Home Cigar 101

Problem with humidor

I think I am having a problem with my humidor. I am gone most of the day and when I can check it its either at 74% or 75% humidity. I don't really have a set place that I keep it so I just move it when the temperature seems low. I have the cigar.com humidor with a humicare hydrometer and humidifier. inside my humidor I have 5 cigars. The wrapper cracked on my brickhouse. Plus, The end of my la auroras has developed white spots. What should I do? What am I doing wrong? What would be a better storage place? Thanks for all your help!!

Comments

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    u have to much humidity in there it sounds like....remove ur humidifier for a day and see if it can hold at 70%...thats what i did with my little one....try keeping it in a cooler place.
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Posts: 406
    I second that....your humidity is too high...which can cause white spots and mold when your cigars are contantly under high humidity for long periods of time. For now you can wipe off the white powder substance and drop your humidity. Try using a Cigar.Com gel jar or beads. Use PG solution if you still want to continue using your foam humidifier. Hope you get your humidity down to a safe level.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    kingjake720:
    I think I am having a problem with my humidor. I am gone most of the day and when I can check it its either at 74% or 75% humidity. I don't really have a set place that I keep it so I just move it when the temperature seems low. I have the cigar.com humidor with a humicare hydrometer and humidifier. inside my humidor I have 5 cigars. The wrapper cracked on my brickhouse. Plus, The end of my la auroras has developed white spots. What should I do? What am I doing wrong? What would be a better storage place? Thanks for all your help!!
    first thing, is the cigar.com humi you have is it the 20 count stick? if it is the humicare humidiifier they sell in a combo, its to big for your humi. the blue rectangle is made for about 125 sticks. even if you feel the 20 count humi full of sticks it is still gonna maintain a high RH level. second thing did you calibrate the hydrometer right ? if you did and you do have the 20 stick humi buy the humi care beads. when you get them pull the humidor puck your humi came with apart. throw away the foam. fill the puck with some of the beads and snap it shut. that puck filled with beads will keep your RH levels around 70%. i had high levels in my first 20 count humi till i used this advise. and a humidor with more sticks in it is key to good RH levels too.
  • sumixamsumixam Posts: 23
    vegassparky:
    if you did and you do have the 20 stick humi buy the humi care beads. when you get them pull the humidor puck your humi came with apart. throw away the foam. fill the puck with some of the beads and snap it shut. that puck filled with beads will keep your RH levels around 70%. i had high levels in my first 20 count humi till i used this advise. and a humidor with more sticks in it is key to good RH levels too.
    Wow, good call about reusing the puck.... how long do the beads last? And where should I buy them from, I've seen heartfelt beads, and some other beads mentioned... I wreckon I should just pony up for the beads instead of messing around.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL

Here is what you want right here. Cheaper then Heartfelt, and come with mesh bag(s) to store the beads in. They are Museum quality so you don't have to worry about them, they work awesome.
  • sumixamsumixam Posts: 23
    laker1963:
    http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL

Here is what you want right here. Cheaper then Heartfelt, and come with mesh bag(s) to store the beads in. They are Museum quality so you don't have to worry about them, they work awesome.
    tyvm, just ordered them!