Home Cigar 101

Cigar, Beer, Chocolate

Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
Now, I have been experimenting with this combination quite a lot recently and am wondering if anybody has done the same? Chocolate and Beer can go very interestingly well together! What I'd do is - light a cigar and puff for a bit, drink some beer (darker usually), and eat DARK chocolate (always dark) after drinking, then puff again and repeat... I have experimented with different dark chocolates - 60%, 72%, and 80% cacao content... BTW - this combo is not for the faint of heart. If your taste buds are not attuned to both darker beer (try IPAs) and dark chocolate - you'll NOT like this...

Comments

• JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    hmmm this sounds pretty good. What kind of beer are you pairing?
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Thats too much for me. I cant or dont even want to eat anything while smoking. Only a drink and cigar.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I don't usually think of IPA as being dark beer at all. Also can't see it being any good with chocolate. IPAs tend to go better with spicy food for me. Stouts or porters seem like they would be great for this though. Anything with a heavy malted flavor.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I love Dark chocolate and cigars. Never tried beer and chocolate. As far as the chocolate I like 60% to 70% also sometimes I like dark with Chili, Sea Salt, or orange peel to cut threw the bitterness and add a little more complexety to the smoke and chocolate give it a try.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Renaissance_Man:
    Now, I have been experimenting with this combination quite a lot recently and am wondering if anybody has done the same? Chocolate and Beer can go very interestingly well together! What I'd do is - light a cigar and puff for a bit, drink some beer (darker usually), and eat DARK chocolate (always dark) after drinking, then puff again and repeat... I have experimented with different dark chocolates - 60%, 72%, and 80% cacao content... BTW - this combo is not for the faint of heart. If your taste buds are not attuned to both darker beer (try IPAs) and dark chocolate - you'll NOT like this...
    Chocolate (dark) is really very tasty with a cigar. I was at an Ashton evet last fall and they were pairing diferent cigars wth Chocolate. Maybe the salesman owned a gourmet chocolate business on he side. Kuzi, I think you may be onto something here.
    jship079:
    I love Dark chocolate and cigars. Never tried beer and chocolate. As far as the chocolate I like 60% to 70% also sometimes I like dark with Chili, Sea Salt, or orange peel to cut threw the bitterness and add a little more complexety to the smoke and chocolate give it a try.
    Lindt makes awesome versions of all three of those additions you mentioned. I LOVE the sea salt and orange peel personally. The chili, while good, is a little off for my palette.
    ..hey doc, the chilie pepper was by far my favorite. And I would never have thought that would be good. With just a hint of spice.. perfect, with a nice full cigar.
    kaspera79:
    ..hey doc, the chilie pepper was by far my favorite. And I would never have thought that would be good. With just a hint of spice.. perfect, with a nice full cigar.
    I've never tried chocolate with a cigar, but I bet I would agree with you. Something about the hint of chili seems like it would work well with a cigar! I'll have to try it. Thanks for the rec.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I used to pair chocolate milk or cafe mocha with some cigars that are known for their dark chocolate taste like Oliva G Maduro and CAO Brazilia. I've never tried eating chocolate with it, though. Seems like the dark chocolate would just drown out the drink and the cigar,as it's strong.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Yeah, chocolate (dark one) is bitter so it actually CAN go with an IPA and provide for an interesting combo... But you are right for your other beer suggestions! I have also paired 60% dark very well with Stella Artois, Blue Moon, Sam Adams Summer, etc. Whoever hasn't tried this combo should do it :). Make sure the choco is from a good maker and is more or less the "unsweetened" kind.. Some sweeten it with other stuff and its not that great. And I love the dark choco with chili paired with a peppery cigar! Its a very good flavor experience...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you all know that my wife and i make gourmet chocolates as a side business dont you?
    www.thechocolatepiggy.com

on that note...
    i dont like the combo of chocolate with a cigar. just not my thing.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    kuzi16:
    you all know that my wife and i make gourmet chocolates as a side business dont you?

He had some of his chocolates at the herf in Akron a few months back and it was great.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

on that note...
    Give your BORKs a discount? lol jk! Looks awesome bro.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

on that note...
    Danggit! I was gonna ask about ordering a sampler from your wife, but then I noticed that there's no shipping it outside Ohio :(
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    wwhwang:
    kuzi16:

on that note...
    Danggit! I was gonna ask about ordering a sampler from your wife, but then I noticed that there's no shipping it outside Ohio :(
    I'd like a sample from his wife too... ;) (sorry - I had to do it)
    wwhwang:
    kuzi16:

on that note...
    PM me and we will see what we can work out.
    Renaissance_Man:
    wwhwang:
    kuzi16:

on that note...
    brush your teeth first. she is not a big fan of cigar breath.
    kuzi16:
    Renaissance_Man:
    wwhwang:
    kuzi16:

on that note...
    .. This discussion should be moved to the pay it forward thread, " who want's to be my mooch ?" lol
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:
    Renaissance_Man:
    wwhwang:
    kuzi16:

on that note...
    .. This discussion should be moved to the pay it forward thread, " who want's to be my mooch ?" lol

Now thats funny right there.