Home Cigar 101

Smoking cigars in Hot environment

Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
Last night was probably the "coolest" night I have smoked a cigar here in Iraq...my question is whether the high temperatures outdoors can dry out cigars and have an affect the way it smokes? I know several times when the temperatures are between 110-125 it seems like the cigars dried out within a short amount of time.

Comments

• ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Best piece of advice I can give you is smoke in the morning right before sunrise. Sorry man I work evenings, But I do agree it seems that every other cigar starts to flake the last third of it. It smokes fine but the wrapper starts to flake. I keep my smokes at 65 +/-2 I'm sure that the temp does have some affect though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the dry air is a bigger factor than the heat.

id keep my cigars at 70%rh is i was there. not sure what else to tell you. i have very little experience with cigars in that kind of weather.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    smoking in dry heat seems to kill cigars. here in las vegas i dont even try to enjoy a smoke till the sun goes down. and the fact that your in the dry dessert, forget about it.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    what about when its crazy humid outside? I'm in galveston and its been hovering around 90% humidity for the last few months

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    yeah, I live in FL - the humidity doesn't do too much, so long as you don't leave the stick out (eg - take it out of humi, walk outside, and light it - no dillydallying). But if it's a longer stick (say 6 or 7"), the wrapper starts to crack on me before and after lighting (for some reason, only the foot cracks)
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

I don't enjoy smoking in hot & humid weather. I start to enjoy it when fall arrives!!!!

• Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Thx all for the advice, tried smoking near my room door with the A/C on and it didn't seem too bad...hopefully this desert heat will cool down eventually in about a month or two
  • SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    I'm in Baghdad so I know your pain first hand. I don't even attempt to smoke in the summer months here. I wait till it cools off in the fall. Fall isn't a bad season here for smoking. It is a constant battle though keeping your humidity where you want it. Generators go down for maintence and hooches can easily reach 90 to 100 degrees during that period. Not a real good environment here.