be easy.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Ok I dont expect it to be easy. Just need to make the drawers airtight and line the inside with spanish cedar veneer. The way Joey was sayin stuff he was making it sound easy peasy lol. I think he may actually have a better idea then I do. I just want to make something that I can use for a ton of gars.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    thats it...once i get money, I will go buy a old ass dresser from a garage sale for 20 bucks, then ill buy some wood and build what I was talking about and u will drool in envy! lol
    LOL ok then! I just need a visual guide to follow. I have a feeling turning this dresser into a humi would take some time. I think the back is cardboard and the sides are partical board. Thats why its so light =(.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    ill take plenty of pics for you to follow along...maybe that will be my project in sept....and its a 1 day project....ill go garage selling on saturday and try and find a dresser
    haha sounds good bro.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Sounds difficult to do with drawers like that. You'd have to really do a lot of work to make them seal properly. I think it would be a lot easier to rework something with doors that open up (like if it were built to hold coats) since you wouldn't need to deal with draws.

I'd love to do something like this as well, but I have this feeling I'm just going to go the lazy route and just buy a cabinet someday.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I would say this is a question for cabbi but from my limited wood working experience I would say don't even try.
    Ok with those recommends would it be cheaper to build from scratch or just buy one.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    JSaint:
    Ok with those recommends would it be cheaper to build from scratch or just buy one.
    In the long run, build from scratch or buy one over trying to adapt something made of particleboard into a humidor. They are your cigars, do it right.
    cabinetmaker:
    JSaint:
    In the long run, build from scratch or buy one over trying to adapt something made of particleboard into a humidor. They are your cigars, do it right.
    How much do you think the materials and components for building one from scratch would run Cabi?