Home Cigar 101

Goober questions

The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
Got a couple questions for the elders here fellas...

First, how long do you suggest dry-boxing a cigar before you fire it up?

Second and more embarassing, is in regards to smokes with a shaggy foot... does one A) light these as normal, B) use a cutter to get rid of the shaggy foot, C) use some secret lighting technique nobody speaks of (first rule of lighting shaggy foot - YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT LIGHTING SHAGGY FOOT! LOL), or D) use some combination of A, B, and C?

Thanks for educating me... again.... :-D

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I think I remember this from the multiple articles and videos about the Gurkha Vintage Shaggy. They say light it up as normal. The shaggy foot of the cigar is so that it's easier to light and to evenly distribute the burn across the entire cigar. At least that's what they say. As for dry boxing, I've heard it was for an hour or two. I usually did two hours back in Texas, because I had some burn issues with a lot of maduros there.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I agree on just lighting up the Shag but I drybox for a day. Thats what Ive been told to do Idk! lol
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Think of the shaggy foot as merely cosmetic, as it really serves no purpose...you can do what you like with it, though personally I just toast the foot like normal and light up. I don't dry box cigars, so I don't have any input on that, although anywhere from 2-6 hours sounds like it would be ok to me, the cigar isn't going to petrify and should lose a bit of moisture.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Think of the shaggy foot as merely cosmetic, as it really serves no purpose...you can do what you like with it, though personally I just toast the foot like normal and light up. I don't dry box cigars, so I don't have any input on that, although anywhere from 2-6 hours sounds like it would be ok to me, the cigar isn't going to petrify and should lose a bit of moisture.
    Joe and I attended the same Cigar U. Shaggy gets the same treatment as all the others And Dry box, never did it since my cigars always stay 70/70, +- 1 Hey joe get the helll to posting you have two days, 50 posts and a PSD4 !
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    First, how long do you suggest dry-boxing a cigar before you fire it up?
    i dont suggest it at all.
    just keep your humidor at 65%-68% rH.

The Sniper:
    Second and more embarassing, is in regards to smokes with a shaggy foot... does one A) light these as normal, B) use a cutter to get rid of the shaggy foot, C) use some secret lighting technique nobody speaks of (first rule of lighting shaggy foot - YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT LIGHTING SHAGGY FOOT! LOL), or D) use some combination of A, B, and C?
    A

• jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Dry boxing is like most other things it depends on the cigar and person. I dont find much need for it since like kuzi my RH is between 65 and 68 but more 65. Dry boxing is only really for the most oily smokes or something a little moister than you would like. As far as shaggys lite and smoke
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I have also read where the intention is for the smoker to get a taste of the filllers without the influence of the wrapper leaf.

As for dry boxing... I have done it and do it still when needed. If a stick is too moist due to living on an island and it being VERY humid most of the time. I try to keep my humis down to between 65 and 68 RH. This is something which has been a lot easier to do with pounds of beads but...

I still sometimes take out a couple of sticks in the morning and place the one or two that I am not smoking right away into the dry box for smoking later. That also helps me with my "thing" about not being in and out of my humi's several times a day. If where I lived the Humidity were more stable, I would see no use for them however.
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    Joe and I attended the same Cigar U. Shaggy gets the same treatment as all the others And Dry box, never did it since my cigars always stay 70/70, +- 1 Hey joe get the helll to posting you have two days, 50 posts and a PSD4 !
    lol. I'm working on it Kas, don't think I'm gonna make two days though. My posting seems to have fallen off a bit since I'm doing everything from my phone for the time being. I'll get there, if maybe a little slower. ;)
    laker1963:
    I have also read where the intention is for the smoker to get a taste of the filllers without the influence of the wrapper leaf.
    What about the cigars where the shaggy foot is all wrapper, like Kristoff?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    laker1963:
    I think that is obvious then 'taint it ? To taste only the wrapper leaf without the filler. LMAO. You have that LFD Double Ligero Chisel Tip ready to fire up on a Tuesday night right...? :)

Sh it, I think I said Tuesday didn't I ? Have to go check...
    laker1963:
    j0z3r:
    laker1963:
    I think that is obvious then 'taint it ? To taste only the wrapper leaf without the filler. LMAO. You have that LFD Double Ligero Chisel Tip ready to fire up on a Tuesday night right...? :)

Sh it, I think I said Tuesday didn't I ? Have to go check...
    Wink [;)]
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    2nd rule of the Shaggy foot...YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT LIGHTING SHAGGY FOOT!

"Long ashes my friends."

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    LOL Thanks Krieg - wasnt sure anyone was going to get the reference...

• GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    The only stick I've ever dryboxed is a 5 Vegas Relic, but I live in a desert so over humidifying isn't an issue for me, having a really oily stick, however, is an issue regardless of where I am. I usually aim for a day of dry-boxing, or overnight. whatever works! I have dryboxed a couple Relics for two days before and they were quite fantastic.

As for the shaggy, I had the same issue a while back because I came upon a Gurhka Vintage Shaggy. I was told:

"When it comes to lighting a shaggy there are a few tricks you need to complete to get it proper, on the second wednesday of every month, set your alarm for 2:13am, when it goes off and wakes you up there will be a man outside your bedroom window. His name is Hank. Give Hank a handful of raisins and he'll take you to the 'Shaggy Lair'. Bring plenty of water because it's a bit of a walk. When you arrive there are a dozen or so puzzle based traps you and Hank will have to work together in order to disarm but don't worry, Hank has been through them plenty of times before so just listen to his advice. After the traps you'll arrive upon the 'Shaggy Pedastal'. On the pedastal there is a lighter exactly the same model and brand and amount of fluid as yours, so quickly, without releasing the pressure sensative trap under the torch, swap your lighter with the one provided. With you new 'Shaggy-lighting approved lighter', You simply light the foot normally."

Hope that helps, Sniper.
  • CanadianCanadian Posts: 54
    I can't believe I was giving Hank Craisans, I hate when someone texts me info and gets it wrong. No wonder he wouldn't help me with the traps.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    LOL Thanks Krieg - wasnt sure anyone was going to get the reference...

Damnit now I have to go watch Fight Club lol
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    A goober is a peanut.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Krieg:
    2nd rule of the Shaggy foot...YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT LIGHTING SHAGGY FOOT!

Shouldnt this be option A?