Home Cigar 101

Plume

JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
I pulled out a Piloto Cubano Ive had for like 2 years sitting in my humidor without the cello. The plume was like small hairs all over the cigar and I couldnt believe it. I havent seen it that long on any of my cigars before. Sucks that the wind was horrible and blowing right back at the cigar so it kept going out. Im sure it wouldve been a delicious cigar.
"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Sucks you couldn't finish the smoke. I have a La Aurora Preferido Emerald that has a couple of plume spots. I think it's almost time to put that stick into its ashy grave.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Ive got atleast 4 more sticks with the same age. The Piloto Cubano is a cheapo stick that I got for $20 for 20 but still its been a decent stick through and through.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if it was 3D then it wasnt plume.

plume is 2D

if it was 3D it was probably mold.

... hope i didnt burst a bubble.

and if you are freaking out that it wasnt safe to smoke then stop.... because it probably was safe. Camacho diploma maduro has a tendency to mold easily. i cant tell you how many times that ive wiped off the mold off of one (at a local B&M) and just lit it right up. still tasted great. the only time you should worry is if the mold is BAD and is consuming the cigar... or if you can see on the foot that it is all through the filler.
    I thought plume was supposed to be hair like. Hmm I dont think it was mold because it was even on the wrapper. And it was crystalline looking. Im not exactly sure. Ill see if any of the others have it and ill try and take some Macro pictures.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Nope; like Kuzi said - mold is 3D and fluffy, plume is 2D and dusty
    lol this wasnt fluffy though. like single hairs. *goes to look at other pilotos*
    and it shouldnt move. plume is the result of oils coming to the surface and turning to crystals. by nature it wont be 3D at all.
    Ok i took some pics and will upload momentarily.
    I've seen cigars with hairy wrappers. They kind of look like rough brown packaging paper. Like the others have said, plume is 2D. It also is "sparkly" if you look at it. The sparkle, if I recall, is due to the crystalline residue left by the oil as it evaporates.
    imageimageimageimage
    yea they are definitely sparkly too. now im just confused on what this stuff is lol. the sparkle is there and so are these hairs.
    Hate to say it, but I don't think that's plume. The defining feature of plume is that it's 2D and they're in spots.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Doesn't look like plume or mold to me... but I've only seen each of them a handful of times. I have however seen many cigars in which that particular line of cigars, the tobacco wrapper just has little hair looking strands sticking off of it. Do all of the cigars you have of that kind have those hairs on them? Could just be the kind of tobacco.
    Yea all of the Piloto Cubanos have that so maybe like you said its just the wrapper. But they do sparkle so thats gotta be some plume. These suckers are about 2 years old and theyve been resting without the cello right on the cedar of the humidor for that amount of time.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Soooooooooo............ plume is good????
    firetruckguy:
    yea plume shows age.
    GadwinDuil:
    Doesn't look like plume or mold to me... but I've only seen each of them a handful of times. I have however seen many cigars in which that particular line of cigars, the tobacco wrapper just has little hair looking strands sticking off of it. Do all of the cigars you have of that kind have those hairs on them? Could just be the kind of tobacco.
    i was gunna say almost the same thing. there is no mold that i can see, though that is structure. it looks like "fuzzy" tobacco.
    kuzi16:
    GadwinDuil:
    i was gunna say almost the same thing. there is no mold that i can see, though that is structure. it looks like "fuzzy" tobacco.
    Weird lol. Damn fuzzy tobaccy.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I had a 5 Vegas Cask Strength that looked like that the other day, I believe its the wrapper...
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Plume is not an exact indication of age or a direct result of age, but is commonly correlated with aged cigars. As someone said, it's the oils in the tobacco coming to the surface in crystal form. What you have looks like neither mold nor plume but fuzz, much like the fuzz on a peach and various other plants.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Several of my cigars have the same 'hairs' on the wrapper, when you look close enough. Can reallly see it in the sunlight. It's never ever turned into anything worse, and they smoke just fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Think of the sparkles as "flavor buds". Don't wipe them off, just light up and enjoy!

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Those are called trichomes (the same structure on marijuana plants, but without the ooomph), they are small hair-like structures on the surface of the leaf interspersed around the stomata. Not plume, just a cigar wrapper that forgot to shave.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I had a montecristo platinum tubo once that was so fuzzy it was like a carpet! Good smoke though.
    firetruckguy:
    Plume shows that a cigar has been resting at optimal humidity/temperature long enough for the oils inside to distribute evenly and rise to the surface; it's pretty much an indicator that the cigar has been at the proper RH/temp for a few years and has been aged properly.
    cabinetmaker:
    Those are called trichomes (the same structure on marijuana plants, but without the ooomph), they are small hair-like structures on the surface of the leaf interspersed around the stomata. Not plume, just a cigar wrapper that forgot to shave.
    Huh, ya learn something new everyday; interesting tidbit . . . . but I'm wondering - how do you know what mary jane looks like up close? ;)
    xmacro:
    cabinetmaker:
    Huh, ya learn something new everyday; interesting tidbit . . . . but I'm wondering - how do you know what mary jane looks like up close? ;)
    In a previous life, I used to grow it. Oh, and that's a matter of public record, unfortunately.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I have a smoke that has those hairs on it also. Its about 4 years aged
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Finding a cigar with some nice plume on it is a rare treat in itself, I have only had the pleasure of a couple of my cigars having plume on them and they were a treat. The plume looked like it was sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar. I just brushed it off and smoked my cigar, it was great.

"Long ashes my friends."

I have a bunch of Partegas 150 year serie C's covered in plume. Best cigar I've ever smoked.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Kaleira has good photos of Plume V. Mold w closeups. You should check out his site for that, not sure where it is, but he posted them here over a year ago...