Home Ratings & Reviews

Padilla Dominus Robusto

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
Padilla Dominus

Robusto 5x50

This is a stick I have smoked a fair amount of, as they regularly pop up on specials for great prices. They are pretty expensive at MSRP, but when you can find them as low as 4$ each, they are more than worth it.

The Dominus is a sultry little ***, with a slick, dark chocolate (not maduro dark) wrapper. The foot gives an aroma of spice and earth. The prelight draw is peppery and tastes of sweet tobacco.

Lit at 12:09

Immediately I am liking the flavors right off the draw, which are creamy but dry. The flavor is very rich and deep. There is a good pepper zing that coats the mouth on the finish.

Early in the first third, the spice has developed some complexity. There is a good mix of cinnamon and pepper, with a dry, peppery finish that washes up from the rear of the palette. Burn line is a little wavy. Hopefully it will correct itself. Having a hard time not drawing too often, as the flavors are very intense and complex, as I prefer them. I am noticing a little bit of a tunnel developing about 1/4 inch from the second third. I am able to sort this out after dropping the ash and realizing that I was smoking too slowly! Quick touch up and everything seems fine.

Right around the halfway point I started to notice a steady flavor transition, with the spice falling back a bit and a deep leather flavor coming on the draw, with a pretty hearty coffee bite on the finish. Very pleasant. I want to eat this cigar. Nom Nom Nom.

The flavor is pretty consistent into the final third, and remains so through the nub, with the pepper coming back in the last inch and a half.

Ended at 1:26, for a total burn time of 1:15. Pretty good time for such a small stick. Tons of flavors and transitions too. Highly recommended. Solid medium-full body all the way through. Smoked it till it burned my fingers!

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I Really Really love the dominus. Wish they werent so damn expensive...i always a day late and dollar short when it comes to the deals on these. The flavor is really very rich and i do agree there is a healthy dose of coffee....like freshly ground beans smelled really closely
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I have had the Robusto, and while I enjoyed it, I don't like Robusto's much. I got a box of the Chuchills, and while I only like Churchills in a select few sticks... this is definately one of them. Very tasty. I am sure I have sent out a few of these, I thought there would be more feedback on these.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I think I got one from you, though I didn't really like it all that much. I wanted too, sounded good but nope, not my kind of smoke.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    My favorite part of the review: "Nom Nom Nom"

I had a couple of these and really enjoyed them, though I think in the Toro vitola. One I need to revist soon. Nice review!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I really liked this cigar in the robusto size after 6 months. The churchill is also very good and the torpedo is as well...I think the torpedo is my favorite size, but further testing is needed. The robusto grande is also good, though my least favorite of the four sizes I've tried.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I really liked this cigar in the robusto size after 6 months. The churchill is also very good and the torpedo is as well...I think the torpedo is my favorite size, but further testing is needed. The robusto grande is also good, though my least favorite of the four sizes I've tried.

Hell of an idea Joe! Smoking my last torpedo of a pack i bought right before i went on deployment last june....after one year....OH MY GOD!!!! What a change...i remember this being a very spicy stick with massive earthy flavors but a year has mellowed out the spice and actually brought out more of a sweet leathery note. Draw is firm but trimming the tip down a wee just fixed that....about an inch in the spice is starting to come back but its more subdued...still on the full end of the scale...maybe the lower end of it but definatley full......All in all if you can get some of these and ignore em for a year they get waaaay better, not to say they aent awesome already....just wish i could find a deal or two on em...
    Edit: Make that upper end of the full scale....in the last third and this thing just pimp slapped me!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    j0z3r:

Hell of an idea Joe! Smoking my last torpedo of a pack i bought right before i went on deployment last june....after one year....OH MY GOD!!!! What a change...i remember this being a very spicy stick with massive earthy flavors but a year has mellowed out the spice and actually brought out more of a sweet leathery note. Draw is firm but trimming the tip down a wee just fixed that....about an inch in the spice is starting to come back but its more subdued...still on the full end of the scale...maybe the lower end of it but definatley full......All in all if you can get some of these and ignore em for a year they get waaaay better, not to say they aent awesome already....just wish i could find a deal or two on em...
    Edit: Make that upper end of the full scale....in the last third and this thing just pimp slapped me!
    you know what that means right? You need to be sure to work it better....
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Posted a new, longer, more thorough review, with photos on SIO: HERE
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Nice review. I've been wondering about these for a while. Makes me want to pick some up to try. Damn budget.
    I wasn't thrilled with the Robusto, but I still have one to give it another go. The Churchills are great after a few months in the humidor though.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    I've only smoke 1 Dominus. Didn't really do anything for me. I think i had it built up in my mind to much.

I got a few resting and will try again in a month or so and see if I change my mind.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

I didnt care for this one at all!

• Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    So far I have had one of these in a robusto and I thought it was great! Very rich and tasty.
    Duder2:
    So far I have had one of these in a robusto and I thought it was great! Very rich and tasty.
    I like the cigar in the Churchill (which is a switch for me) I just don't like it i the Robusto.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    laker1963:
    Duder2:
    I like the cigar in the Churchill (which is a switch for me) I just don't like it i the Robusto.
    Hmm, sounds like I'll have to try it in a churchill as well... If it's better than the robusto that will be a damn tasty stick!