Home Ratings & Reviews

Padilla Habano

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
I guess this is part review and part question. I smoked my only Padilla Habano today and I was talking to Stephen Hannibal about it. However, he brought it to my attention that there's two blends. AJ Fernandez and Oliva, since there was a thread earlier this year that Oliva got the contract for it. Since there's no change in the bands, vitola names, or anything else, how do I know which blend I got? Here's a review just in case. You guys can give me some input as to which blend you think it is or if I'm just insane.

Padilla Habano
Vitola: Toro (6x50)
Filler: Nicaraguan
Wrapper: Habano
Paired drink: Bottled water

Pre-light and Construction:
It looked like a very nicely constructed cigar with a slightly oily wrapper. Taking a whiff of the cigar, I got a barnyard smell mixed with some spices that slightly tingled the nose. Using my cigar.com double guillotine cutter, I aimed for the tip of the cap, just so I could open it up. For some reason, though, bits of the wrapper ripped and came flying off with the cap. I don't know how it happened (maybe not sharp enough?), but even with small bits of it torn, it didn't unravel.

Draw and Burn:
The draw was very easy (almost loose). And there was tons of white smoke, which I love. However, this cigar had quite a few burn problems. The burn line was razor sharp to begin with, but after two inches, the burn went wavy and started canoeing at the second third. After two touch-ups, it was razor sharp again. There was also a slight tunneling problem during the final third, but not so major as to interfere with the enjoyment of the cigar.

Flavors:
1st third: Upon lighting, I received a huge blast of spices and pepper, which reminded me of Pepin Garcia. I was taken aback a little, but I quickly came to enjoy it. The spices were very strong in this portion, and I could have sworn that there was a bit of cocoa near the end of the first third.

2nd third: Here's where I thought I was going insane. The spices took a back seat on this portion, going from spice/pepper bomb to gentle, soothing spice on the draw. However, on the finish, I tasted...creamy Idaho mashed potatoes?! I drank my water and took a short break just to make sure I wasn't mistaken. However, continuing the smoke, there was gentle spices and maybe a hint of leather coming in on the draw, but a very long finish with the creamy mashed potatoes that I used to make back in college, when I was living in my own apartment.

Final third: The mashed potatoes are less pronounced here as spice and pepper slowly creep up and steal the spotlight away from the potatoes on the finish. The more I smoke, the more pepper and spice linger on my lips and the back of the tongue.

Impression: This is the most interesting cigar I've had so far. I can honestly say that I've never expected to get Idaho mashed potatoes in a cigar. If I had the money and the burn problems were fixed, I'd get at least half a box of these.

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of people referring to "meat and potatoes" types of cigars, but I don't think this is what any of them ever meant. Interesting review. I've only had the Habano Burberry and it is quite a nice smoke, though very mellow with almost no spice.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I've heard of people referring to "meat and potatoes" types of cigars, but I don't think this is what any of them ever meant. Interesting review. I've only had the Habano Burberry and it is quite a nice smoke, though very mellow with almost no spice.
    Strangely enough, I wasn't expecting the potato flavor. I know what people refer to when they say it's a "meat and potatoes" cigar, but yeah...I checked some reviews after smoking it to see if I was just going insane, but two out of three guys on WBFiller said they tasted potatoes too, on the Habano. I'm still curious as to whether this is the AJ blend or the Oliva blend.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    LOL!
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Posts: 406
    I just got a 10 pack of these sticks..had one the other night...this was my 3rd Padilla...i had a good experience.....i had an even burn all the way through with good tasty creamy smoke. Now i want to try the Miami and '68 series.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'd guess you had the new Oliva one because I've had several of the older AJ ones and there was no blast of pepper or spice at any point. Everything about the AJ habano is subtle and smooth with a slight sweetness to it, as I recall.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I think I sent you a Padilla Habano in a PIF. If this was the one that I sent you, I apologize for the burn issues because I've had a ton of these and have never had a problem. Just my luck to gift the only bad one. I love this stick. I'm not one of those guys that can pick flavors. I can just say that I love it, like it, or dislike it. In this case, I love the cigar. It is one of the few that I will buy a box of because I can't get board with it.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    You can e-mail the Beard and he will be able to tell you which of the two blenders made your Habano.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    undulac:
    I think I sent you a Padilla Habano in a PIF. If this was the one that I sent you, I apologize for the burn issues because I've had a ton of these and have never had a problem. Just my luck to gift the only bad one. I love this stick. I'm not one of those guys that can pick flavors. I can just say that I love it, like it, or dislike it. In this case, I love the cigar. It is one of the few that I will buy a box of because I can't get board with it.
    Haha. No need to apologize, undulac. It might've been the way I was storing it. I'd definitely get more of these. This is the only cigar I've ever had that had mashed potatoes in the flavor lol. Very interesting. Not sure if I'm just going insane, but some of the other guys at WBFiller say they taste potatoes too.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    wwhwang:
    undulac:
    Haha. No need to apologize, undulac. It might've been the way I was storing it. I'd definitely get more of these. This is the only cigar I've ever had that had mashed potatoes in the flavor lol. Very interesting. Not sure if I'm just going insane, but some of the other guys at WBFiller say they taste potatoes too.
    Has anyone been able to answer which blender makes the mashed potato cigar?
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Not to Knock your review or anyone review but I think people are getting a bit crazy with the flavor profile discreptions hay, grass, must, pototos WTF just my opinion. I am much like the blenders of past sweet, spicey,sour,bitter,salty you know the ones that were always used until people started finding out what leather tasted like. BUT I WILL SAY GREAT REVIEW WWHWANG VERY DETAILED the flavor profile thing is just my opinion.
    jship079:
    Not to Knock your review or anyone review but I think people are getting a bit crazy with the flavor profile discreptions hay, grass, must, pototos WTF just my opinion. I am much like the blenders of past sweet, spicey,sour,bitter,salty you know the ones that were always used until people started finding out what leather tasted like. BUT I WILL SAY GREAT REVIEW WWHWANG VERY DETAILED the flavor profile thing is just my opinion.
    Hay, Grass, and Must are all flavors regularly described and profiled in cigar reviews everywhere... from CA to the lowliest review blogs...
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I actually agree about the potato flavor... I have often gotten baked potato... And remember - this doesn't mean that the cigar really tasted like potatoes - it just means it evoked that memory in Wayne's mind! We are complex machines that remember flavors and smells very well and our mind constantly tries to makes sense of the new and/or different, etc... So it associates a particular flavor in the tobacco profile with potatoes... so what? I don't see a problem.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    This is kinda my point, I am saying this has the potential to get crazy. Like I said this is not knocking any ones reviews, palets or saying my palet is not developed. My point is that MY PERSONAL OPINION and from what I have read ALOT of the old blenders opinion. I just don't understand all of these complex discreptions that associate one thing to another or making conections in time past or using a word like leather as a discripter of something that resembles something eles. All I am saying is stick to the basics; it was good enough for the the men of old and was a hell of alot easier to understand for those who are looking for something they like.
    jship079:
    This is kinda my point, I am saying this has the potential to get crazy. Like I said this is not knocking any ones reviews, palets or saying my palet is not developed. My point is that MY PERSONAL OPINION and from what I have read ALOT of the old blenders opinion. I just don't understand all of these complex discreptions that associate one thing to another or making conections in time past or using a word like leather as a discripter of something that resembles something eles. All I am saying is stick to the basics; it was good enough for the the men of old and was a hell of alot easier to understand for those who are looking for something they like.
    I guess I totally disagree. To me it seems like more detailed descriptions of flavors would make it easier to find something you like, not broad vague ones. I don't like everything that is sweet, but I love dark chocolate, for example.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    jship079:
    I guess I totally disagree. To me it seems like more detailed descriptions of flavors would make it easier to find something you like, not broad vague ones. I don't like everything that is sweet, but I love dark chocolate, for example.
    Agreed doc. To me, the whole point of a cigar review is how a particular cigar was experienced by a particular person, and some people pick up on certain notes that others don't. I like that aspect because it gives something to look for the next time I smoke that cigar.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    docbp87:
    jship079:
    Agreed doc. To me, the whole point of a cigar review is how a particular cigar was experienced by a particular person, and some people pick up on certain notes that others don't. I like that aspect because it gives something to look for the next time I smoke that cigar.
    Agree with you guys. I, when reading online reviews, first try to find out whether the person reviewing has similar tastes to mine or not (you read several reviews from that person and you will get the commonalities). Thus, if that person describes something in a particular way - I am more interested to try it and trust that will have a similar experience... Like from what I have read - I know Ross Davey's reviews would most align to my experiences with the cigars he has reviewed. Therefore - I am more interested in the complexities of his experience. Did he taste potatoes, raisins, vinegar? Anyway... Everybody has a point really since taste and all is so subjective. One thing IS true - tobacco is tobacco and tastes like tobacco. Sometimes it is bitter, sometimes sweet, etc. However, it does sometimes trick our minds with its complexity and make us discover a plethora of other flavors in. And THAT's where I think master blending comes in! A cigar doesn't simply taste sweet - it tastes like honey or cookies. Or it is not simply spicey, but meaty and reminds you of a steak (I am looking at you DPG Cuban Classic! ;))... In any case.. yeah - let's smoke! lol

p.s. I have tasted actual leather ;)... I just wanted to make sure what I taste in a cigar relates... and honestly - it really does...