Home Cigar 101

different wrappers

kos22uskos22us Posts: 47
hi, just wanted to see if you guys could bring me up to speed on the wrapper situation, as far as what all different wrappers there are and let me know which is your favorite thanks ... Jack in PA

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Well, there are TONS of wrappers, but it broad terms the big ones are:
    Candela/Claro
    Connecticut
    Sumatra
    Cameroon
    Habano
    Oscuro
    Maduro

Now, maduro isn't actually a leaf, just a specific process by which a wrapper leaf is fermented and prepared resulting in a generally darker and more heavily fermented leaf. Candela is, by my understanding, almost the opposite, leaving the wrapper still pretty much green in color, and grassy in flavor. Oscuro is not a seed either, but rather a process by which a leaf is left on the plant longer allowing it to absorb more sunlight and nutrients, resulting in a much darker leaf. Connecticut is generally associated with milder cigars. Habano with fuller bodied cigars (Habano meaning Cuban seed, the big ones being Criollo and Corojo) Cameroon is from Africa, and has (in my opinion) a slightly sweet, fruity element to it.

Personally I love a little bit of everything but Cameroon and Corojo are my favorites. I'm sure Kuzi-cyclopedia will be here soon to drop mad knowledge.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    kos22us:
    hi, just wanted to see if you guys could bring me up to speed on the wrapper situation, as far as what all different wrappers there are and let me know which is your favorite thanks ... Jack in PA
    look on the second page of general 101. there is a thread that is titled "looking for that old post" . READ IT ! there is whole bunch of cigar vocabulary for you. you will learn alot. and welcome aboard....
  • vegassparky:
    kos22us:
    look on the second page of general 101. there is a thread that is titled "looking for that old post" . READ IT ! there is whole bunch of cigar vocabulary for you. you will learn alot. and welcome aboard....
    James, thanks for the heads up on that thread, I've been on awhile, but hadn't seen it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kos22us:
    read the "blending 101" thread in my signature.

it may help a bunch.

its not complete. i dont think anyone has a full list of every wrapper ever used.
    there is almost variations of wrappers due to so many factors: priming, country, strain of tobacco, growing conditions, fermentation and curing processes, etc.
    too many to even contemplate.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    decidedly you should read Kuzi's thread, very educational
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ^ True. Kuzi knows more about cigars, the blending/rolling/tasting/everything than most B&M owners