Home General Discussion

Its just not fair.

So, dont get me wrong, flavor for money, 5 vegas value cant be beat, but i'll be darned if i dont have a burn issue every single time i smoke one.

Had a 5 vegas gold last night, tunneled mid stick, had to take out my ultrasharp pruning shears to slice and relight.  Had a 5 vegas miami the next afternoon, tunneled, had to repeat the above action.  Had a 5 vegas 'A' with a friend at the bar, had to douse it midstick because i dont bring pruning shears to the bar and i didnt have anything remotely sharp enough to "cleanly" slice it, that was the one that killed me :(

It really annoys me to death because i really do love the flavor, but, i feel like im pulling teeth to keep them lit sometimes.  I can sometimes stave off tunneling if i roll and squeeze the stick in my hand to clean up the draw, but  I switch it up with a RP or a monte and no problem, it seems tunneling is intrinsic for me when i smoke those vegas, which kills me because i love the flavor.

Can anyone relate?

Comments

• rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Never had that problem with the 5 Vegas stuff... Let me ask you something... You mention rolling and squeezing... Do you do that often? The reason I ask is, while yes, this would loosen the draw, in my mind it would also loosen the tobacco right in the center of the stick... Actually, that's why it would loosen the draw... By the very nature of the beast if the very center is much looser than the outside, it's going to burn quicker and easier there, hence possibly causing your tunneling?

Perhaps the reason you don't have the problem with others is that their draw is looser to begin with so you don't do that?

I dunno, just a couple thoughts...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Interesting thought Greg, I'd tend to agree.

I've only ever had one burn issue with a 5 Vegas, and that was an over-humidified Limitada 2006... that one wanted to tunnel on me several times. Aside from that one though, all the 5 Vegas cigars I've had burn exceptionally straight and even.
  • rusirius:
    Never had that problem with the 5 Vegas stuff... Let me ask you something... You mention rolling and squeezing... Do you do that often? The reason I ask is, while yes, this would loosen the draw, in my mind it would also loosen the tobacco right in the center of the stick... Actually, that's why it would loosen the draw... By the very nature of the beast if the very center is much looser than the outside, it's going to burn quicker and easier there, hence possibly causing your tunneling?

Perhaps the reason you don't have the problem with others is that their draw is looser to begin with so you don't do that?

I dunno, just a couple thoughts...

Nah, I tend to only roll and squeeze when its already tunneled, to try and get things moving again.  Sounds like im just the odd man out on this one.

Where do you keep the humidity of your humi? Is it possible it's too humid?
  • 65-68 RH, always.  shrug.
    Got me! Wish I had a better idea for you!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    what was the humidity in the air around you? If it was too humid that could be the source of your problems.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    wow, that is just crappy. I've never had a cigar tunnel on me but maybe I've been lucky. like kuzi said, maybe it's the humidity...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I had a damn Oliva G perfecto tunnel and blow out the side on me yesterday. AGGHHH! Damn cigar was only four inches long and an inch into it I had a burn hole pop out about an inch below where the burn line was, talk about some serious corrective lighting.
  • kuzi16:
    what was the humidity in the air around you? If it was too humid that could be the source of your problems.

Yeah i thought about that, but i was both outside and in a bar,  kind of hard to think that both were too humid.

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I can't recall ever having a burn issue with a 5 Vegas, other than when it was way too humid outdoors. Have you got a guillotine cutter? Should do a much better job than pruning shears, and fits in the pocket.