Home Non Cigar Related

Any NHL fans out there?

There are over 1000 members of this community, so I figure someone out there has to be a hockey fan. Pre-season kicked off for my favorite team (NY Rangers) last night, and they picked up right where they left off. Losing. You've got to be good at something I guess. About 7 regulars didn't dress for them, but still, it just fits that they should lose.

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I'm a fan, but not nearly as big a fan since the lockout. I've only been to one game since then. I grew up a Red Wings fan, but I converted to the 'Canes since I moved down south ('98). I also follow a bit of college hockey (Miami/CCHA), but my team has been a huge postseason disappointment. I'm a big NFL fan, so the hockey season for me usually waits until January.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I was never much of a hockey fan until I moved to Pittsburgh and started watching the Penguins. Then there was the lockout and we almost lost the team. But what they've done over the last two seasons has brought me back around. In the capacity of my job, I've had a chance to meet Mario, Jagr, Sydney Crosby, Malkin (really I've met all the current Pens) and the nature of hockey players makes you an even bigger fan. I'm a huge NFL fan, too, so I usually start paying more attention the second half of the hockey season. One thing hockey has going for it - imo it is by far and away the best sport to watch live. TV can't do that sport justice.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    The closest I got to Hockey was two things

Milwaukee Admirals Hockey (I only really got involved when the blimp floated around and dropped prizes)

and then '92 NHLPA game for the Sega Genesis... AWESOME GAME! (Great to see animated blood and two flailing legs in all it's 16-bit glory)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I love hockey, played 5 years in fact. 2 peewee, 2 Bantamn, and 1 in the adult league. My high school never had hockey, in fact hockey isn't much of a sport around me, and the only places you can play are at ice rinks, or go further up north into washington. My jr. year of HS I was on a REP team that traveled, it was fun but spendy. I played on a adult league 3 years ago but hurt my leg really bad and haven't been able to get back into it. I love to play, and to skate but it's spendy to sign up. Cool thing is I have all brand new gear (well as of 3 years ago). I still go and skate though. As for the NHL, I use to watch games all the time but since I am able to work as much overtime as I can, I miss most of them. I try to DVR them, but I never really get a chance to sit back and watch. I wish there was a NHL team in oregon but all we have is a JR. league the winterhawks. I go to a couple of their games a year but I'll never forget my stars game in dallas, that was cool. I've thought about picking up comcasts center ice package but I just don't see myself having the time.
    Lasabar:
    The closest I got to Hockey was two things

Milwaukee Admirals Hockey (I only really got involved when the blimp floated around and dropped prizes)

and then '92 NHLPA game for the Sega Genesis... AWESOME GAME! (Great to see animated blood and two flailing legs in all it's 16-bit glory)

Ah, NHLPA...I couldn't be touched in that game...that along with Tecmobowl probably the two greatest sports games ever.
  • I am a Redwings fan so don't hate me too much. In fact my username is for Detroit Redwings. Being stuck here in Korea I don't see many games but I did get to watch the Stanley Cup Finals. Sorry about your Pens. now we stole away Hossa from you as well as Conklin and Gonchar got hurt but you guys will do fine. I picked up Orpik in one of my fantasy hockey leagues. He really impressed me in the playoffs and with Gonchar injured, he should get more ice time. Also, I really like Igloo, great for watching hockey. Was impressed with Fluery back when they called him up from the minors and he beat the Wings several years back in Pittsburgh. great goalie. I used to play a bit when I lived in Cali. I was a goalie. You are right, great sport to watch and TV can't come close to a live game.
  • LCarLCar Posts: 57

Wow. Yesterday I watched the Rangers play the KHL's Metalurg Magnitogorsk...a Russian elite club. For a preseason game, what a great game it was. Rangers go down 2-0 and 3-1 and come back to win 4-3 with 0:20 left in the game. Lundqvist let in a soft goal, but still, to be playing in Switzerland against a fast Russian team...it was probably the most exciting preseason game the Rangers ever played.

I also agree that TV doesn't do it any justice. Being there is great. I've been to the Garden a few times, I've been to the old Continental Airlines Arena in NJ, and I live not too far from where the AHL's penguins play, so I've seen numerous games of theirs...great to watch in person.

• I'm looking forward to my Capitals to improve on last years performance :)
  • LCarLCar Posts: 57

jlzimmerman:
    I'm looking forward to my Capitals to improve on last years performance :)

I've gotta kind of pull for those guys too, I really love how Ovechkin plays the game, special player right there...he isnt afraid of anybody, and you've got to love Fedorov just for his years in the league. I want to get down there and see a Caps game in person...I've got to get to see Ovechkin play in person. I was out to see the Rangers/Pens in Pittsburgh too, and I saw Crosby & Malkin play...I like Malkin...not much of a Crosby fan though. The Caps have veterans and young talent now though, and they've got some depth. They are getting much closer to where they want to be.

• rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Well I am a huge hockey fan and glad to see others here although I can't speak for your tastes in teams. Especially the Wings fans.

I can't say much about my team right now either though because they lost their season opener last night too. BTW, my team is the Colorado Avalanche. I like college hockey too, but what's not to like when you come from a state that has 2 of the best teams in the NCAA. The Colorado College Tigers and the Denver University Pioneers.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I can take a LOT of abuse... I am a LEAF's fan!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've never been an NHL fan but I'm trying to get into it this year. I'm in Dallas so I gotta pull for the Stars, plus I can get a special deal for Law Enforcement where we get half price tickets to see Stars vs. L.A. so I'm gonna try to get to that game.
    Hmmm, Dallas is only a few hours away. Any chance on getting discount tickets for the Stars vs. Avalanche games? We could enjoy a couple of sticks and some drinks too.
    I'll have to check the poster we have in the break room and see which all games they are offering it for. Can get tickets on the South end of the rink lower level for like $40.
    That's a pretty good price for NHL tickets, especially if they are not in the nosebleeds. Might be worth a drive to the Big D from San Antonio. Let me know and maybe we can work something out.
    Well they only have 2 games for the Law Enforcement deal and neither are against the Avalanche. The first game is L.A. on Nov 13th and I don't remember who the second was, but it's not till Feb.
    Dang it. Oh well, maybe some other time. With my school schedule it would have to be a Friday or Saturday night game anyway for me to drive up to Dallas.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    I'm surprised noone *cough* Luko *cough* has said anything about the latest Ovechkin incident. Me, being a long time Caps fan, understand. I understand the ejection, suspension, and pay deduction. I would even understand if the suspension is longer. The beef that I have is that the NHL has no consistency with discipline.

AO was punished for this PUSH, while Matt Cooke, a repeat offender (like AO) and suspendee for prior head shots, got NOTHING, not even an in-game penalty for intentionally trying to take Savard's head off. Savard incurred a grade 2 concussion because of it.

Some would argue that because Cooke'**** wasn't illegal, but the thing is, if Campbell didn't get injured by AO's boarding he wouldn't have been suspended. The NHL needs to get their heads out of their ass.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Holy old thread, Batman!
    jlzimmerman:
    I'm surprised noone *cough* Luko *cough* has said anything about the latest Ovechkin incident. Me, being a long time Caps fan, understand. I understand the ejection, suspension, and pay deduction. I would even understand if the suspension is longer. The beef that I have is that the NHL has no consistency with discipline.

AO was punished for this PUSH, while Matt Cooke, a repeat offender (like AO) and suspendee for prior head shots, got NOTHING, not even an in-game penalty for intentionally trying to take Savard's head off. Savard incurred a grade 2 concussion because of it.

Some would argue that because Cooke'**** wasn't illegal, but the thing is, if Campbell didn't get injured by AO's boarding he wouldn't have been suspended. The NHL needs to get their heads out of their ass.
    The Cooke hit is exactly why I didn't say anything. Dirty is dirty.