Home General Discussion

Can spanish cedar be to thick?

I was going to sit down and make my own Humidor but I have come across a problem, the local shops only sell Spanish Cedar in 5/8th" and most Humidor's that I see run the cedar at about 1/8th". I can't think of any reason that a thick cedar wall would affect the cigars but I wanted to ask and see if any of you can think of a reason a 5/8th" wall would effect them?

Comments

• rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    sane:
    I was going to sit down and make my own Humidor but I have come across a problem, the local shops only sell Spanish Cedar in 5/8th" and most Humidor's that I see run the cedar at about 1/8th". I can't think of any reason that a thick cedar wall would affect the cigars but I wanted to ask and see if any of you can think of a reason a 5/8th" wall would effect them?
    I personally don't think you'll find any problems with the cedar being too thick... If it were too thin (e.g. lets say practically a laminate) then you could potentially have problems with it not regulating well, but the opposite wouldn't be so...

As for why most of the humidors you see run thinner, it really just comes down to costs... Spanish cedar is expensive, so it only makes sense for them to limit their costs as much as possible... For one person building their own, the cost is probably small... But multiply that by thousands of humidors and now you're talking a substantial savings...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    agreed. to small may be a problem but a bit too thich shouldnt be.

• sanesane Posts: 151
    rusirius:
    I personally don't think you'll find any problems with the cedar being too thick... If it were too thin (e.g. lets say practically a laminate) then you could potentially have problems with it not regulating well, but the opposite wouldn't be so...

As for why most of the humidors you see run thinner, it really just comes down to costs... Spanish cedar is expensive, so it only makes sense for them to limit their costs as much as possible... For one person building their own, the cost is probably small... But multiply that by thousands of humidors and now you're talking a substantial savings...
    Thanks, that's what I figured but, you never know. Next step is finding the time to build it.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I agree with the others, but let me also say that your seasoning time is likely going to be a lot longer, as you're trying to bring a lot more wood up to the proper humidity. The great news is that, once seasoned, it should do an excellent job of holding steady.
    dutyje:
    I agree with the others, but let me also say that your seasoning time is likely going to be a lot longer, as you're trying to bring a lot more wood up to the proper humidity. The great news is that, once seasoned, it should do an excellent job of holding steady.
    Thanks, I didn't think about that.
    Over the weekend I went to the hardware shop and picked up some Spanish Cedar, the guy quoted me the wrong size on the phone it was a full 1" think. As I was picking through the wood trying to find the best board I found one reason not to use think Spanish Cedar. If it is think and has not been compliantly dried out then it seeps sap and that could get messy.

After finding a good clean, dry board I went home I spent the next two hours building the humidor. Its not that nice looking (didn't put a lot into the fancy stuff) but it works and I really only planed on using it for aging and to hold the cigars that I want to smoke soon in the 20 ct.

P.S. The smell of fresh cut Spanish Cedar is amazing.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    mmmmm.... Cedrela... It's what's for dinner!