Home Ratings & Reviews

Graycliff Double Espresso

denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
Tony (sightunseen) gifted me a Double Espresso. Here's my mini review
Pre-light aroma was hearty, the wrapper was very natural in appearance. Veiny and slightly wrinkled, which you don't see on a lot of cigars. I think sometimes people focus more on looks than flavor and this is a great example. It didn't look super pretty but damn, well, you'll see.
Pre-light aroma was very smooth in the nose. I picked up a smell that most Habano wrappers have, similar to the smell of a Tat Red or Black
The light up gave a perfect draw and great flavor. The bitter chocolate and coffee bean flavors really erupted at this point and stayed strong through the whole experience. The body was very full from the light up and thru the finish. There was no build of strength, it was strong out of the gate and stayed that way. Much like a Diesel or LHCOF.
The burn got a little hot in the final third, even when I really paced myself and made an effort to let it cool. I think that I see this more with a robusto than any other stick, maybe it's just me.
The stick was one dimensional but I actually like that for the most part. I'm not in to a stick that has a taste of raisins or black licorice for 3 puffs and then changes. I want a good solid experience and this was it.
I think that this stick, as well as the G2 Turbo are my favorite Graycliffs so far. I have smoked the 1666, the Turbo, and the Double Espresso and I would rank this right next to the Turbo in strength. They say this is the strongest stick they make but I think the Turbo is stronger, even though it starts out milder.

I really liked this stick and I thank Tony for kickin down some love in order to keep my pimp hand strong. Keep it real Tony!

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Love this stick. Reviewed it a few weeks ago. Having a hard time not smoking the rest of mine.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Nice review. It really is a potent little stick. Glad you enjoyed it. I'll be keeping it real up here.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    I had one of these thanks to Alex. Fourtotheflush recently got one, and asked my opinion. My answer, and I quote:
    "tasted like a dog rocket rolled in espresso.". HAHA. Seriously, I know a lot of guys like em, and I think maybe I got one a little too fresh. Mine had a bitter ammonia taste throughout that made it unenjoyable.
  • thehoffthehoff Posts: 76
    I had the ammonia taste with some of the Graycliff blue lables (professional i think). Terrible, terrible cigar.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I've had one of these so far and I thought it was great! The flavors described in Dennis's review above were pretty accurate IMO. I hear they get much better with time so I'm sitting on the others I have...
  • Good review. This stick is one of my favorites when I'm in the mood for something strong. I haven't tried the Turbo yet, but if you say it's stronger than this one then I'm gonna have to pick that one up!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    thehoff:
    I had the ammonia taste with some of the Graycliff blue lables (professional i think). Terrible, terrible cigar.
    not terrible, just in need of age. A little patience goes a long way with cigars I think.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    j0z3r:
    thehoff:
    not terrible, just in need of age. A little patience goes a long way with cigars I think.
    +1
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Duder2:
    j0z3r:
    thehoff:
    +1
    Any blue labels, DEs, or really any of the Graycliff Bahama made blends you don't want just shoot me a pm. I'll be more than willing to trade and take them off your hands.

Nice review of the DE. I had one a few days ago in the morning. It's fuller than I usually like for a morning smoke, but it's so smooth that I enjoyed the hell out of it. My only complaint is that it only comes in one size.
    Russ55:
    Duder2:
    j0z3r:
    thehoff:
    +1
    Any blue labels, DEs, or really any of the Graycliff Bahama made blends you don't want just shoot me a pm. I'll be more than willing to trade and take them off your hands.

Nice review of the DE. I had one a few days ago in the morning. It's fuller than I usually like for a morning smoke, but it's so smooth that I enjoyed the hell out of it. My only complaint is that it only comes in one size.
    Hey Russ, does the DE tend to burn hot for you in the second half? I keep having that problem, and although I'm not smoking them particularly fast, maybe I need to slow it down more. I agree on the one size kind of, I do like the current size, but I'd like to see it in a toro viola, for some reason I think it would be better, maybe a 6x52-54 toro to add some length but keep the fat ring gauge.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    Duder2:
    j0z3r:
    thehoff:
    +1

Hey Russ, does the DE tend to burn hot for you in the second half? I keep having that problem, and although I'm not smoking them particularly fast, maybe I need to slow it down more. I agree on the one size kind of, I do like the current size, but I'd like to see it in a toro viola, for some reason I think it would be better, maybe a 6x52-54 toro to add some length but keep the fat ring gauge.
    That's about the same size I was thinking too. I do like the current size a lot though. It would just be nice to have some variation. I did have one that burned a little hot, but I neglected it, re lit and had to puff a lot. Then it went south on me. Now I smoke these alone. No kid/wife allowed within 5 miles of a lit DE. Other than that one I haven't noticed them burning hot, but I do go super slow with them, probably because of the size. I'll pay more attention the next time and see if I notice anything.
  • thehoffthehoff Posts: 76
    j0z3r:
    thehoff:
    After the first 2 or 3 I let the rest age for about 6 months. Lit up my last one a while ago (7-8 months aging) and still hated it. I have two red labels that I obtained as a gift in my humi. I'm very hesitant to light them up after the blues but don't really want to put any effort into them. The price just turns me off the brand for the way they taste.
    thehoff:
    j0z3r:
    thehoff:
    After the first 2 or 3 I let the rest age for about 6 months. Lit up my last one a while ago (7-8 months aging) and still hated it. I have two red labels that I obtained as a gift in my humi. I'm very hesitant to light them up after the blues but don't really want to put any effort into them. The price just turns me off the brand for the way they taste.
    In that case, I guess it's just a case of you not agreeing with the cigar, I can't fault you for that. I will say, however, that I've never gotten any ammonia taste from the blue label. As far as the Red goes, completely different cigar and, in my opinion, much better than the Blue...if you like an earthy profile, I'd say the Red may surprise you, so don't write it off before you try it.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    joe, i also had my stick get hot in the second half. i was going slow and i never have a stick get hot unless there is a construction issue.
    I've had several get hot on me Dennis, while others have stayed cool until the last inch or so, maybe it is just a hit or miss thing. At least I can figure it is the cigar and not me.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    This is my favorite cigar. I normally don't smoke in the morning, but when I do, it's a cup of hot coffee from the Keurig and one of these puppies....heaven.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    joe, I took apart a stick that got hot on me once so i cut it apart. what it turned out to be was a leaf with a stem on it that was hard. the burn was staying on the stem and not spreading evenly to the rest of the tobacco. def changes the flavor as well.
    Interesting. I might have to try that myself and see what I see.