Home Cigar 101

"Resting" cigars

Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
Why?

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    What ???
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Out of necessity. Because I bought too many to smoke them all that fast. :)
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Husker44:
    Why?
    I don't understand the question.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Is the answer to age them? lol
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    wwhwang:
    Husker44:
    Why?
    I don't understand the question.
    Why do people age cigars, is the question... I guess.

The answer is simple. Tobacco that is too fresh can be harsh, or have bad tastes associated with the fermenting process, like ammonia, that will fade with time. Obviously not all cigars need more age than they already have to be great.

A lot of people also "rest" their cigars for a certain period of time after they get them to compensate for fluctuating temperature and humidity during transit that can result in poor burn results. So a week, two weeks, a month, whatever... in the humidor, with controlled conditions, can offset the hectic conditions of travel.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    A lot of people also "rest" their cigars for a certain period of time after they get them to compensate for fluctuating temperature and humidity during transit that can result in poor burn results. So a week, two weeks, a month, whatever... in the humidor, with controlled conditions, can offset the hectic conditions of travel.
    almost word for word what i was gunna say.

i used to have a mandatory 6 week rest period in my humidor before i would light up anything that was shipped to me.
    Im not not strict about it anymore. i still try for it, but currently i am having a hard time opening the humidor up and not picking up one of those JdN i got in.

... not to mention the Avo Domaines.

i had the 6 weeks rest period because i would find that cigars that were in there for less time would more have a difficult burn more often than those that didnt have the rest period. recently though this hasnt been as much of the case. ive been trying to buy only the cigars that i like the best and fewer of the bargain brand cigars. construction is more consistent. burns are better without the 6 week rest period.
  • Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    Sorry, I was trying to keep it simple by just asking "Why?" Rather than "Why rest cigars after shipment?"
    I am getting a shipment of 20 cigars soon and I keep reading from time to time that people let them rest for a while before smoking them. I was wondering if there was a valid reason or people do it just because they have read aficionados saying they rest them.
    I'll have to re-read the answers but is there a rule of them as to how long?
  • GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    Husker44:
    Sorry, I was trying to keep it simple by just asking "Why?" Rather than "Why rest cigars after shipment?" I am getting a shipment of 20 cigars soon and I keep reading from time to time that people let them rest for a while before smoking them. I was wondering if there was a valid reason or people do it just because they have read aficionados saying they rest them. I'll have to re-read the answers but is there a rule of them as to how long?
    I've smoked a few within hours of them getting off the truck. For a more "perfect" smoke you should let them sit for a few days because the tabacco could dry out a bit during shipment. But I've never noticed a difference between right away and after a few days. If I have an itch for a certain cigar that just arrived you best believe I'm diving right in.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I have a rule of resting for 90 days. For all of the reasons already stated, nothing magic about that number of days, it's fairly arbitrary; I just figured that should cover it. I do, not infrequently, break the rule, I also have 'gars aaged considerably longer than that and most of them have been absolutely delicious.

I have read in several places that aging will not make a bad cigar good, but it can and will make a good cigar better.

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

I rest for a few weeks. I dont have a mandatory resting time. Every now wnd then I will smoke one ROTT (Right Off The Truck). I havent plotted it, but I have more problems when smoking Rott then when I have rested them for a significant amount of time.

• Its definitly harder to rest cigars when you are first starting out, or if you dont have that much already on hand...Once I got my collection to up around a constant 50-75 sticks, I have no problem resting them, because I just grab one of the other 75 looking at me straight in the face every time I open the Humi....I do confess however, Im having a hard time keeping my hands off the 5 vegas gold maduro that arrived in the mail 2 days ago!
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    here is how you figure this out. buy 2 five packs of one type of cigar. smoke one when you get it. then wait two weeks and smoke another. then wait three more weeks and try another. then try one a moth after that .As they get time in your humi you should start to notice them tasting deferent over time. then ask if resting is important. I try to wait a couple weeks before i smoke something new. notice i said TRY. some cigars taste much better with some rest or aging.
  • Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    that's a great idea, with varying rest periods.

Do you all rest cigars from B&M?