Home Non Cigar Related

Beers

So I've really started to get into different beers after being a german/irish stout-only guy and most the Sam Adams (old engine oil is a black lager I am very fond of btw, found it at this scottish pub in richmond hill GA). Found a nice IPA, dogfish head 60 minute and am thinking that I am i dire need of exploring the world of beer. What all are some beers you BOTL recommend?

Comments

• JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Check out every beer Rogue has put out. Same with Red Hook. Dogfish head also puts out plenty of other beers and most are really good.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I recently discovered Harpoon Leviathan IIPA, which is a great Imperial IPA. I got a four pack while on vacation. The alcohol is a little high in it though, but I found that pouring it in a glass, rather than drinking it from the bottle, helps keep the alcohol from affecting the flavors.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Sierra Nevada Pale ale is amazing
    Dogfish head also great
    If you live anywhere near a BJ's brewhouse and resturaunt go there asap great beers.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I used to really be into the IIPA's and other hop monsters but prefer the maltier brews now. I don't know if you can get it down there, but Robert The Bruce Scottish Ale from Three Floyds is a great one.
    Fat Tire from new belgium brewing is a pretty solid malty brew.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wwestern:
    total agreement with this. Flying Dog Gonzo Porter, named after Hunter S. Thompson, pairs well with any Maduro. More than pairs well, decidedly enhances the flavor.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Iam in Essex Junction Vermont this week with the wife ...... shes workin iama playin........ hopefully the weather cooperates and i can get in a few rounds of golf in ..... but we h=are going to the magic hat brewery ( one of the wifes favs) ..... if we had a lil more time we'd hit up Harpoon and Longtrail
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Victory beers are great...had an IPA - Hop Devil - this past weekend that was awesome. Also, an amber beer called Pious Monk that is brewed here in Pittsburgh on the site of a decomissioned church. One of the better beers I've ever had.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Since IPAs stouts n porters have been covered so far. You have to try all the Belgian style beers. Abbey dubbels and quads are my favorites. Dark strong ales are very good as well. St. Bernardus Abt 12 if you can find it is amazing. As far as non import Ommegang makes incredible Belgian style beer in the US.
  • thehoffthehoff Posts: 76
    gaberox:
    Since IPAs stouts n porters have been covered so far. You have to try all the Belgian style beers. Abbey dubbels and quads are my favorites. Dark strong ales are very good as well. St. Bernardus Abt 12 if you can find it is amazing. As far as non import Ommegang makes incredible Belgian style beer in the US.
    Whenever I head Belgian style beers I think Blue Moon (which I loath). Am I way off base?
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    If you are in the market for a nice IPA, I highly recommend Yards' IPA it's probably my favorite. I like just about everything from them. They have a beer called Brawler that I absolutely adore.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    pyramid hefewiezen on tap in my kegorator. hope it lasts till october so i can refill it with sam adams october fest.
    thehoff:
    gaberox:

Whenever I head Belgian style beers I think Blue Moon (which I loath). Am I way off base?

Blue Moon is the fake Cuban cigar equavilant of beer. Just do some reseach or feel to ask any qstns. Authentic Belgian beers are regarded as arguably the best in the world.
    BM is a Belg style wit which isnt the best style for Bgns. Real ones are very good though.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    thehoff:
    Hoegaarden is much better.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    wwestern:
    I like Fat Tire, but New Belgiums other brews are better to me. 1554 is a black ale with deep chocolate tones and is great with a spicy cigar. Blue Paddle is a Pilsner-Lager that is awesome, especially off the tap.
    wwhwang:
    thehoff:
    Hoegaarden is much better.

It is better as far as Wit beers go. They are wheat beer and very very different from the heavy hitters in the world of Blegian styel beer. Heres a link to my favorite.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/259/1708
  • Ironworker63Ironworker63 Posts: 185
    Bells Two Hearted Ale is one of my favorite IPA's...A must try for any IPA drinker, you won't be disappointed. Bell's Brewery, Inc. formerly Kalamazoo Brewing Company in Michigan. Check it out at www.bellsbeer.com COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION: "India Pale Ale style well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula. American malts and enormous hop additions give this beer a crisp finish and incredible floral hop aroma."
    I have yet to find a massively produced wheat that I'm thrilled with.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    like the song goes " god is great , beer is good and people are crazy". my thoughts on this is: beer ,pizza and women are alot alike. you might not be with your favorite , but it will get the job done.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Just stopped off at the Schlafly Tap Room to pick up a few growlers to share with my buddies in KC this weekend. Going to visit Outlaw, hang out at my knifemaker buddies' shop and drink some tasty brews.

I chose the limited release India Brown Ale and the year-round Oatmeal Stout for this trip.
    http://www.schlafly.com/beers.shtml

On the way back to StL with my empty growlers I'll swing by Flat Branch in Columbia and fill back up with the Green Chili Beer
    http://www.flatbranch.com/beers.asp?7

and the Indigo American Lager
    http://www.flatbranch.com/beers.asp?99

Man, I'm thirsty
    One2gofst:
    Just stopped off at the Schlafly Tap Room to pick up a few growlers to share with my buddies in KC this weekend. Going to visit Outlaw, hang out at my knifemaker buddies' shop and drink some tasty brews.

I chose the limited release India Brown Ale and the year-round Oatmeal Stout for this trip.
    http://www.schlafly.com/beers.shtml

On the way back to StL with my empty growlers I'll swing by Flat Branch in Columbia and fill back up with the Green Chili Beer
    http://www.flatbranch.com/beers.asp?7

and the Indigo American Lager
    http://www.flatbranch.com/beers.asp?99

Man, I'm thirsty
    That Green Chili beer sounds awesome. Ship me some of that haha!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    docbp87:
    I recently discovered Harpoon Leviathan IIPA, which is a great Imperial IPA. I got a four pack while on vacation. The alcohol is a little high in it though, but I found that pouring it in a glass, rather than drinking it from the bottle, helps keep the alcohol from affecting the flavors.
    From a beer snob, any IPA should be poured into a glass. Much like scotch, half the enjoyment of an IPA is the aroma. Actually, that should go for any good beer. Not just IPAs.

Speaking of IPAs! Dogfishhead's 60 minute is excellent, the 90 minute is unbelievable. Anything from Stone or Rogue is fabulous. The Stone Ruination IPA is pretty ridiculous both in price and in taste. :) If you can find any Michigan beers - New Holland Brewing company makes a ton of great beer, as does Bell's and Founder's.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Ironworker63:
    Bells Two Hearted Ale is one of my favorite IPA's...A must try for any IPA drinker, you won't be disappointed. Bell's Brewery, Inc. formerly Kalamazoo Brewing Company in Michigan. Check it out at www.bellsbeer.com COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION: "India Pale Ale style well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula. American malts and enormous hop additions give this beer a crisp finish and incredible floral hop aroma."

Great Hoppy IPA right there.^

Sam Smith makes some great porter if you're into that.

Also really recommend Spotted Cow from New Glarus brewing.
    There is an IPA that is amazing. I forgot the name. Tomorrow after work I will run by my local grocery store to grab a bottle to share the name with you guys.
    Ok the beer I was talking about last night was Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. I love that beer. Its amazing in taste and price. Like $3 for a 22oz bottle.
    OK, so I drank the growler of the Oatmeal Stout the other night, but replaced it for my trip with a growler of Rye IPA from Buffalo Brewing Co.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16840/43895/?ba=brewintheLou
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I really like Lake Erie Monster from Great Lakes Brewery. It sucks that its only seasonal but I look forward to it every year just like Christmas Ale.
    Just got home from a great trip with my two growlers of Flat Branch beers in my fridge! Also tried the two beers at Outlaw Cigar with my buds. Great beer. Tried the Cain Nub. Good tick. Awesome friends. Good times.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Any beer brewed by Belgian monks. Rochefort especially.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    Speaking of IPAs! Dogfishhead's 60 minute is excellent, the 90 minute is unbelievable. Anything from Stone or Rogue is fabulous. The Stone Ruination IPA is pretty ridiculous both in price and in taste. :) If you can find any Michigan beers - New Holland Brewing company makes a ton of great beer, as does Bell's and Founder's.
    This. The Founder's Breakfast Stout is one of my favorites. Stone anything is great, when the MoW Ruination came out, I had several twin Ruination nights, even tho they don't really pair that well.
    A local store just started carrying Great Divide Yeti Russian Imperial Stout and Hercules Double IPA. Both excellent brews.

Tatuaje, being from MI, do you drink any Dark Horse stuff? I've only had the Crooked Tree IPA, but I remember liking that a lot.