Home Cigar 101

Humidor

I am a newbie.  Just started smoking about 6 months ago.  I don't have a humidor, and don't know much more than just trying out what I like.  In the beginning, is a jar okay to hold, and what do you do to keep them.

Comments

• Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    First things first. :D Welcome to the boards. Since you are starting out, a couple of things. Humidification is important to the storage and smokability of fine cigars. Are you just buying 5 at a time and smoking them rapidly? Then a sealable jar with some type of humidifier will work; a moist paper towel inside a baggie for example, so the water does not come in contact with the cigars.

As your interest (or addiction :P ) progresses and your palate starts to become educated, you will find yourself buying more and storing them. At this point you can probably step up to what is referred to as a "tupperdore"; a tupperware container capable of holding more cigars, as well as storing them horizontally which is preferred vs standing them on end like a jar requires. You will also need to find a better humidification device, as well as a way to acurately measure the humidity. Digital is the way to go there.

Eventually you will take the plunge and buy a humidor; and listen well...take how big of a humidor you think you will need, multiply that number by two, and add 25. Trust me ;)
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    Eventually you will take the plunge and buy a humidor; and listen well...take how big of a humidor you think you will need, multiply that number by two, and add 25. Trust me ;)
    I thought it was multiply times 25 and add two.
    rdnstn:
    Smoke=Fire:
    I thought it was multiply times 25 and add two.

I think you might be right, especially given the state of my humidor, secondary humidor, and tupperdore o.O
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Yes Yes you'll need bigger than what you think I have two tupperdore full with gel beads and a 150 piece humidor......you''ll need to get bigger than what you think.
  • Those guys are right.  Go bigger than you think.  I've only been smoking for about a year, and I got a desktop humidor that holds about 30 cigars and I've got it packed 100% of the time. 
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I started with a 50ct then added on a 150ct... and another 150ct.

i still cant buy a box of cigars because they are too full... whatever.
    Actually, that is the problem; you can always buy another box of cigars.

Finding the place to put them all...a-HA! That is the issue here ;)
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    I have the same issue. Go much bigger than you think you'll need.
  • LarryDLarryD Posts: 59
    Yeah, I'm wishing I could find a nice commercial unit at an auction or something.
  • Thanks for all the replies.

I smoke about 1 - 2 per week at a Cigar Bar here on Long Island.  I just tried an Ashton VSG and I tell you what... that's a good Cigar.  We had an event and I bought 3 and received a San Christobal for free.  I started smoking a regular Padron during the week and now see that I will purchase a Humidor.  I figure about 50 might have been good, but after reading the posts maybe I'll get the 120 Humidor I saw that I like.

Thanks everyone!

cbenjamin63:
    I figure about 50 might have been good, but after reading the posts maybe I'll get the 120 Humidor I saw that I like.

Thanks everyone!

And it starts...Muahahahahahaaa!
  • carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    I agree with going bigger than what you think. The 120 ct. sounds about perfect. I don't know if you would want to go much bigger than that for your first because if you think about it, a 120 cigars is a lot of cigars. Good luck with the purchase.
  • matt.hickeymatt.hickey Posts: 54
    So in response to the hygrometer check I have some interesting facts. I only post here because it is more active. Is it normal for an analog Hygrometer to be off by 35%? -Matt
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    I don't know about normal, but I have had one off by 20% before. I wasn't sure if it was even working until i did the salt test and then let it sit for a while before I did the test again. The second test went back to 70%. So I am sure it is possible but you may want to make sure it is working properly.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Just a couple of thoughts

One thing about the "count" size of a humidor is if your humidor claims it's a 200 count, what are we talking about, petite coronas, coronas, robustos, churchills? You can't expect a humidor that may hold 200 Corona's to be able to hold 200 Churchills. Between all the different cigar sizes that are available and your personnal preferences.....realistically, good luck getting 200 cigars in it, that would only happen in a perfect world.

Another area I feel affecting capacity would be the way you buy cigars. If you buy boxes, you probably would "stack" them higher/deeper because they're all the same cigar. However, if you buy 5ers for the most part (like me), you probably won't "stack" as high or as deep because you would not want to cover (crowd) any one type with another.

IMHO, I would consider the actual count would be 2/3 to 3/4 of what is claimed.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I gotta agree with ash on this. For example, my desktop humi claims 50-70 sticks. I have 42 sticks in there now with room for maybe 1 more.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when they calculate the size of the humidor they use "classic cuban size" cigars. Most cuband have a ring of 42-48. most being 44... at least as far as the "classics" go. ...plus they are only 4 inches or so long. Smaller cigars = more fitting into the humidor.