Home Non Cigar Related

Venison Recipe

I know there are a few deer hunters here and I was wondering if I could pick there brains? I still have alot of venison from last Novembers hunt and need to start clearing room for this years (I know I havent gotten one yet but positive thinking). I have chops and steaks for the most part and have mostly been grilling them. Nothing fancy just marinade and grill. Does anyone have any interesting recipes for venison that I could try out? Perhaps something for my smoker.

Comments

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I don't have a recipe (wish I did), but one of my students gave me some home made summer sausage that was venison with jalepenos and cheddar. Damn was that good stuff.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I like to cut the steaks into smaller peices and marinate them in coke cola (tenderizes them) for a few hours. then bread them with flour, salt, pepper and cavenders seasoning and fry in a little oil on the stove. goes great with fried potatoes. on luck on the smoker though.
    One God, One Truth
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    When I need to make room I just turn it to jerky
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    I like to cut the steaks into smaller peices and marinate them in coke cola (tenderizes them) for a few hours. then bread them with flour, salt, pepper and cavenders seasoning and fry in a little oil on the stove. goes great with fried potatoes. on luck on the smoker though.
    Coca Cola is amazing for a marinating base. If you want a good smokey/sweet BBQ flavor the simple solution is: 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (pick something kind of traditional BBQ tasting), 1 cup of coca cola and 1 cup of bourbon or sour mash. Mix that up, trim up your meat, tenderize it (with a fork or a good tenderizer), and throw everything into a ziplock bag overnight.

Heat up the grill first and throw the tips onto the hot grill for about 2 min on each side to get a good sear and lock in the moisture. Then, turn down the grill to low and put the tips on the top rack of the grill if you have one (or just open the grill for a few minutes to let it cool while moving the tips to a cooler part). Once slightly seared on the outside, slow cook those suckers to your desired done-ness inside and you'll have some mean tips.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    that sounds good. Ill have to try that. thanks
    One God, One Truth
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I like mine marinaded in soy, worstershire and a bit of bbq sauce with cracked pepper and basil and garlic powder to taste for 8-12 hours. When ready to cook, wrap with bacon a cook slowly off the heat until done. Don't ask for times or temps, just keep the lid on your grill closed and check them every now and then.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    cabinetmaker:
    I like mine marinaded in soy, worstershire and a bit of bbq sauce with cracked pepper and basil and garlic powder to taste for 8-12 hours. When ready to cook, wrap with bacon a cook slowly off the heat until done. Don't ask for times or temps, just keep the lid on your grill closed and check them every now and then.
    This sounds good. Everything is better when you wrap it in bacon. I made a real good elk loin a while ago with bacon. Take the loin cut it into thin layers use your favorite dry rub put a layer of bacon on and roll it tie it and put it in the smoker for about 4 hours. I got the recipe from cabelas and it was great.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    If you ever have a venison roast, take two-three cans of Coca-Cola, a packet of Liptons French Onion soup, and place all ingredients in a crock pot on low for the day. You will not be disappointed.